Untouchable songs for personal reasons?

AstrosJake

do you think there any songs that they would not play for personal reasons? I'm mostly talking about Neil. I know he wouldn't listen to the new Vapor Trails remix because it brought him back to a bad time in his life. So I doubt they would play anything off Vapor Trails on their next tour.

Also, and more importantly to me, do you think there are songs from albums in the 80s or 90s that Neil wrote about his personal life and family that he wouldn't want to revisit? I've read somewhere that Prime Mover has something to do with his daughter's birth. I'm not sure if there's any truth to that, but if so, I don't know if he would want to play it.

It's an interesting subject that I'm sure the band takes into account when putting together a setlist. What other songs might be "untouchable"?

I can't really figure out what Prime Mover is about. If it has nothing to do with Neil's personal life, I'd love for it to be on the next set list.

Chain Lighting is one that comes to mind. I imagine anything from Vapor Trails is tough for him as well as Test for Echo. As far as Prime Mover goes, to me the lyrics describe a particular mindset towards life. Basically a mindset geared towards never being satisfied with where you're at. It also explores the possibility of a "Prime Mover" or some sort of divine being creating the universe. This bit serves as a perfect metaphor for how we all have the choice to be the "Prime Movers" in our own lives, and start the process of becoming the people we ultimately want to be. His daughter was born some time before the song's writing so I think it's definitely a possibility

I don't know...

I mean, on the surface, Ghost Rider appears to be the most personal song on Vapor Trails, and they performed it on that very tour (the first one after the tragedies).

I would think that by this point...there are no songs that they couldn't realistically play (in regards to personal emotions).

• Like 1

Afterimage, although an excellent piece, would probably never be played because it is so poignant. I cried the first time I heard it again after my mom passed.

Most of vapor trails, including the title track. I'm honestly surprised Neil was ok with playing Ghost Rider right off the back like that on the VT tour...

I don't know...

I mean, on the surface, Ghost Rider appears to be the most personal song on Vapor Trails, and they performed it on that very tour (the first one after the tragedies).

I would think that by this point...there are no songs that they couldn't realistically play (in regards to personal emotions).

I'll believe that the first time they play Afterimage.

Given that One Little Victory, Earthshine and Secret Touch were all played after the VT tour (albiet, not recently), I think at least some of VT could still have a chance. Mainly, the more abstract or fun songs, like those mentioned. The more personal or tragic songs, like Ghost Rider, Peaceable Kingdom or Vapor Trails: probably not.

Soooo.... go Freeze!?!?

I vaguely remember Geddy mentioned in an interview that VT was basically off limits because of the emotional connections for Neil. Yes, One Little Victory was played after the VT tour, but I don't remember it being played after the Snakes and Arrows tour.

In a similar vein (and previously mentioned), I don't see them playing Afterimage. Although originally written for a friend of the band, Neil, understandably, dedicated it to his daughter and wife in the Different Stages liner notes.

Although not for emotional personal reasons, I don't see them doing much, if any, pre 2112 work (save for Working Man and/or an instrumental medley similar to the R30 Overture) for physical personal reasons: Geddy's voice.

Even anything on AFTK is questionable at this point, given Geddy's age and voice. They really don't like playing CTTH and I can't see him even trying to touch the title track. Xanadu is doable, but might not get a reboot if they opt for some other deep tracks (perhaps Cinderella Man?). If Cygnus gets a nod, I imagine it will be primarily instrumental.