• Members
  • 32758 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:28 PM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 03 March 2018 - 11:12 PM, said:

View Postytserush, on 03 March 2018 - 10:58 PM, said:

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 02 March 2018 - 03:29 PM, said:

This is just sublime.

Effing Brilliant!

Is this the Royal Albert Hall DVD teaser?

Nope, this: http://www.marillion...natr-bluray.htm

I have the cd and blu-ray!  Japanese pressing of course!  :)

Sponsored Post

#222 cygnify

cygnify

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1472 posts
  • Interests:Drums, Astronomy, Family (not necessarily in that order)

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:28 PM

I saw Marillion in Orlando a couple weeks back.  I was super hyped to meet one of my drumming heros - Mr. Ian Mosley.  It was neat talking with him about drum tracks that inspired me so much in the 80's.  However, the show pretty much solidified my take on Marillion.  I adored the Fish era - and not just because of Fish, but their musical direction in general.  And, unfortunately, I just really do not care for the H era.  I tried, back in 89 with Season's End, and it didn't take.  As big a Marillion fan as I was, I gave them lots more chances with each album.  But they all pretty much fell flat for me.  The show mirrored that.  I could appreciate some of the art of the new disc - but, frankly, I found the drums very straight forward and boring (almost no fills at all...), the guitar solos significantly lacking, and I don't really like H's voice (a newbie friend joked of H "you can tell he's in love with his voice" and termed it "Dennis DeYoung syndrome".)  By in large, the H era stuff just feels so "Meh" to me, with just a few exceptions (though Easter was very nice live.)  It was interesting to note that perhaps alot of the Marillion die-hards feel that way too - the biggest audience response of the night were for "Sugar Mice", "Kayleigh" and "Garden Party".

#223 cygnify

cygnify

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1472 posts
  • Interests:Drums, Astronomy, Family (not necessarily in that order)

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:33 PM

View Postcygnify, on 03 November 2014 - 08:36 PM, said:

With Fish, Marillion was a top ten band for me.  I gave them an honest try with H, but it just didn't take.  I revisit them from time to time, but I just don't get the same buzz from them with H.  There are a few great songs, but some of it is so bland and meh...  the magic left.

I felt the same way 2.5 years ago...  10 years ago.... 29 years ago....

#224 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

I never talk to strangers

• Members
  • 17911 posts
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:03 PM

View Postcygnify, on 06 March 2018 - 03:33 PM, said:

With Fish, Marillion was a top ten band for me.  I gave them an honest try with H, but it just didn't take.  I revisit them from time to time, but I just don't get the same buzz from them with H.  There are a few great songs, but some of it is so bland and meh...  the magic left.

i hear you.  i try every few months actually.  and there are some really REALLY good tunes in the H era. and in all honesty.  it should be right up my alley.  it's the voice though.  i still maintain H is forever singing through a gigantic yawn.

or a head cold, lol

Mick

#225 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4394 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:06 AM

View Postcygnify, on 06 March 2018 - 03:28 PM, said:

I saw Marillion in Orlando a couple weeks back.  I was super hyped to meet one of my drumming heros - Mr. Ian Mosley.  It was neat talking with him about drum tracks that inspired me so much in the 80's.  However, the show pretty much solidified my take on Marillion.  I adored the Fish era - and not just because of Fish, but their musical direction in general.  And, unfortunately, I just really do not care for the H era.  I tried, back in 89 with Season's End, and it didn't take.  As big a Marillion fan as I was, I gave them lots more chances with each album.  But they all pretty much fell flat for me.  The show mirrored that.  I could appreciate some of the art of the new disc - but, frankly, I found the drums very straight forward and boring (almost no fills at all...), the guitar solos significantly lacking, and I don't really like H's voice (a newbie friend joked of H "you can tell he's in love with his voice" and termed it "Dennis DeYoung syndrome".)  By in large, the H era stuff just feels so "Meh" to me, with just a few exceptions (though Easter was very nice live.)  It was interesting to note that perhaps alot of the Marillion die-hards feel that way too - the biggest audience response of the night were for "Sugar Mice", "Kayleigh" and "Garden Party".

