Any Marillion fans out there?

Relayer2112

I would still say that in the US, Marillion is considered to be one of those obscure one-hit wonder bands of the 80s similar to Katrina And The Waves due in part to Kayleigh's success.

As for Holloway Girl, I SWEAR I've heard that song before I learned about Marillion and it was on some 80s radio station. It might have been a Sirius XM channel.

I would still say that in the US, Marillion is considered to be one of those obscure one-hit wonder bands of the 80s similar to Katrina And The Waves due in part to Kayleigh's success.

As for Holloway Girl, I SWEAR I've heard that song before I learned about Marillion and it was on some 80s radio station. It might have been a Sirius XM channel.

I suppose it's possible. I know nothing about the algorithms used on satellite radio. (Don't have it.)I know when I had Music Choice the "Alternative" channel played random songs from Seasons End and Holidays In Eden for some strange reason.

I think you'd hear Walking on Sunshine at least 10 times before you'd hear any Marillion song though.

I do find it pretty sad if there are a bunch of people that are like "Marillion? They had that hit Kayleigh back in '85....Shame they haven't done anything else after."

Meanwhile, they've put out FIFTEEN albums since Misplaced Childhood.

I do find it pretty sad if there are a bunch of people that are like "Marillion? They had that hit Kayleigh back in '85....Shame they haven't done anything else after."

Meanwhile, they've put out FIFTEEN albums since Misplaced Childhood.

Everyone I know who has heard of Marillion is a fan of the band. But mostly not many people know who they are. That's just the way it is in my experience.

Sometimes I feel like Assassing could have been a huge dance hit in the US if it weren't for the lyrics. The lyrics to Assassing are amazing and very poetic, however I believe that it pretty much killed the chance of Assassing being a huge hit. I mean, think about it, how many pop tunes out there make references to "Pavlovian" something or others?

I know Marillion is not a pop band by ANY means whatsoever, but you gotta admit, Assassing has that hook.

Another thing, I don't know how Fish did it, but the first time you read some of his lyrics, they make no sense whatsoever. Then you read them a second time, and they make PERFECT sense.

• Like 2

Sometimes I feel like Assassing could have been a huge dance hit in the US if it weren't for the lyrics. The lyrics to Assassing are amazing and very poetic, however I believe that it pretty much killed the chance of Assassing being a huge hit. I mean, think about it, how many pop tunes out there make references to "Pavlovian" something or others?

I know Marillion is not a pop band by ANY means whatsoever, but you gotta admit, Assassing has that hook.

Another thing, I don't know how Fish did it, but the first time you read some of his lyrics, they make no sense whatsoever. Then you read them a second time, and they make PERFECT sense.

Assassing is nothing but killer prog. :haz: :smoke:

Very true, but Assassing also has that sort of Miami Vice feel to it as well :) And I love shit like that :)

Edited by fraroc

I

It was a concert staple for a while there. Always liked the video. Really shines live though without the dated production.

I

It was a concert staple for a while there. Always liked the video. Really shines live though without the dated production.

Hey it was 1984, the year of great productions. Under Wraps and GUP alert. :16ton: I still love the sound of the Fugazi LP though.

I saw them do Assassing live in 1985 and it was beyond everything back then. Fish was so polarizing with the expression of his brilliant lyrics. Just fab.

I

Hey it was 1984, the year of great productions. Under Wraps and GUP alert. :16ton: I still love the sound of the Fugazi LP though.

I saw them do Assassing live in 1985 and it was beyond everything back then. Fish was so polarizing with the expression of his brilliant lyrics. Just fab.

From what I've seen and heard during those years. Those Euro and UK gigs are really special.

I like Fugazi, but the songs are so much better live. I always thought the production work was a little thin.

• Like 1

I

From what I've seen and heard during those years. Those Euro and UK gigs are really special.

I like Fugazi, but the songs are so much better live. I always thought the production work was a little thin.

As I said, the vinyl version sounds fine to me. The CD's are crap, well, the remaster of Fugazi isn't that bad, but compared to the vinyl it still stinks. Anyway, Marillion were a great live band back then. Always a party, with a lot of the best freaks. :hail:

I

As I said, the vinyl version sounds fine to me. The CD's are crap, well, the remaster of Fugazi isn't that bad, but compared to the vinyl it still stinks. Anyway, Marillion were a great live band back then. Always a party, with a lot of the best freaks. :hail:

Always a great live band even now. Fish too.

