ES-335 question (or ES-355)

Rush-O-Matic

I just got an Epiphone ES-335 Pro and I am loving it. However, it's the first hollow or semi hollow electric I've had. The strap button is on the neck heel instead of the horn. So, a regular strap ends up with a twist. I noticed on this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abVxtS2_Jsk

that Alex's strap has a thin extension piece, but I can't really tell how it's attaching. Does anybody else have a strap suggestion that keeps the twist out?

Not being a smart ass, but have you tried asking Google?

Yes. None of the suggestions were of any real help. I don't want to modify my guitar, for one thing.

Isn't it just attached backwards? A lot of players install these backwards.

I'm not sure what you mean - is the strap backwards? I'm not sure how that would help. I am a novice guitar player, so I will take all the suggestions I can. On my Les Paul and on the Fender I used to have, the button is on the horn, so it's oriented 180 degrees opposite the other strap button. On my acoustic guitars, the body is deep enough so that the heel of where the neck attaches is long enough for the strap button to be there. But, on the 335, the body, therefore the heel, is not very deep. Mounting the strap button there would make it sit in an obstruction point when playing up past the 12th fret. (At least, I guess that's the reason.) So the strap button is mounted where the back and heel come together, which is 90 degrees opposite the other button.

http://www.xhefriguitars.com/Gibsons/1980ES335TS/ES335TS4.jpg

I just thought maybe other 335 owners might chime in on what they do.

Put the strap over your shoulder without the guitar on. Grab your guitar. Attach the strap to the neck with the front of the strap facing the back of the guitar and attach to the bottom with the strap facing away from the guitar.

Photo%2BNov%2B06%2C%2B1%2B26%2B58%2BPM.jpg

Photo%2BNov%2B06%2C%2B1%2B29%2B21%2BPM.jpg

Photo%2BNov%2B06%2C%2B1%2B27%2B18%2BPM.jpg

No twist. Simple physics. It's not backwards either. It's how you attach a strap to a guitar with a button on the neck.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

You and ancient ways are correct and I am an idiot. The strap I was using was a Lock-It strap. The release button was keeping me from recognizing I could just flip it over using most other straps. (I was also posting from my office with neither my guitar nor my straps handy, and I wasn't visualizing very well.) I put a leather strap on it, that has a skinny end that can be reverse fed, and it works great. Thanks all - sorry for being a moron.
  • Like 1

There's no such thing as a stupid question. Sometimes an answer is in front of you that you can't see.

I was visiting a friend and fellow drummer a while back helping him setup some drum hardware when he mentioned he would like to have a certain tom in a specific spot but the hardware wouldn't go there. So I grabbed the tom arm and pulled it out of the top of the stand flipped it over and inserted it from the bottom and the tom was where he wanted it. He never would have thought of doing what I did and I wouldn't have changed anything if he hadn't mentioned it. I just had more experience with different types of hardware. Experience makes all the difference. Always glad to help!

• Like 1