Chemistry

toymaker

The lyrics are kind of superficial IMO (they kind of search for a deeper meaning but come up short) and the music is just OK apart from a few parts in the beginning. Also, it rips off Twilight Zone. Edited by len(songs)

The lyrics are kind of superficial IMO (they kind of search for a deeper meaning but come up short) and the music is just OK apart from a few parts in the beginning. Also, it rips off Twilight Zone.

I never made a connection to Twilight Zone - it is a similar chord sequence? What bit(s) do you have in mind there?

The lyrics are kind of superficial IMO (they kind of search for a deeper meaning but come up short) and the music is just OK apart from a few parts in the beginning. Also, it rips off Twilight Zone.

I never made a connection to Twilight Zone - it is a similar chord sequence? What bit(s) do you have in mind there?

The main melody at the end of the chorus ("seems to me, it's chemistry") and the intro to Twilight Zone are very very similar, though rhythmically different.

Edited by len(songs)

Cool song no doubt but I don't name check it in my top 20. It would definitely make the next 20 which with them there is no shame in that. Much like I have a special affinity for Lessons, I am guessing you feel similarly about this one. I would bet it would have been a big hit live with the strings..... Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

I love the music - big chords in the intro with a signature Lifeson riff, lots of action on the drums throughout the song, the wheedlie-deedlies that come in about 45 seconds in, the groove in the verse (very fun to play on bass), the drum patterns in the "eye to I" bit, which are infectious - can't help playing the edge of my desk when that comes on, the classic Lee bass that's just slightly chorus-y, and the very creative solo.

The lyrics are a bit of word play - I think I remember reading that everybody pitched in on those. I think it's every bit as thoughtful a comment on the mysterious factors that make human relationships work as anything else in the Rush canon. Maybe they're superficial, I don't know - I do know they make me want to dig in and figure them out, and they "sing" well - Lee's singing is great on this.

• Like 2

I think Chemistry is fantastic, but I know some people really don't care for it. Why, why, why?

Well thank you. you seem pretty cool too!!

I am guessing you must love the song. Not sure why I would think that but.... :LOL: Edited by Narpski

I think Chemistry is fantastic, but I know some people really don't care for it. Why, why, why?

Well thank you. you seem pretty cool too!!

But I never had a song named after me.

• Like 1

Post #7 above is my brief analysis. I'd really like to see other people's thoughts . . . elaborated a bit (sorry, it's the English professor in me).

It's kinda weird for me......i love it while it's on.......then i forget about it after. No sticking power. Which is why i never name drop it in song lists. I honestly truly forget it exists, lol

Mick

That's sorta how it is for me... also...

Happy 2111th post! :cheerleader: one more...

• Like 2

It's kinda weird for me......i love it while it's on.......then i forget about it after. No sticking power. Which is why i never name drop it in song lists. I honestly truly forget it exists, lol

Mick

I think it was like that for a long time for me. I'd think of Signals as the album that had Subdivisions, Analog Kid, Digital Man, The Weapon, New World Man . . . but I listened to it one day on the way somewhere, with headphones, and I had this sort of epiphany. It's now one of the songs I love to play when I'm a bit tired of the Tom "Spirit of Limelight" Sawyer typical Rush tracks. Along with Entre Nous and a few other classic Rush tracks.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

Mick

Well let's just take care of that............................................

WE ARE THE PRIESTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :haz: :rush:

Mick

• Like 6

Mick

As sad this sounds (sorry toymaker :( ), I had to youtube it to reacquaint myself with it. Its a very good song but it didn't stick in my memory either.... :huh:
  • Like 1

Mick

Well let's just take care of that............................................

WE ARE THE PRIESTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :haz: :rush:

Mick

Congrats my friend!!!! :cheers: :dweez: :chickendance:
  • Like 2

Mick

As sad this sounds (sorry toymaker :( ), I had to youtube it to reacquaint myself with it. Its a very good song but it didn't stick in my memory either.... :huh:

Nah, that's cool, too. If it's not sticking with you, then it's missing some key ingredient for you, that's all. Better that, maybe than some truly irritating song that gets in your melon and won't get out...

Bluefox gets some kind of award or something for post 17, right? Whom do we call?

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

Mick

Nah, that's cool, too. If it's not sticking with you, then it's missing some key ingredient for you, that's all. Better that, maybe than some truly irritating song that gets in your melon and won't get out...

Like Superconductor or something..... :)

Mick

Bluefox gets some kind of award or something for post 17, right? Whom do we call?

A free bowl of soup and a hard time I believe.....

Mick

Like Superconductor or something..... :)

Or "Why are we here? Because we're here, roll the bones" - talk about a song that gives me loose stools.

• Like 1

Cool song no doubt but I don't name check it in my top 20. It would definitely make the next 20 which with them there is no shame in that. Much like I have a special affinity for Lessons, I am guessing you feel similarly about this one. I would bet it would have been a big hit live with the strings.....

By the way, I really love that tune Lessons, too. It's a deep cut, but it's a really well-put-together tune, and really shows how inventive and solid Lifeson is as a rhythm player, too - there are just a few chords there, but the way he plays it almost makes it sound like more. Then there's Lee's chops in the chorus - well, throughout, really, but highlights in the chorus. I like the doubling effect of the guitar and voice in "you didn't listen again." Very cool track.

• Like 4