Interstellar - A Magnificent Film

Principled Man

What a wonderful film experience. :sundog: :sundog: :sundog:

Gripping, emotional, visually stunning, intellectually stimulating.......truly Oscar worthy.

Through it all, the one thing that stood out the most was the relationship between Cooper (Matthew McConaughey) and his daughter, Murphy. I've seen some really good performances by child actors, but Mackenzie Foy may have bested them all in her portrayal of the 10-year old Murphy. Jessica Chastain was equally brilliant as the adult Murphy. I haven't been a fan of Anne Hathaway, but in this film, she was excellent. Everyone in the cast gave excellent performances, from the always great Michael Caine (as Professor Brand) down to Collette Wolfe (as the not-so-bright schoolteacher..... :bitchslap: ).

The astronauts' quest to save mankind was a visual tour-de-force, but still grounded in real life technical realism. Blend in some philosophical equations on love and how it works within the multi-dimensional space-time continuum, and you have a great adventure! :D :D

The only criticism I have is that some of the technical aspects of the voyage were addressed a bit too quickly, possibly leaving some of the audience a little confused or even lost.

I give Interstellar a 9.5 out of 10. GREAT show. :haz: :haz: :haz:

http://www.movie-list.com/img/posters/big/zoom/interstellar.jpg

• Like 2

Hey so why didn't you post this in the "last movie you watched" thread?

Umm.....I didn't know I was required to do that. :huh:

Have you seen it yet? It's great, great, great!! I'm going to see it again!!

Hey so why didn't you post this in the "last movie you watched" thread?

Umm.....I didn't know I was required to do that. :huh:

Have you seen it yet? It's great, great, great!! I'm going to see it again!!

You're not required to do anything.

I just don't start a thread every time I watch a new film.

A physics teacher of mine saw it and loved it. I'll have to go.

It was made with great attention to scientific accuracy, so those with that background should appreciate it very much.

It's rather long (2 hrs, 49 min), but it doesn't drag. In fact, I thought some of the scenes could have been drawn out even longer. I assume that the film makers feared making it "too long", but in this case, I don't think it would have hurt at all!

• Like 1

The movie certainly isn't without its plot holes or implausible science, but it's still a magnificent achievement. I don't think I've ever seen a sci-fi film as ambitious as this one. Trying to depict something as incredible as black holes, or extrasolar planets is no easy task but they did a phenomenal job with it. Add to that a beautiful, emotional story and it's definitely one of my all-time favorite sci-fi films.

And the soundtrack is phenomenal too. So fitting.

Edited by adace1
  • Like 1

....implausible science....

That is the beauty of science fiction films; the film makers can take the implausible, the improbable, the next-to-impossible, and make it into a great film.

Science fiction is the improbable made possible. Fantasy is the impossible made probable. (Rod Serling) :haz:

• Like 1

The movie certainly isn't without its plot holes or implausible science, but it's still a magnificent achievement. I don't think I've ever seen a sci-fi film as ambitious as this one. Trying to depict something as incredible as black holes, or extrasolar planets is no easy task but they did a phenomenal job with it. Add to that a beautiful, emotional story and it's definitely one of my all-time favorite sci-fi films.

I've seen this movie twice now. I really love it. The music reminds me of a John Carpenter soundtrack. The movie itself reminds me of Kubrick's "2001: A Space Odyssey" on steroids and HGH!

It's out of this world!!!!! Best movie I have seen in decades.

....implausible science....

That is the beauty of science fiction films; the film makers can take the implausible, the improbable, the next-to-impossible, and make it into a great film.

Science fiction is the improbable made possible. Fantasy is the impossible made probable. (Rod Serling) :haz:

SERLING RULES!

Edited by RUSHHEAD666
  • Like 2

Alongside Tree Of Life and Gravity, I am dying to see this but just haven't got the time!

Soon...

Is the audio level as bad as people say it is when dialogue is spoken? I'll have to wait until Redbox if this is the case so I can understand with subtitles. Also, TDKR was a big disappointment and even though he's not a bad director, the "He is the 2nd coming of Christ/Kubrick" mentality of Nolan's fanboys is really annoying. If anyone is on the level of Kubrick now, it's PT Anderson.