This is just sublime.

http://youtu.be/uaBVTtt53FA

God Awful.

that gave me a good laugh. as i cannot even if a gun was to head...get into the Hogarth stuff.

great sleeping pill though.

Mick

Is that because you're loyal to Fish, and no one can replace him, or just not into Hogarth?

no i'm not that crazy, lol. i just think Hogarth has a rather boring voice. which is a shame becausei like a bunch of the tunes in the H era. i wish they'd gone with someone else though.

Mick

I saw Marillion in Orlando a couple weeks back. I was super hyped to meet one of my drumming heros - Mr. Ian Mosley. It was neat talking with him about drum tracks that inspired me so much in the 80's. However, the show pretty much solidified my take on Marillion. I adored the Fish era - and not just because of Fish, but their musical direction in general. And, unfortunately, I just really do not care for the H era. I tried, back in 89 with Season's End, and it didn't take. As big a Marillion fan as I was, I gave them lots more chances with each album. But they all pretty much fell flat for me. The show mirrored that. I could appreciate some of the art of the new disc - but, frankly, I found the drums very straight forward and boring (almost no fills at all...), the guitar solos significantly lacking, and I don't really like H's voice (a newbie friend joked of H "you can tell he's in love with his voice" and termed it "Dennis DeYoung syndrome".) By in large, the H era stuff just feels so "Meh" to me, with just a few exceptions (though Easter was very nice live.) It was interesting to note that perhaps alot of the Marillion die-hards feel that way too - the biggest audience response of the night were for "Sugar Mice", "Kayleigh" and "Garden Party".

With Fish, Marillion was a top ten band for me. I gave them an honest try with H, but it just didn't take. I revisit them from time to time, but I just don't get the same buzz from them with H. There are a few great songs, but some of it is so bland and meh... the magic left.

I felt the same way 2.5 years ago... 10 years ago.... 29 years ago....

• Like 1

With Fish, Marillion was a top ten band for me. I gave them an honest try with H, but it just didn't take. I revisit them from time to time, but I just don't get the same buzz from them with H. There are a few great songs, but some of it is so bland and meh... the magic left.

I felt the same way 2.5 years ago... 10 years ago.... 29 years ago....

i hear you. i try every few months actually. and there are some really REALLY good tunes in the H era. and in all honesty. it should be right up my alley. it's the voice though. i still maintain H is forever singing through a gigantic yawn.

or a head cold, lol

Mick

• Like 1

I saw Marillion in Orlando a couple weeks back. I was super hyped to meet one of my drumming heros - Mr. Ian Mosley. It was neat talking with him about drum tracks that inspired me so much in the 80's. However, the show pretty much solidified my take on Marillion. I adored the Fish era - and not just because of Fish, but their musical direction in general. And, unfortunately, I just really do not care for the H era. I tried, back in 89 with Season's End, and it didn't take. As big a Marillion fan as I was, I gave them lots more chances with each album. But they all pretty much fell flat for me. The show mirrored that. I could appreciate some of the art of the new disc - but, frankly, I found the drums very straight forward and boring (almost no fills at all...), the guitar solos significantly lacking, and I don't really like H's voice (a newbie friend joked of H "you can tell he's in love with his voice" and termed it "Dennis DeYoung syndrome".) By in large, the H era stuff just feels so "Meh" to me, with just a few exceptions (though Easter was very nice live.) It was interesting to note that perhaps alot of the Marillion die-hards feel that way too - the biggest audience response of the night were for "Sugar Mice", "Kayleigh" and "Garden Party".

When I last saw Marillion in 2016, I did notice the tempo was lacking a little, but other than that I thought it was a great show. Mosley has never been one to draw a lot of attention to himself. He just sits back there and gets the job done with a lot of subtly. .

For me I think Hograth's voice has improved over the last 10 years. There are various points (Brave and Afraid of Sunlight) where I didn't think that was the case but I think he finally found his sweet spot.

For what it's worth, I think the Fish-era should be left alone. I don't like Hogarth singing it and Fish really can't do it any more. There are plenty choice live shows out there to enjoy. Although Rothery does a decent job of it with his band.I guess.