Mr. Not

Spaceman Spiff

• Members *
  • 102770 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 07:45 PM

View Postbathory, on 17 November 2014 - 07:34 PM, said:

some of yall got your goggles on!

View Postbathory, on 17 November 2014 - 07:37 PM, said:

the n64 is awesome, but I think nostalgia makes folks think it's better than it is.

Agreed, but as for me, I'm not trying to be objective and basing this on sales, innovation, or anything like that. Nostalgia can be as much of a factor as it'd like to be in determining a personal top 5 :D

an objective top 5 would have to include the NES ranked at or near the top.

Sponsored Post

#22 LedRush

LedRush

The Counterparts Remain The Same

• Members *
  • 28696 posts
  • Interests:Family, guitar, classic video games, Ted Nugent, non-fiction books

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:10 PM

the n64 is awesome, but I think nostalgia makes folks think it's better than it is.

outside of nintendo and rare stuff, there wasn't a whole lot of great shit. no rpgs except quest 64, no exclusives for adults except perfect dark and goldeneye...

I think that most of people who complain that nintendo doesn't have adult games are tweeners and teens....adults actually like the stuff.

#23 The Analog Cub

The Analog Cub

Cutler's Like a Knife (but it feels so right)

• Members *
  • 11061 posts
  • Interests:Video games, baseball, and thrashing around on a guitar

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:11 PM

View PostLedRush, on 17 November 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

outside of nintendo and rare stuff, there wasn't a whole lot of great shit. no rpgs except quest 64, no exclusives for adults except perfect dark and goldeneye...

I think that most of people who complain that nintendo doesn't have adult games are tweeners and teens....adults actually like the stuff.

Those people are also probably people who only play shooters or horrors. Just because a game is cartoony doesn't mean adults can't enjoy it!

#24 LedRush

LedRush

• Members *
  • 28696 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:19 PM

View PostBowlCity, on 17 November 2014 - 09:11 PM, said:

Those people are also probably people who only play shooters or horrors. Just because a game is cartoony doesn't mean adults can't enjoy it!

It's pretty shocking to me that Zelda OOT and Majora's Mask wouldn't be considered games for adults...that they happen to be two of the best video games of all time is the frosting on the cake.  Mario 64, MarioKart 64, Donkey Kong 64, and SSB are all great games that any non developmentally challenged adult can enjoy.  Plus there were great racing games and the sports games played better on it than the PS1.

#25 The Analog Cub

The Analog Cub

• Members *
  • 11061 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:23 PM

View PostLedRush, on 17 November 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

It's pretty shocking to me that Zelda OOT and Majora's Mask wouldn't be considered games for adults...that they happen to be two of the best video games of all time is the frosting on the cake.  Mario 64, MarioKart 64, Donkey Kong 64, and SSB are all great games that any non developmentally challenged adult can enjoy.  Plus there were great racing games and the sports games played better on it than the PS1.

Hell, other than the Crash Bandicoot stuff or Castlevania: SotN I can't remember any good PSOne games.

#26 LedRush

LedRush

• Members *
  • 28696 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 09:55 PM

View PostBowlCity, on 17 November 2014 - 09:23 PM, said:

Hell, other than the Crash Bandicoot stuff or Castlevania: SotN I can't remember any good PSOne games.

FFVII and Parasite Eve.

#27 The Analog Cub

The Analog Cub

• Members *
  • 11061 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:18 PM

View PostLedRush, on 17 November 2014 - 09:55 PM, said:

FFVII and Parasite Eve.

Never tried Parasite Eve. I tried to get into FFVII but couldn't. I'm not too big on the Final Fantasy series except for FFX which I think is fantastic.

#28 Del_Duio

Del_Duio

The Professor

• Members
  • 4443 posts
  • Interests:Computer Programming, Bass, Drums, some guitar but I suck

--

My roguelike!
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/547980/Equin_The_Lantern/

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:54 AM

I had the N64 for its entire run and though I think it was a good system it doesn't belong on a list of top 5 consoles. Gamecube is more deserving to be on there to be honest.

As for RPGs, oh man you're missing Aydn Chronicles (not good, but way better than Quest 64), Ogre Battle which was really awesome, and you could probably even count Harvest Moon 64 on that short list too. Zelda OOT would come next with your RPG hybrid and of course we all know how well that turned out :)

#29 Del_Duio

Del_Duio

The Professor

• Members
  • 4443 posts

--

My roguelike!

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:00 AM

Vandal Hearts
Suikoden 1 and especially part 2
Front Mission 3
Tactics Ogre
Alundra (really good Zelda clone similar to LttP)
Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen
Parasite Eve
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS???
Final Fantasy 9
If you count ports, you also had the FF4 / Chrono Trigger combo though the load times were terrible
The port of Diablo was great, so was the port of Warcraft 2

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I was the biggest Nintendo fanboy forever until the PS1 came out and just kicked so much ass it was impossible to ignore it.

#30 Del_Duio

Del_Duio

The Professor

• Members
  • 4443 posts

--

My roguelike!

