2015 is (semi) Official!

Snaked

Take out Different Strings (because they said they would never do it in concert).

When and where did they say this?

In the Martin Popoff book I have.

Do they say why?

Can you email me the book?

I have a hard copy of the book. Besides, you're asking someone with dial up to do that? Have you lost your whits today?

Because you are such a stellar man, I am going to get the book out and look for the part. Then, I will return to my computer and painstakingly, with one finger, type out the quote for you.

Is this the quote?

“Odd man out of Permanent Waves is ‘Different Strings,’ a hugely underrated ballad [written by Geddy] for the band, sophisticated textures and melodies marking a step forward indeed. ‘There’s usually one song per album that is produced in such a way that we’ll never play it live,’ says Alex. ‘”Madrigal” [on A Farewell to Kings] is one of those. So is “Different Strings.”‘—Martin Popoff, Contents Under Pressure

I'm assuming it's because of the piano part...they could always do a different arrangement or an acoustic version.

And that CygnusBK guy said they don't like the song because they don't play it. Whatever.

Another quote about Different Strings:

“I love the feel of the tune. It reminds me of soldiers sitting around a piano in a smoke-filled pub in England during the war. It’s the type of solo I really enjoy playing, an emotive, bluesy sort of thing.” (Guitar Player, 1980)—Alex in Merely Players

Is this the quote?

“Odd man out of Permanent Waves is ‘Different Strings,’ a hugely underrated ballad [written by Geddy] for the band, sophisticated textures and melodies marking a step forward indeed. ‘There’s usually one song per album that is produced in such a way that we’ll never play it live,’ says Alex. ‘”Madrigal” [on A Farewell to Kings] is one of those. So is “Different Strings.”‘—Martin Popoff, Contents Under Pressure

hahahaha

Yes.

Here you go:

"There's usually one song per album that is produced in such a way that we'll never play them live. Madrigal is one of those, so is Different Strings."

But when did Alex actually say that? Well, Alex said it so it's not completely reliable...and plus if he said this 30 or so years ago it's moot because Witch Hunt was another track never intended to be played live..but it's been played live.

Here you go:

"There's usually one song per album that is produced in such a way that we'll never play them live. Madrigal is one of those, so is Different Strings."

But when did Alex actually say that? Well, Alex said it so it's not completely reliable...and plus if he said this 30 or so years ago it's moot because Witch Hunt was another track never intended to be played live..but it's been played live.

Songs that might have been difficult to play live 30 years ago would be attainable today due to sequencers. Should they choose to do it. They use them for other songs now.

Here you go:

Songs that might have been difficult to play live 30 years ago would be attainable today due to sequencers. Should they choose to do it. They use them for other songs now.

They did quite well without those sequencers. I don't know how they did the entire Hemispheres back then, but they did. One thing I can say about them that I couldn't say about any band in the seventies that I saw in concert (judging from the Rush bootlegs I have from that time). Rush didn't disappoint. The songs sounded in concert like they did on the albums.

Edited by Lorraine

Here you go:

They did quite well without those sequencers. I don't know how they did the entire Hemispheres back then, but they did. One thing I can say about them that I couldn't say about any band in the seventies that I saw in concert (judging from the Rush bootlegs I have from that time). Rush didn't disappoint. The songs sounded in concert like they did on the albums.

Oh I agree. I miss the days when Geddy would sing, play bass and play the Taurus pedals with his feet.

They could probably play anything they want now except for the songs where they would have to use a sequencer for Geddy's vocals.

Like any of them that have a vocal? ;)

Is this the quote?

So was Witch Hunt (per the Taking Center Stage DVD), so just because something started as a "production number" doesn't mean it will always be that way.

Ok Eaglemoon, Savage and Lorraine.. Are your guys' avatar pics all related somehow? You're freakin me out here lol Edited by MMCXII

Ok Eaglemoon, Savage and Lorraine.. Are your guys' avatar pics all related somehow? You're freakin me out here lol

:LOL: It's from another thread. It's supposed to represent a show of support for the album Hemispheres. Hard to explain exactly why. :D

• Like 1

Ok Eaglemoon, Savage and Lorraine.. Are your guys' avatar pics all related somehow? You're freakin me out here lol

:LOL: It's from another thread. It's supposed to represent a show of support for the album Hemispheres. Hard to explain exactly why. :D

That's correct. Eagle is the Hemispheres' Ambassador. One member of TRF, who shall remain nameless to protect him, had the audacity :o to say that he doesn't like Hemispheres. :o Can you believe it? :o

Anyway, I kind of like my Peeps pic. Especially the word "Futile." :LOL:

• Like 2

Uh. Mine has absolutely nothing to do with Hemispheres. I just love peeps. You can project your own meaning onto it but that's not my meaning.