• The Spirit of Radio
    • The Big Money
    • Force Ten
    • Dreamline
    • Tom Sawyer
    • The R30 Overture
    • Limelight
    • Subdivisions

I think the best and the quintessential opening song for a Rush concert is undoubtbly The Spirit of Radio. It is literally the "Detroit Rock City" of Rush. A song that ever Rush fan knows and gets every single Rush fan pumped up in a frenzy knowing that the weeks, days, and hours of waiting for the concert is over....it's that classic "AND NOW....THE MOMENT YOU'VE ALL BEEN WAITING FOR...." whenever you hear that guitar intro start to play. It's the perfect song to open a concert with.
  • Like 1

TSOR is a great opener, no doubt, but I've always been in the camp that prefers they just open with Tom Sawyer and get it out of the way like they did on the Vapor Trails tour.

I really wish I was able to go see the VT tour. They lit a fire under everyone's ass.

• Like 1

I like the R30 overture. The only problem with it is that it means they won't play any of those great songs the rest of the night.
  • Like 3

I like the R30 overture. The only problem with it is that it means they won't play any of those great songs the rest of the night.

This^^^^. Beat me to it.....

I would choose Bastille Day,

It starts the show in a strong and fast paced way.

It certainly starts their best recording....
  • Like 1

I wish they could've done it in any of the past few tours. If only they didn't hate COS

They really seem to. If you read the comments on the other thread with the Ged twitter interview its painfully obvious. A shame really. Lakeside Park live is one of my favorites all time. I would probably lose it completely if they ever played it and In The End ever again....

I wish they could've done it in any of the past few tours. If only they didn't hate COS

They really seem to. If you read the comments on the other thread with the Ged twitter interview its painfully obvious. A shame really. Lakeside Park live is one of my favorites all time. I would probably lose it completely if they ever played it and In The End ever again....

I guess it was a bad time for them so they dont like it, even though all the rush fans LOVE it. Bastille day, Lakeside Park, The Necromancer, Fountain of Lamneth. All are really great songs I would love to hear live :)

• Like 1

I guess it was a bad time for them so they dont like it, even though all the rush fans LOVE it. Bastille day, Lakeside Park, The Necromancer, Fountain of Lamneth. All are really great songs I would love to hear live :)

Um.....

Lets just say that I HOPE that they don't showcase this album live next tour.

Um.....

One thing I have found to be true here more times than not. The younger folks here don't like or even care to like at least the first 3 albums and thats alright because we all have opinions. I wouldn't want it "featured" either but I would sure like to hear at least a couple songs from it and FBN and the debut as well.... :)
  • Like 2

Um.....

One thing I have found to be true here more times than not. The younger folks here don't like or even care to like at least the first 3 albums and thats alright because we all have opinions. I wouldn't want it "featured" either but I would sure like to hear at least a couple songs from it and FBN and the debut as well.... :)

I care about all 3. I put Rush, FBN and 2112 in the "pretty damn good" category and COS in the "great" category... although I have replaced BD and LP in my iTunes with the ATWAS versions...

Um.....

I care about all 3. I put Rush, FBN and 2112 in the "pretty damn good" category and COS in the "great" category... although I have replaced BD and LP in my iTunes with the ATWAS versions...

Thats why I didn't use my "broad brush" in my post. There are some young folks who love and appreciate them. Good move BTW with your iTunes (heard of it but never seen it) whatever that is... :)

Um.....

It also could be that I like 80s Rush better than 70s Rush.

Um.....

That too. Many people feel that way but it seems to "typically" matter more often than not the persons age when they became a fan is all I'm saying. It's all good either way.... :)

Um.....

That too. Many people feel that way but it seems to "typically" matter more often than not the persons age when they became a fan is all I'm saying. It's all good either way.... :)

I guess I was more impressed with the fact that they took their prog style and that 1980s Tears For Fears style synthpop and combined it to create something totally unique.

To be honest, I can't think of a single opening song that they've had that I didn't think it was perfect at the time. I don't think there's a best one, because any song they start out with means the rest of the concert will come right afterwards and I'm completely psyched at that point. :LOL: Also the first song usually means a bunch of screaming and yelling and people don't settle down until the second song in.

Um.....

I guess I was more impressed with the fact that they took their prog style and that 1980s Tears For Fears style synthpop and combined it to create something totally unique.

The 80's music for the most part is excellent for sure. As a fan since 76' I was oblivious at the time to be honest. I just said to myself "another great album" irregardless of the style because the substance was still there......

Um.....

Fly By Night is good. The debut is…listenable. Caress of Steel…not so much.

I love Caress of Steel (if I wasn't already married...). I do think that parts of it are a bit strident, some parts are a bit loose, maybe, and I wonder how old some of those guitar strings were. I wonder if it would be possible to breathe some new life into some of those tracks - a remix, rather than just a remaster. Someone on the forum, as I recall, thinks the mix of Caress of Steel is already perfect, but to me it does sound like maybe a few tired performances got in there. But I do think it's magnificent.
  • Like 1