Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (1975)

physics23

What's your favorite song off of Wish You Were Here?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite song off of Wish You Were Here?

• 1. "Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Pts. 1-5" (Gilmour/Waters/Wright) - 13:34
    • 2. "Welcome to the Machine" (Waters) - 7:31
    • 3. "Have a Cigar" (Waters) - 5:08
    • 4. "Wish You Were Here" (Gilmour/Waters) - 5:34
    • 5. "Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Pts. 6-9" (Gilmour/Waters/Wright) - 12:31

QUOTE (bytorcygnus @ Aug 2 2005, 11:43 PM)
QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Aug 2 2005, 05:39 AM)
QUOTE (Arndrake @ Aug 2 2005, 10:35 AM)
The entire album is great with no bad songs, just like Dark Side IMHO.

I know some people will think I'm deranged, but I think WYWH is far superior to Dark Side

Not deranged at all, sir! Everyone has their own opinions. Here's one you probably don't ever hear. I consider myself a lifelong, long-time Pink Floyd fan and what I consider my favorite work of theirs is probably unusual to many. I've heard it all...but to me Wish You Were Here, Animals, and Dark Side are my 3 faves out of the whole catelogue. To me Animals is simply PF at their best...the mixture of sounds, lyrics, timing, etc. only as Pink Floyd can do it! Wish You Were Here is a very close second. I would put The Wall as my 4th favorite....but my number 5 would probably be Divison Bell..strangely enough. I don't ever seem to hear much praise for this album, and I know some die hards don't even consider it PF since someone's missing, but I love it! Go figure....Wearing the Inside Out and Coming Back to Life are two of my fave PF tunes. Anybody else feel this way? Tell me I'm not crazy...

I love The Division Bell, too. I think "Coming Back To Life" is an amazing song.

QUOTE (My_Shrimp_Cot @ Aug 3 2005, 09:09 AM)
part 1-5 for Gilmour and that guitar. trink39.gif

Oh, how I love Gilmour and that guitar... heart.gif No other guitarist affects me the way he does...sorry Alex. tongue.gif

ohmy.gif No more takers for 'Have a Cigar' ? This is such a cool song people. Listen to the bass in the intro! 1022.gif

QUOTE (SheriffJohnBrown @ Aug 3 2005, 12:17 AM)
QUOTE (bytorcygnus @ Aug 2 2005, 08:43 PM)

I know some people will think I'm deranged, but I think WYWH is far superior to Dark Side

Not deranged at all, sir! Everyone has their own opinions. Here's one you probably don't ever hear. I consider myself a lifelong, long-time Pink Floyd fan and what I consider my favorite work of theirs is probably unusual to many. I've heard it all...but to me Wish You Were Here, Animals, and Dark Side are my 3 faves out of the whole catelogue. To me Animals is simply PF at their best...the mixture of sounds, lyrics, timing, etc. only as Pink Floyd can do it! Wish You Were Here is a very close second. I would put The Wall as my 4th favorite....but my number 5 would probably be Divison Bell..strangely enough. I don't ever seem to hear much praise for this album, and I know some die hards don't even consider it PF since someone's missing, but I love it! Go figure....Wearing the Inside Out and Coming Back to Life are two of my fave PF tunes. Anybody else feel this way? Tell me I'm not crazy...

You must be hanging out with the wrong crowd. I know plenty of people who love Div Bell.

Your favorite isn't strange either. I also know plenty of people with the same favorite.

Well, at least you confirmed for me I am not crazy! Thanks for that........Hmmm, need to check that social calendar...Lol!

QUOTE (rickyrob @ Aug 3 2005, 09:12 AM)
ohmy.gif No more takers for 'Have a Cigar' ? This is such a cool song people. Listen to the bass in the intro! 1022.gif

It's a great song, but probably played the most on the radio from this record here in the states. So some of the shine has worn off for me.

I went with Shine On Pt 1, I just love that part when those 4 guitar notes ring through over the synth (just before the build up where the drums and bass come in). WYWH is probably my least fave, but only because I hear it so often on the radio.

But I find it hard to listen to just one song. Whenever I play any PF album, I have to listen to the whole thing.

DSOTM, WYWH, Animals and The Wall are to me all 1 long piece and listening to just 1 song really doesn't do them justice by themselves.

Animals is by far my fave PF album. Definitely one of my all time top 5 "desert island" albums.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 3 2005, 08:46 AM)
QUOTE (bytorcygnus @ Aug 2 2005, 11:43 PM)

I love The Division Bell, too. I think "Coming Back To Life" is an amazing song.

The Division Bell is one of the greatest albums of all time, IMHO. smile.gif

Went with Shine On 6-9, though 1-5 could just as easily be my choice. The title track is a classic, but I've heard it so much. Cigar and Machine have never really grabbed me, especially the latter.

Tough to separate the two halves of Shine On. 6-9 has a bit more variety, but 1-5 is such a classic build up. After listening a few times in the last month, I've ceded that Have A Cigar is among the catchiest things they've ever recorded, and I don't mind it being stuck in my head one bit. If anything I wish it were longer. Welcome has grown on me as well, whereas the title track has always been a perfect classic...

this isn't close to my fav PF album and this is really tough. I'll give Cigar some love since I bet it hasn't gotten much.

EDIT: looks like I was right!

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1