When I last saw Marillion in 2016, I did notice the tempo was lacking a little, but other than that I thought it was a great show. Mosley has never been one to draw a lot of attention to himself. He just sits back there and gets the job done with a lot of subtly. .

For me I think Hograth's voice has improved over the last 10 years. There are various points (Brave and Afraid of Sunlight) where I didn't think that was the case but I think he finally found his sweet spot.

For what it's worth, I think the Fish-era should be left alone. I don't like Hogarth singing it and Fish really can't do it any more.  There are plenty choice live shows out there to enjoy.  Although Rothery does a decent job of it with his band.I guess.

#226 YYZumbi

YYZumbi

Vapor Trail

• Members *
  • 19065 posts
  • Interests:Vinyl records and music in general.

Posted 10 March 2018 - 09:34 PM

#227 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32758 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 01:31 AM

View PostYYZumbi, on 10 March 2018 - 09:34 PM, said:

The real solo shit. FISH RULES!

I am so pissed tonight.  I bought my BRAVE CD  BLU-RAY BOX SET months ago to get the autograph card from RACKET RECORDS!  So today I get my package.  NO AUTO CARD!  It came with a damaged corner too from shitty package protection.

FUCKK RACKET RECORDS!

They just lost a customer!

Don't care really anyway.

I have my MISPLACED CHILDHOOD BOXES SIGNED!   MINUS STEVE HOGARTH!  AMEN!

FISH RULES!

F "H!"

Edited by RUSHHEAD666, 11 March 2018 - 01:35 AM.

#228 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32758 posts

Posted 11 March 2018 - 01:38 AM

View Postbluefox4000, on 06 March 2018 - 04:03 PM, said:

i hear you.  i try every few months actually.  and there are some really REALLY good tunes in the H era. and in all honesty.  it should be right up my alley.  it's the voice though.  i still maintain H is forever singing through a gigantic yawn.

or a head cold, lol

Mick

That is amazing Mick!

That can be Steve's new shitty solo record.  "THE GIGANTIC YAWN!"

FISH RULES!!

I was lucky enough to meet him twice in my life.  A true gentleman and a scholar.

Met Steve once.  A total Neil Peart freak clown clone.

I remember seeing Marillion with Hogarth at the Great American Music Hall.
That prick actually stopped the concert and rambled on and on about how sorry he was to offend the American people overseas for his ultra hate and liberal views against AMERICA!

The guy is a douche bag.

He makes Neil Peart seem like Mary Poppins.

FISH IS SO FUN!

I partied with him during the show and after!!!  He is one fun fuckker.

Of course that's why his is named FISH!  Because he drinks like one!  

FISH ON!

#229 Hatchetaxe&saw

Hatchetaxe&saw

Hail the mighty Lag!

• Members *
  • 10842 posts
  • Interests:Misanthropy.

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:08 PM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 02 March 2018 - 03:29 PM, said:

This is just sublime.

Stunning.

#230 Hatchetaxe&saw

Hatchetaxe&saw

Hail the mighty Lag!

• Members *
  • 10842 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:28 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 11 March 2018 - 01:31 AM, said:

View PostYYZumbi, on 10 March 2018 - 09:34 PM, said:

The real solo shit. FISH RULES!

I am so pissed tonight.  I bought my BRAVE CD  BLU-RAY BOX SET months ago to get the autograph card from RACKET RECORDS!  So today I get my package.  NO AUTO CARD!  It came with a damaged corner too from shitty package protection.

FUCKK RACKET RECORDS!

They just lost a customer!

Don't care really anyway.

I have my MISPLACED CHILDHOOD BOXES SIGNED!   MINUS STEVE HOGARTH!  AMEN!

FISH RULES!

F "H!"

Autographed cards will be sent separately.

#231 Hatchetaxe&saw

Hatchetaxe&saw

Hail the mighty Lag!

• Members *
  • 10842 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 06:29 AM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 11 March 2018 - 01:38 AM, said:

View Postbluefox4000, on 06 March 2018 - 04:03 PM, said:

or a head cold, lol

Mick

That is amazing Mick!

That can be Steve's new shitty solo record.  "THE GIGANTIC YAWN!"

FISH RULES!!

