ESL and ASOH have overdubs?

zappafrank

Amazon product description of Different Stages reads "As great as Exit Stage Left and Show of Hands were, both live albums featured overdubs and edits."

...zuh? I've never heard this mentioned anywhere or even hinted at. Am I that out of the loop or is that just bunk?

Out of the loop. The albums sound like sterile studio performances for a few reasons. One is overdubs.

Edited by LedRush
  • Like 2

Amazon product description of Different Stages reads "As great as Exit Stage Left and Show of Hands were, both live albums featured overdubs and edits."

...zuh? I've never heard this mentioned anywhere or even hinted at. Am I that out of the loop or is that just bunk?

Out of the loop. The albums sound like sterile studio performances for a few reasons. One is overdubs.

Any forum threads about it?

ETA: I can search, just was wondering if there was a definitive thread anyone can think of off the top of their head.

Edited by zappafrank

a show of hands definalty does, on spirit of radio, geds vocals are very different than on vhs laserdisc versions durning the part were he goes --- for the spirit ever lingers and demanding contact in your half of solitude.. it sounds better on vhs and laserdisc. should not have messed with it..

Play "Closer to the Heart" from Exit...Stage Left, and listen very carefully at the 2:37 mark - tell me if you don't hear the ghostly auditorium echo of what was probably Geddy's actual performance as he sings another repetition of the line "closer to your heart."

Try it with headphones - that's how I first heard it.

Edited by toymaker

a show of hands definalty does, on spirit of radio, geds vocals are very different than on vhs laserdisc versions durning the part were he goes --- for the spirit ever lingers and demanding contact in your half of solitude.. it sounds better on vhs and laserdisc. should not have messed with it..

You should listen again ;)

• Like 2

The intro to Xanadu is very different from the VHS to the record... Yet, it is the same song from the same show (VHS is MUCH cooler! Actually, the concert video is the ULTIMATE Xanadu for me.). Also in The Trees, you can hear Ged "La-la-la-ing along" the instrumental part on the VHS/DVD, but not on the cd/record... Again same performance.
  • Like 1

Play "Closer to the Heart" from Exit...Stage Left, and listen very carefully at the 2:37 mark - tell me if you don't hear the ghostly auditorium echo of what was probably Geddy's actual performance as he sings another repetition of the line "closer to your heart."

They had a Choir singing on this live with them. This was on the Permanent Waves Tour (side 2 was from 1980). Check the album liner notes. It tells you about the choir helping them with Closer To The Heart. They were called the Glasgow Choir and the song was culled from the Waves tour in the UK.

Edited by Todem

They had a Choir singing on this live with them. This was on the Permanent Waves Tour (side 2 was from 1980). Check the album liner notes. It tells you about the choir helping them with Closer To The Heart. They were called the Glasgow Choir and the song was culled from the Waves tour in the UK.

I think the "choir" was just the crowd

The intro to Xanadu is very different from the VHS to the record... Yet, it is the same song from the same show (VHS is MUCH cooler! Actually, the concert video is the ULTIMATE Xanadu for me.). Also in The Trees, you can hear Ged "La-la-la-ing along" the instrumental part on the VHS/DVD, but not on the cd/record... Again same performance.

I love when Geddy does that along with a song. I have a bootleg that he does that in Subdivisions. Others too.

Are you saying that the Exit...Stage Left dvd edition of Xanadu isn't as good as the one from the VHS?

Edited by Lorraine

Indeed it was.

I'm not talking about the part near the start of the song when you can hear the audience singing along. I'm talking about near the end of the song, when you have to listen "past" Lee's singing for the echo of what was probably the original line (it sounds like originally he went "yeeeaaaaaah!!"). I really don't think it's the crowd, or any instrument.

I'm not talking about the part near the start of the song when you can hear the audience singing along. I'm talking about near the end of the song, when you have to listen "past" Lee's singing for the echo of what was probably the original line (it sounds like originally he went "yeeeaaaaaah!!"). I really don't think it's the crowd, or any instrument.

Are you talking about the dvd?

CD

On my 90s remastered CD copy of Exit...Stage Left, it's at exactly 2:37. You hear it best with headphones, and you may not hear it if the volume is too high (my ears get overwhelmed and I can't hear it any more).

I suppose it wouldn't be the first time that I've heard phantom voices that no one else hears, but I'm convinced it's another Lee vocal, either at a really low volume or the echo of his original take picked up by other microphones.

CD

I'm listening to it right now. What a voice! :wub:

I hear something in the background but I can't tell what it is.

I listened again. It sounds like Geddy faintly starting another "yeah yeah closer to the heart...". Is that what you hear?

To me it sounds like something like "Eeeyeeeeaaaaaaaahhhh!"--for a couple of seconds.

Edited by toymaker

I listened again. It sounds like Geddy faintly starting another "yeah yeah closer to the heart...". Is that what you hear?

To me it sounds like something like "Eeeyeeeeaaaaaaaahhhh!"--for a couple of seconds.

I thought it was an intro to another round of CTTHs. What you hear is what I heard.

By the way, this is the first time I've listened to the ESL cd. It has an excellent sound and is much better than the dvd.

I've always liked it, as well. Some people criticize it for being over-produced and "fixed," and it doesn't really have the "raw" live sound of the first live album, or as much crowd energy (i.e. noise) as Different Stages. But I think it's great. I love the little extras, like at the start of Jacob's Ladder and Lee's singing in La Villa (not to mention that blistering electric lead opening).

• Like 1

By the way, this is the first time I've listened to the ESL cd. It has an excellent sound and is much better than the dvd.

I've always liked it, as well. Some people criticize it for being over-produced and "fixed," and it doesn't really have the "raw" live sound of the first live album, or as much crowd energy (i.e. noise) as Different Stages. But I think it's great. I love the little extras, like at the start of Jacob's Ladder and Lee's singing in La Villa (not to mention that blistering electric lead opening).

Listen, Toymaker, you know that I try to be an expert when it comes to Xanadu, and I'm telling you that the Xanadu on the cd and the one on the dvd are not the same. What gives here?

Listen, Toymaker, you know that I try to be an expert when it comes to Xanadu, and I'm telling you that the Xanadu on the cd and the one on the dvd are not the same. What gives here?

I'm at work until 9:30 tonight, but I promise that I'll give both a close listen later. What I do know is that the DVD is from a show in Montreal, but the CD is taken from shows from different tours and in different places, including places in Europe. So the two represent the same tour, but not the same show. Someone else want to weigh in? Am I full of it (again)? Or is this pretty much right?

• Like 1