Love Jessica Chastain so I'll definitely see it. Great actress and a lovely golden era Hollywood esque one to look at. :wub:

Just picked up the soundtrack CD today. I am cranking it as we speak!! :haz: :haz:

We took our 13 year old to see this movie last night. He loves science. He watches science videos for fun, we are taking him to see Mythbusters live on Thursday night.

For me, this movie was a Mindf*ck.

For him - he loved it. Not sure he quite got it all (I know I didn't)

The acting was awesome. The dialogue was not balanced with the audio - but that could have been due to the IMAX experience. I didn't like that though. I missed some important things, I think.

I didn't notice the soundtrack - so it must have been a perfect compliment to the emotional relationship the viewer has with the on screen activity.

I have no interest in seeing it again.

If my son would like it, I'd buy it for him.

He couldn't stop talking about it, nor could he stop saying thank you for taking him.

Digi enjoyed it as well - but I will let him post about it if he wants.

This movie is fantastic.

The audio did overpower the dialogue in a few places, unfortunately once or twice during critical dialogue.

I was very surprised at the amount of technology, science and theories that are used. There was a lot to absorb and understand if you aren't familiar with those ideas. They did go a good job of explaining it, but as PM said sometimes they went a little too fast and some of the theories weren't explained in enough detail. I was fascinated with the blackholes and worm holes and they did a phenomenal job with all of it. I think it was a bit of a risk to put so much technical science into a main stream movie, but they pulled it off.

It's funny that Sunny said it was a mindfuck, when we were leaving a couple behind me were talking aout it and the is what the girl said too, "That totally fiked with my head."

Visually stunning. The depiction of the scenery was awesome. (I use that word with it's actualy definition, not the slang term it is usually used as) I didn't even notice the soundtrack exxept when it got so loud drowning out the diagloue.

Easliy 9 out of 10.

• Like 1

Just picked up the soundtrack CD today. I am cranking it as we speak!! :haz: :haz:

Wow! This is wild. I'm listening to the soundtrack right now! I love it too! A hint of John Carpenter. I'm a huge fan of his soundtracks.

I love the packaging too! Comes with a star chart!!

A+++++++++++++++++++++

Saw this movie in one of those fancy Imax thingys the other day. Alls I know is it didn't do anything to help my hangover. My brain hurt. I thought it was funny that McConaughey's character was like the opposite of him in Dazed and Confused, he was all, "Alright alright, they get older, I stay the same age, alright alright."

Just saw this over the holiday weekend and I was very impressed. We got to the theatre late so we had to sit up closer than I would like (4 rows from the front) but it actually made it fill my field of vision and it was stunning. I didn't notice any dialogue being overpowered by the music perhaps that was because we were so close. This definitely is Oscar material and I agree with others in the similar feel of the show to 2001. Plan on a second viewing for sure :drool: :popcorn:
  • Like 1

Just saw this over the holiday weekend and I was very impressed. We got to the theatre late so we had to sit up closer than I would like (4 rows from the front) but it actually made it fill my field of vision and it was stunning. I didn't notice any dialogue being overpowered by the music perhaps that was because we were so close. This definitely is Oscar material and I agree with others in the similar feel of the show to 2001. Plan on a second viewing for sure :drool: :popcorn:

I trust your judgement. I was considering seeing this anyway but I am very hard to please when it comes to movies. I will go see it now. Thanks for the review.... :)
  • Like 1

It's Oscar worthy on the acting alone, IMO. Great cast, great performances, and great relationships between the characters. :haz:

• Like 1

Just came home from watching it, and still have bits of it flashing in my head. There´s not a single bad scene in this movie - all the acting is top notch. And me recently becoming a father, watching the father-daughter relationship that permeates the plot made it all the more interesting and emotional. After watching this I realized Nolan is quickly becoming my favorite director now.
  • Like 3

I saw Interstellar today. What an amazing movie! It left me speechless (something that rarely happens, according to my husband). I do agree that a few times the music was too loud and I couldn't understand the words. Nevertheless, it was well worth the price of admission. I give it 9.9 out of 10.
  • Like 1