Sonny's Pit BBQ

The Analog Cub

I got back to thinking when I was younger (I'm talking like ages 4-8) years old and I was living in Kings Bay, GA and back to when we were in the territory of the restaurant chain Sonny's Pit BBQ.

Anybody down there been to one of those? I really miss that place and its smoked chicken. Their brisket is good too, and the quality of the garlic bread can't be understated. My family had the chance to experience Sonny's again when we went on vacation to Cocoa Beach, FL 3 years ago and it was like reliving my childhood. Up here in IA they have Famous Dave's which isn't bad either, though.

• Like 1

If I am not mistaken there is (or was) one just off of 95 in very southern GA that my parents stopped at frequently when going up and down the east coast. I have been there a couple times myself with them and it was great and my parents always sang its praises. If I am not mistaken however, I think it is no longer there.....

Just to remain consistent>>>>>>> :blink:

:D

I had Sonny's, it was pretty good.

We have a ton of Dave's up here in MN...really good stuff. Love their BBQ Chicken Platter with a double helping of fries.

If I am not mistaken there is (or was) one just off of 95 in very southern GA that my parents stopped at frequently when going up and down the east coast. I have been there a couple times myself with them and it was great and my parents always sang its praises. If I am not mistaken however, I think it is no longer there.....

And I am willing to bet that very Sonny's off of I-95 in very southern Georgia is the Sonny's in Kings Bay that I went to all those times as a kid.

I had Sonny's, it was pretty good.

We have a ton of Dave's up here in MN...really good stuff. Love their BBQ Chicken Platter with a double helping of fries.

Yeah there's a Dave's down in Des Moines and it's delicious. I always get the Ultimate BBQ burger because I'm a skinny college boy and gotta eat.

My house never runs out of Devil's Spit sauce. We put that shit on any kind of meat on the Bowler turf.

And I am willing to bet that very Sonny's off of I-95 in very southern Georgia is the Sonny's in Kings Bay that I went to all those times as a kid.

If I am not mistaken it is pretty near the Florida line and just east off of I95. Not sure which exit. My parents told me last time we traveled and it wasn't that long ago that the place is no longer there.....

If I am not mistaken it is pretty near the Florida line and just east off of I95. Not sure which exit. My parents told me last time we traveled and it wasn't that long ago that the place is no longer there.....

Exit 3 is into Kingsland, and yep, right by the border.

The Kingsland Sonny's is no more? That hits me in the nostalgia :( RIP

Thats it. Kingsland. It is no more and they loved it... :(

Thats it. Kingsland. It is no more and they loved it... :(

Makes me wonder what's left on that main strip in town. Just about every fast food joint with KFC and Sonny's down the road a bit towards St. Mary's and the naval base, and then the local Italian restaurant Angelo's. If my parents wanted me to be a happy little elementary schooler we'd go out to eat at either Sonny's or Angelo's.

How old are you guys that had brisket at Sonny's when you were young?

I am almost 60 and when in my 20's, we ate at Sonny's in Davie FL. all the time. They had no brisket that I can remember. Chicken, ribs or sliced pork was the only meat on the menu except sliced turkey or chicken, can't remember exactly.

Oh. They had no pulled pork either. It was only sliced.

They were pioneers as far as salad bars go. The biggest and best I ever saw. Its not like that anymore.

We have one about 40 miles from here in SC. I try and stop at the GA restaurant when on my way back to Palm Beach. Its very good.

When we are in Florida, I eat there at least twice.

The Sonny's in Davie FL. burned down while still owing me a whole slab family takeout dinner.

• Like 1

I am almost 60 and when in my 20's, we ate at Sonny's in Davie FL. all the time. They had no brisket that I can remember. Chicken, ribs or sliced pork was the only meat on the menu except sliced turkey or chicken, can't remember exactly.

They were pioneers as far as salad bars go. The biggest and best I ever saw. Its not like that anymore.

We have one about 40 miles from here in SC. I try and stop at the GA restaurant when on my way back to Palm Beach. Its very good.

The Sonny's in Davie FL. burned down while still owing me a whole slab family takeout dinner.

I'm 20. When I went to the Sonny's in Kingsland I was ages 4-8. Got to have it again 3 years ago.

We go to Ft. Lauderdale beach every year. We have been in the area you speak of. Have any other suggestions?

Edited by troutman

Where is the one in SC?.....

Sonny's no longer exists in South FL, There's a few local yokel's doing BBQ here, none worth writing home about.

Narpski Its in Powdersville. Near greenville.

pjbear. When I left 23 years ago, the one in Davie was burned down and they built a new one on University drive in N. Hollywood.

There was also one in Ft Lauderdale.

Both are gone? Wonder why? I really liked Sonny's and have many good memories.

There is one right off I-95 in South GA. There were two, but one is closed now.

Narpski Its in Powdersville. Near greenville.

pjbear. When I left 23 years ago, the one in Davie was burned down and they built a new one on University drive in N. Hollywood.

There was also one in Ft Lauderdale.

Both are gone? Wonder why? I really liked Sonny's and have many good memories.

There is one right off I-95 in South GA. There were two, but one is closed now.

Appreciate the info. Greenville is a bit far for me for some good pulled pork. I knew the one my parents used to go to when they traveled 95 south was closed. I didn't know there was another one though. In Myrtle Beach there is a place near me called Little Pigs that I like alot. They have the style of fries I really like too and its all affordable enough. We don't go there often but when we want some bar-b-q thats where we go.... Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1