Chemistry

toymaker

Somewhere along the line, my least favorite songs on this album became my favorites. Those songs are Countdown and Chemistry. Both sound pretty unique to me and have some real interesting ideas. Chemistry just seems to have it all: awesome verse, cool drum rhythm during prechorus, epic chorus, and Alex's cyclical guitar part.

It's just so nerdy and uniquely 80's Rush.

That guitar part always sounds like it would be difficult to play to me. Maybe I'm wrong.

I think you're right, if you're talking about the high-pitched looping thing he does.

It kind of sounds like the same hammer-on pull-off type thing that Alex does in The Spirit of Radio intro. I'm sure an experienced guitarist could do that part quite easily. But it sounds awesome.

I wish I was an experienced guitarist.

Somewhere along the line, my least favorite songs on this album became my favorites. Those songs are Countdown and Chemistry. Both sound pretty unique to me and have some real interesting ideas. Chemistry just seems to have it all: awesome verse, cool drum rhythm during prechorus, epic chorus, and Alex's cyclical guitar part.

That guitar part always sounds like it would be difficult to play to me. Maybe I'm wrong.

I think you're right, if you're talking about the high-pitched looping thing he does.

It kind of sounds like the same hammer-on pull-off type thing that Alex does in The Spirit of Radio intro. I'm sure an experienced guitarist could do that part quite easily. But it sounds awesome.

:eh: No amateurs sound like you.

Edited by Lorraine

How long have you been playing, JARG?

About 35 years. I know, I know -- I should be much better than I am.

:eh: No amateurs sound like you.

I sound like me, and I'm an amateur!

I can relate to that. About 30 years for me, and I guess I reached a plateau about 10 or 15 years ago.

I can relate to that. About 30 years for me, and I guess I reached a plateau about 10 or 15 years ago.

Yeah, I used to be much better than I am these days. Back in my band days we'd rehearse 2 or 3 times a week, which meant 5 to 7 hours of playing time per week just from rehearsals, but I'd also practice a couple of hours in between rehearsals, so in any given week, I probably spent a good 15 hours with the guitar. These days I pick it up maybe once a week and spend about 30 minutes with it.

• Like 3

Yeah, I used to be much better than I am these days. Back in my band days we'd rehearse 2 or 3 times a week, which meant 5 to 7 hours of playing time per week just from rehearsals, but I'd also practice a couple of hours in between rehearsals, so in any given week, I probably spent a good 15 hours with the guitar. These days I pick it up maybe once a week and spend about 30 minutes with it.

Here's something that's also sad: my wife got me a ukelele last year and I think I play it more than my guitars now.

But I can play limelight on it . . .

• Like 2

Here's something that's also sad: my wife got me a ukelele last year and I think I play it more than my guitars now.

:cheers: ...
  • Like 1

Video or it never happened. :D

• Like 2

My mother could play the uke. My father was the accordion player. Me, nothing.

I am trying hard to hear in my mind Limelight on a ukelele.

Correction: It wasn't the ukelele she could play. It was the banjo. :laughing guy:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

My mother could play the uke. My father was the accordion player. Me, nothing.

I am trying hard to hear in my mind Limelight on a ukelele.

Correction: It wasn't the ukelele she could play. It was the banjo. :laughing guy:

Needed a couple spoons and then you could join in.

I'm too technologically declined to make a video of myself playing Limelight on the ukelele and posting it. I don't really know how to put videos and sound files on these internetty things anyway. I could write out the notes and finger positions, though.

This really belongs on the Rush ukelele covers thread. Should I start one?

Edited by toymaker

I'm too technologically declined to make a video of myself playing Limelight on the ukelele and posting it. I don't really know how to put videos and sound files on these internetty things anyway. I could write out the notes and finger positions, though.

This really belongs on the Rush ukelele covers thread. Should I start one?

I doubt it would have many posts, though the triangle one has a few. :LOL:

Edited by EagleMoon

Thats the same situation i find myself in. Family life children building homes, commintments etc etc.Need to practice(as i did in bands long ago) to stay competent, and have any chance of getting better. My guitars are getting very dusty these days.