Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (1975)

physics23

What's your favorite song off of Wish You Were Here?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite song off of Wish You Were Here?

• 1. "Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Pts. 1-5" (Gilmour/Waters/Wright) - 13:34
    • 2. "Welcome to the Machine" (Waters) - 7:31
    • 3. "Have a Cigar" (Waters) - 5:08
    • 4. "Wish You Were Here" (Gilmour/Waters) - 5:34
    • 5. "Shine On You Crazy Diamond, Pts. 6-9" (Gilmour/Waters/Wright) - 12:31

welcoooome

tooo the machiiiiiine

vrrrrrrrrrr buzzzzzzzzz swishhhhhhhhhhh

hummmmmmmm swishhhhhhhhhhh

Very hard to pick, it was a toss up for Welcome to the Machine or Wish You Were Here. They both have these little moments in them where the vocals and energy take a really drastic and emotional turn. It happens in Welcome To The Machine on the line "what did you dream, its alright we told you what to dream", maybe its just me but that line always gets me. But ultimatly I went with WYWH, the final verse, starting with "how I wish...." is beyond words.

All together though, these two songs are drastically overplayed, and if I werent so private in my Pink Floyd listening, I dont think I would get nearly the same feelings out of them.

I cannot pick a favorite...my LEAST fave would be "Have a Cigar."

Shine On is certainly at the top...ALL the parts.

One of the best albums EVER.

QUOTE (SheriffJohnBrown @ Aug 2 2005, 05:49 AM)
To me the whole album actually flows as one song.

Same here, there is now way I can pick a favourite here. I can't even pick a least favourite and this is the only album I can say that I like every track on it equally (I've heard a few where I every track equally.

Maybe that's why its my favourite Floyd album.

Very tough to choose I went with Welcome to the Machine I remember my downstairs neighbor playing this while I was outside playing with my Tonka trucks were digging for Diamonds I had no idea at the time what it was about I just thought it made a great soundtrack to my playing.

I am going to have to track him down and thank him. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Aug 2 2005, 12:04 AM)
I cannot pick a favorite...my LEAST fave would be "Have a Cigar."

Shine On is certainly at the top...ALL the parts.

One of the best albums EVER.

Aww, I like Have A Cigar. I think it may be the first Floyd song I remember hearing, back when I was about four or five and it came on my uncle's radio.

It's a toss up between that one and WYWH. But everyone is right. The entire album is great with no bad songs, just like Dark Side IMHO.

QUOTE (Arndrake @ Aug 2 2005, 10:35 AM)
The entire album is great with no bad songs, just like Dark Side IMHO.

I know some people will think I'm deranged, but I think WYWH is far superior to Dark Side

Have a cigar (yes Barney & Sig!) laugh.gif

Most definitely. Written and sung in the same vein as Money, its pretty darn good.

Went with "Shine On....", but what I did is import the album into an audio programme, splice the two sections together and then burn the album with it as one continuous song.

BTW Slaine, you're not deranged.

Just wrong tongue.gif

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ Aug 2 2005, 05:39 AM)

I know some people will think I'm deranged, but I think WYWH is far superior to Dark Side

Yes thats exactly how I feel about Wish You Were Here aswell. A truley fantastic album and after careful thought and deliberation, I have decided that Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V) is my favorite out of the lot. It's just so....peaceful and easy going! Love it cool.gif

Wish You Were Here is a great album, but I would recommend several other Pink Floyd albums before it, and for me it's around their 9th best album. I voted, but it was almost a random and somewhat uninspired vote (no offense to those who are crazy about it)...

1. Dark Side of the Moon

2. The Early Singles

3. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn

4. A Saucerful of Secrets

5. Ummagumma

6. Meddle

7. Atom Heart Mother

8. Animals

9. Wish You Were Here

10. The Wall

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Aug 2 2005, 10:03 AM)
Wish You Were Here is a great album, but I would recommend several other Pink Floyd albums before it, and for me it's around their 9th best album. I voted, but it was almost a random and somewhat uninspired vote (no offense to those who are crazy about it)...