I was lucky enough to meet him twice in my life.  A true gentleman and a scholar.

Met Steve once.  A total Neil Peart freak clown clone.

I remember seeing Marillion with Hogarth at the Great American Music Hall.
That prick actually stopped the concert and rambled on and on about how sorry he was to offend the American people overseas for his ultra hate and liberal views against AMERICA!

The guy is a douche bag.

He makes Neil Peart seem like Mary Poppins.

FISH IS SO FUN!

I partied with him during the show and after!!!  He is one fun fuckker.

Of course that's why his is named FISH!  Because he drinks like one!  

FISH ON!

I've witnessed the piscine one's less pleasant side too. There's always two sides.

#232 Hatchetaxe&saw

Hatchetaxe&saw

Hail the mighty Lag!

• Members *
  • 10842 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:23 AM

Another trailer. It was a privilege to attend this.

In terms of occasion, only Rush in Holmdel 08, Dublin 11, Glasgow 13 & MSG 15 match it. All "pinch me" nights, where there's something more than just music going on.

#233 1-0-0-1-0-0-1

1-0-0-1-0-0-1

• Admin
  • 34404 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:50 AM

View PostHatchetaxe&saw, on 13 March 2018 - 11:23 AM, said:

In terms of occasion, only Rush in Holmdel 08, Dublin 11, Glasgow 13 & MSG 15 match it. All "pinch me" nights, where there's something more than just music going on.

How did you like hearing them with the string quartet? Did you wish it was just the band in that hallowed hall, or did the quartet make the whole experience better?

#234 RUSHHEAD666

RUSHHEAD666

My name is Earl

• Members
  • 32758 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:34 PM

Did anyone get their BRAVE box set?  Mine came today.  The A4 signed cards are delayed.  I was pissed when I opened mine and there were no auto cards.  The band has to sill sign like 4000 of the cards and they will ship later.

#235 Hatchetaxe&saw

Hatchetaxe&saw

Hail the mighty Lag!

• Members *
  • 10842 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:11 AM

View Post1-0-0-1-0-0-1, on 13 March 2018 - 11:50 AM, said:

View PostHatchetaxe&saw, on 13 March 2018 - 11:23 AM, said:

How did you like hearing them with the string quartet? Did you wish it was just the band in that hallowed hall, or did the quartet make the whole experience better?

Because of the surroundings, the strings were real sprinklings of fairy dust.

#236 Hatchetaxe&saw

Hatchetaxe&saw

Hail the mighty Lag!

• Members *
  • 10842 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 04:46 AM

As I get older, and dare I say, more mature, I find Fish's amateur dramatics, over-egged vocal delivery & lovelorn teenager lyrics all a bit twee & embarrassing.

So, lucky for me, with H, they're just getting better and better.

#237 Relayer2112

Relayer2112

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 07:52 AM

View PostHatchetaxe&saw, on 14 March 2018 - 04:46 AM, said:

As I get older, and dare I say, more mature, I find Fish's amateur dramatics, over-egged vocal delivery & lovelorn teenager lyrics all a bit twee & embarrassing.

So, lucky for me, with H, they're just getting better and better.

I agree with your Fish viewpoint...as my musical tastes have matured, I find myself not enjoying the Fish stuff near as much.  Here's the odd thing...I still have absolutely no problem or degradation in my enjoyment of Peter Gabriel Genesis stuff.  You would think my opinion of old Marillion and Genesis would kind of go hand in hand.  I have no explanation.

I'm having real trouble listening to any Marillion these days, regardless of the era.  Their stuff just doesn't interest me anymore.

#238 ytserush

ytserush

The Professor

• Members *
  • 4394 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 05:17 PM

View PostRUSHHEAD666, on 13 March 2018 - 08:34 PM, said:

Did anyone get their BRAVE box set?  Mine came today.  The A4 signed cards are delayed.  I was pissed when I opened mine and there were no auto cards.  The band has to sill sign like 4000 of the cards and they will ship later.

Not happening. Least favorite album by far and a sure fire cure for insomnia. Don't need a third copy that I barely reach for as it is. I'm in for all of the others though.

Saving my money for Royal Albert Hall.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users