Rush still undecided about 2015

Rushman14

This past March, Rush guitarist Alex Lifeson said that Rush were planning to launch a "41st anniversary" tour next year. "I think we're probably going to lean towards making it a real sort of fan event," he said. "I've always wanted to do some rarer Rush material, and this should be a good opportunity to do that. I also think it's going to be a long tour. We just need to stay healthy until then."

In a new interview with Rolling Stone, Geddy Lee says that announcement may have been a bit premature. "We're still talking," he says. "Everybody has a different idea how they want to spend the next couple of years, so we haven't come to a decision. I'm ready and happy to play if everyone else agrees. I think in the next couple of months we'll decide to do something or not."

The group's last release was 2012's Clockworks Angels, and they'll likely hit the road again before making another one. "My guess is that there would be a tour first," says Lee. "But I'm itching to just play and record. I would like to make another album, but I don't know where the other guys' heads are at about that. I know Alex is ready to write."

Despite what it may seem, Lee says he's not implying that drummer Neil Peart is the holdout. "It's a group thing," he says. "It's one of those things where everybody enjoyed their break so much. It doesn't feel like it was very long ago that we played our last show in Kansas City. So it's like, 'Do we have to talk about this already?' But slowly we're getting around to figuring it out."

To tide fans over, Rush are releasing R40 this week, a 10-DVD box set (also available on six Blu-ray discs) containing complete performances from Rush's past five concert tours. There are also bonus clips of the group playing in 1974, 1976, 1997 and their 2013 performance at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

"The office and our manager is always pushing us to release some archival stuff," says Lee. "Seeing as we were off, we said, 'Have at it.' It was interesting seeing all the old footage. We recorded a show on the Test For Echo tour we'd forgotten about because it came just before a particularly dark period in our history. It was painful to think about, but when we listened back we realized we were in good form that night. It would have been a shame to not unearth at least part of it."

R40 is a celebration of Rush's 40th anniversary with Peart, but Lee doesn't expect them to still be touring when the 50th anniversary rolls around in 2024. "If I were a betting man, I wouldn't bet on it," says Lee. "When I see how hard it is to get everyone to agree to go out for our 40th, it's hard to imagine us having the same conversation in 10 years."

Part of the problem is the sheer physical toll that drumming throughout a three-hour shows takes on Peart, who turned 62 two months ago. "The way he plays is brutal and painful," says Lee. "Basically, he's in pain from the beginning of rehearsal until the end of the tour. And that's really not an exaggeration. So there's only so many miles a drummer like that has in him, and so it's hard to think ahead to the 50th."

Unlike many of their peers, Rush would never even consider a project that didn't involve every member. "I couldn't abide that," Lee says. "We're like the Three Musketeers, all for one and one for all. If one guy has had enough, then that's it. It's over."

Even if Rush deactivates at some point in the next decade, Lee can't imagine moving away from music. "I love to play and I love to write," he says. "I would be totally up for continuing to work. It's in my blood. If the guys that I love to play with aren't available and I was dying to play, I would do something on my own."

In the meantime, Lee is still focused on Rush - and he can barely believe the run they've had since returning to the road in 2002. "It's been a busy and incredibly fruitful time for us," says Lee. "I cherish it and appreciate it, and I know the other guys do as well. We scratch our heads every once in a while any go, 'Why are we still here? Why is there still interest in us?' I think we're just grateful that we can still do what we love to do."

Not really shocking news for those of us who bother to read Neil's blogs. He doesn't want to tour anymore.

When he once said "thats what a band does", I am guessing he didn't mean an old band..... :codger: :sigh:

Not really shocking news for those of us who bother to read Neil's blogs. He doesn't want to tour anymore.

then get in the studio and make a new album. I would prefer that anyway.

• Like 2

Never trust Alex. If we've learned ANYTHING... it is never trust Alex.

No kidding. I take pretty much anything he says with a grain of salt. It's kind of a yeah right anytime he makes an announcement.

I think Geddy's just being coy and holding back a little. Neil seems to be in a good frame of mind during his latest interviews so I don't think he would bail. Neil whines about touring but he admits that it's almost his 'duty' as a professional musician to perform. I think I read a post that Lorne is cooking up a new drum kit. Don't think he would do that just for one of Neil's smaller projects.

If they really want to dive into the songs they never have played, it would almost be like performing a new album.

Edited by 2112FirstStreet

I just read off of Neil's blog that Dave Grohl will be his replacement for the Spring 2015 Tour!

You know I've never understood why Rush, or any band, has to end. I don't see why new members can't come aboard and "the band" always live. I mean, pick your favorite sports teams: they don't have any of the player and coaches that they had when they were first formed. I don't see why this can't apply to bands, too.

Yeah, I know I'm gonna get banned for this heretical thinking.

I just read off of Neil's blog that Dave Grohl will be his replacement for the Spring 2015 Tour!