1. Dark Side of the Moon
2. The Early Singles
3. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
4. A Saucerful of Secrets
5. Ummagumma
6. Meddle
7. Atom Heart Mother
8. Animals
9. Wish You Were Here
10. The Wall

I guess for me it was almost a random and uninspired vote because like many here, I feel it's more like one continuous piece and they are all of about equal quality. For me there's early Pink Floyd 1966-1972, mid-period 1973-1979 and everything that came after. I consider the early stuff to be the Pink Floyd that I truly love, the one that unfortunately gets the least attention. Their mid-period was their world domination period, and of those 4 albums, I think Dark Side is the true classic - the other ones I also think very highly of, but for me it's a different group - gone is the wild experimentation in favor of "the big concept." Not to put that down, as they did that better than pretty much anyone, I just prefer their earlier days. Everything after The Wall to me is their washed up phase - there are great songs like Leaning To Fly, but mostly they were a shoadow of their former glory by this point.

Wish You Were Here - yes, great album, but far from their best IMHO...

I realy like this album, it's probably not my favorite, or I'd be known as pinkfloyd1975 around here. tongue.gif But it's a damned good album!! I went with WYHW too.

Not deranged at all, sir! Everyone has their own opinions. Here's one you probably don't ever hear. I consider myself a lifelong, long-time Pink Floyd fan and what I consider my favorite work of theirs is probably unusual to many. I've heard it all...but to me Wish You Were Here, Animals, and Dark Side are my 3 faves out of the whole catelogue. To me Animals is simply PF at their best...the mixture of sounds, lyrics, timing, etc. only as Pink Floyd can do it! Wish You Were Here is a very close second. I would put The Wall as my 4th favorite....but my number 5 would probably be Divison Bell..strangely enough. I don't ever seem to hear much praise for this album, and I know some die hards don't even consider it PF since someone's missing, but I love it! Go figure....Wearing the Inside Out and Coming Back to Life are two of my fave PF tunes. Anybody else feel this way? Tell me I'm not crazy...

QUOTE (bytorcygnus @ Aug 2 2005, 08:43 PM)

Not deranged at all, sir! Everyone has their own opinions. Here's one you probably don't ever hear. I consider myself a lifelong, long-time Pink Floyd fan and what I consider my favorite work of theirs is probably unusual to many. I've heard it all...but to me Wish You Were Here, Animals, and Dark Side are my 3 faves out of the whole catelogue. To me Animals is simply PF at their best...the mixture of sounds, lyrics, timing, etc. only as Pink Floyd can do it! Wish You Were Here is a very close second. I would put The Wall as my 4th favorite....but my number 5 would probably be Divison Bell..strangely enough. I don't ever seem to hear much praise for this album, and I know some die hards don't even consider it PF since someone's missing, but I love it! Go figure....Wearing the Inside Out and Coming Back to Life are two of my fave PF tunes. Anybody else feel this way? Tell me I'm not crazy...

You must be hanging out with the wrong crowd. I know plenty of people who love Div Bell.

Your favorite isn't strange either. I also know plenty of people with the same favorite.

I go with the first "Shine On" installment. It's one of the finest pieces of music ever, in my opinion. I practically become paralyzed the moment I hear its first moments, and it's the kind of paralysis where you feel the world's stopped turning and everyone else is listening to the song with you. The second one has the awesome slide guitar, though, which I do love; and "Wish You Were Here" is a great sing-along.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Aug 2 2005, 07:35 AM)
Went with "Shine On....", but what I did is import the album into an audio programme, splice the two sections together and then burn the album with it as one continuous song.

Same here...I love having all the parts together. Except I used a plain old audio PROGRAM, which is so woefully unsophisticated compared to an audio programme.

tongue.gif