Posted 18 November 2014 - 08:02 AM

I'm almost 40 and Zelda Windwaker is the best-looking Zelda still by far. In fact, I'd say that because of its cartoony look WW won't age terribly like many other games that went 3D long ago. Remember FF7? Take a look at those silly polygon characters today!

#31 LedRush

LedRush

• Members *
  • 28696 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 04:26 PM

View PostDel_Duio, on 18 November 2014 - 08:02 AM, said:

I'm almost 40 and Zelda Windwaker is the best-looking Zelda still by far. In fact, I'd say that because of its cartoony look WW won't age terribly like many other games that went 3D long ago. Remember FF7? Take a look at those silly polygon characters today!

I replayed FF7 about a year ago, and it's graphics did not hold up.  The remake of OOT looks great, and the HD remaster of WindWaker is spectacular, but you're right that the original holds up quite well on its own.

#32 LedRush

LedRush

• Members *
  • 28696 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:13 PM

View PostBowlCity, on 17 November 2014 - 05:36 PM, said:

Now I'm really craving some Zelda Wind Waker. One of the finest in the series.

Have you played it on the Wii-U?  It's gorgeous.

#33 The Analog Cub

The Analog Cub

• Members *
  • 11061 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:24 PM

View PostLedRush, on 18 November 2014 - 05:13 PM, said:

Nah, I haven't. No interest in buying a Wii U.

#34 Lost In Xanadu

Lost In Xanadu

Coach Cheesehead

• Members
  • 21420 posts
  • Interests:Drinking, smoking, drugs, Justin Bieber, lying on the internet.

Posted 18 November 2014 - 05:28 PM

View PostBowlCity, on 18 November 2014 - 05:24 PM, said:

We got it for my daughter mostly, but my son and I play with her quite often. Mario Kart mostly for me, they are very excited about the new Smash Brothers.

#35 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 14569 posts
  • Interests:George Soros

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:57 AM

I'm not saying adults shouldn't play mario. they're great games.

my point was that other than games made by nintendo and games made by the company RARE (jet force gemini, conkur, banjo kazooie, perfect dark, goldeneye), the n64 was pretty lacking. nintendo has had this problem for a long time, as far as I'm concerned. the only games worth playing are usually made BY nintendo, and imo, it's not worth buying a console just for the latest mario/zelda rehash or remake. the 64 couldn't handle a lot of the big games of that time because of the cartridge, so many developers put their games on the ps1.

bowlcity, if you can't think of any other good ps1 games besides crash bandicoot (which is a poor man's mario 64, imo), I suggest you look up a few lists. there's resident evil, silent hill, valkyrie profile, the final fantasy games, metal gear solid, chrono cross, xenogears... lots of other great games worth looking into.

#36 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 14569 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 12:59 AM

of course, 64 and gamecube and possibly even the wii are all worth owning. wii u looks like it doesn't have much going for it other than the whole "family gaming fun for grandma too!" schtick. boy, I'm sooo excited for more mario remakes haha

#37 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 14569 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 01:10 AM

http://retro-sanctua...mes-Page-1.html

look at some of the other lists too, lots of neat stuff.

#38 LedRush

LedRush

• Members *
  • 28696 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:16 AM

View PostBowlCity, on 18 November 2014 - 05:24 PM, said:

Before this week, it was clearly the best of the now-gen consoles in my mind.  It's still the best for me, but it's a bit closer now.

#39 LedRush

LedRush

• Members *
  • 28696 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:19 AM

View Postbathory, on 19 November 2014 - 12:57 AM, said:

I'm not saying adults shouldn't play mario. they're great games.

my point was that other than games made by nintendo and games made by the company RARE (jet force gemini, conkur, banjo kazooie, perfect dark, goldeneye), the n64 was pretty lacking. nintendo has had this problem for a long time, as far as I'm concerned. the only games worth playing are usually made BY nintendo, and imo, it's not worth buying a console just for the latest mario/zelda rehash or remake.

I never understood this complaint about Nintendo.  There is way more innovation in Nintendo's development of existing IP than in most new IPs out there.  How is Mario Galaxy not more of a creative step than virtually any shooter since about 1996, to give just one of many, many examples.

#40 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 14569 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 02:47 AM

I love mario galaxy, but it's still just the same old hop around and save the world stuff every few years. not that they should change it, it's a great formula, but it doesn't make the wii u worth it to me. I think saying that mario galaxy is more innovative than any shooter since 1996 is silly. more innovative than call of duty definitely, but if you think mario galaxy changed gaming more than half-life, system shock 2, bioshock, counterstrike, team fortress 2, halo...

nintendo loves to stress "innovation" but I think when remakes and rereleases of old games are the most exciting thing you've got going on, that aint innovation. just because you made a weird looking machine doesn't make you a genius

so far none of the next gen consoles look good at all. I'll probably get a ps4 when I have to just out of necessity, because I know eventually they were be a new elder scrolls, a new fallout, a new gta. maybe a new left 4 dead or half-life? doubt it haha

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users