You know I've never understood why Rush, or any band, has to end. I don't see why new members can't come aboard and "the band" always live. I mean, pick your favorite sports teams: they don't have any of the player and coaches that they had when they were first formed. I don't see why this can't apply to bands, too.

Are you for real?

Rush whitout Geddy is no Rush! Rush whitout Alex is no Rush! Rush whitout Neil is no Rush (maybe if Rutsey would return from the dead and join Rush again, then that would count)! It is those three (four) that are Rush, no other!

• Like 2

Are you for real?

Rush whitout Geddy is no Rush! Rush whitout Alex is no Rush! Rush whitout Neil is no Rush (maybe if Rutsey would return from the dead and join Rush again, then that would count)! It is those three (four) that are Rush, no other!

I don't see why this has to be the case. While we don't live forever, our memory can. You just invoked the name of Rutsey, a man that few people would know of if not for the fact that Rush, the band, is still an entity. Will that entity be somewhat different? Sure. But, the current members of Rush are always trying new things, so the changes would be less noticeable than with other bands.

For example, half this forum hates Neil Peart, because of his lyrics. By definition, if a new drummer took his place, a portion of those people would be happy, for sure.

Are you for real?

I don't see why this has to be the case. While we don't live forever, our memory can. You just invoked the name of Rutsey, a man that few people would know of if not for the fact that Rush, the band, is still an entity. Will that entity be somewhat different? Sure. But, the current members of Rush are always trying new things, so the changes would be less noticeable than with other bands.

For example, half this forum hates Neil Peart, because of his lyrics. By definition, if a new drummer took his place, a portion of those people would be happy, for sure.

It would never work, because unlike sports teams (which are a different dynamic anyway), they've been the same lineup for 40 years. And it's more than the just the name. Each member stands on their own and has a distinct appeal. They really are bigger (and more impressive) than the sum of their individual parts.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I do think they'll tour in 2015. Maybe not in the summer, but I bet they'll hit the road. They're too motivated, too healthy... And we know that Alex and Geddy have been playing. And Neil's tech Lorne mentioned a new kit. The time, cost and effort for that alone says something.

Are you for real?

It would never work, because unlike sports teams (which are a different dynamic anyway), they've been the same lineup for 40 years. And it's more than the just the name. Each member stands on their own and has a distinct appeal. They really are bigger (and more impressive) than the sum of their individual parts.

In a world of close to 7 billion people, there is no denying that they are the best at what they do, and there is probably no equal or better people to be found.

I'm pleading the case for something somewhat close as opposed to nothing.

• Like 1

I'm sure it's a combination of the physical toll of playing, traveling etc. in addition to his relatively young family that makes Neil hesitant to tour. With the kind of stage show that Rush puts on, I would think that short tours are pretty much out of the question if they intend to make a profit. It all comes down to making a longer tour worthwhile monetarily for the three of them. In Neil's case, the monetary gain to get him out there again would probably need to be significantly higher than the other two. Obviously there will come a time when nothing will entice him any longer. It's probably a good sign that Neil has yet to announce that this time has already come to pass.
  • Like 1

Does anyone here know what the cost of touring entails? Not guessing, but really knows the inside scoop?

And how do they get paid? I read that every band has a price tag which is why some promoters won't book them in an area - the band charges too much and there isn't enough interest in the band in the area to recoup the loss. Also, I read there is a guaranteed money amount that they will get at each venue regardless of whether the tickets sell or not.

Does anyone here know what the cost of touring entails? Not guessing, but really knows the inside scoop?

And how do they get paid? I read that every band has a price tag which is why some promoters won't book them in an area - the band charges too much and there isn't enough interest in the band in the area to recoup the loss. Also, I read there is a guaranteed money amount that they will get at each venue regardless of whether the tickets sell or not.

I'm not sure what you mean by how do they get paid? Since they've been around so long and toured so extensively they've hit most of the areas in the US. A lot goes into booking an arena in an area. It has to be available at a particular time. They also have to estimate what they think the ticket sales will be compared to the size of the venue.

I hear ya! I know Rush won't go on without the other but hey if Neil really wants to retire and Geddy and Alex want to keep it going then why not hire Simon Phillips?

Dave Weckl perhaps! LOL! That's a TRF inside joke.

Are you for real?

In a world of close to 7 billion people, there is no denying that they are the best at what they do, and there is probably no equal or better people to be found.

I'm pleading the case for something somewhat close as opposed to nothing.

But then you might end up with a situation like Yes, where the band is slowly becoming a (poor) tribute band to themselves. I have no urge to see them now, regardless of the songs or Chris Squire or Steve Howe, when the vocalists are a series of cover band guys, and the rest of the band is made up of former members' kids. It's kinda sad, and money-grubbing. I'd hate to see "RUSH with Alex Lifeson and two guys you've never heard of." There is something to be said for creative partnerships that have an end.

• Like 4