Announcing Kickstarter Campaign for a RUSH Fans Documentary

efdalby

Not gonna lie, this is a pretty cool concept, but it's definitely not professional. $20K is asking for far too much, and do you really expect someone to pay $1,000 for 45 seconds in the film? No way in hell.

Asking for money up front is usually the signs of a bad investment.

Not saying this particular one is a good investment but that is how movies are funded. Investing money up front to get the product produced, either by individuals or by a studio system etc. Couldn't really be done any other way unless the person is independntly wealthy and finances everything him/herself. Not saying this project needs $20,000 either.

And there have been plenty of successful Kickstarter campaigns and this isn't one of them.

Edited by savagegrace26

Asking for money? Not sure if this is cool or not.

People seem to be doing it more and more constantly - for any reason. Donation begging, crowdfunding, etc... I don't like the trend myself, but here we have what is a more respectable instance, I think.

• Like 1

Not saying this particular one is a good investment but that is how movies are funded. Investing money up front to get the product produced, either by individuals or by a studio system etc. Couldn't really be done any other way unless the person is independntly wealthy and finances everything him/herself. Not saying this project needs $20,000 either.

And there have been plenty of successful Kickstarter campaigns and this isn't one of them.

But usually the person is someone who is proved to be a successful person and can be trustworthy. We don't know who or what this really is. As for my role in the official doc, I was simply asked to do it.

But usually the person is someone who is proved to be a successful person and can be trustworthy. We don't know who or what this really is. As for my role in the official doc, I was simply asked to do it.

I completely agree. That's why I mentioned that there is no video or no credetials. How do we know this person can and will produced this well or even if he will produce it all? What has he done before this? Who is he?

There is no guarantee that anything will be produced with a successfully funded project. Anyone can just take the money and that's it. The only thing that will happen is it will hurt their reputation...and if the person has no reputation to begin with there is nothing to lose...

If I do a Kickstarter campaign (which I most likely will at some point) I will back everything up that I am pitching with a video "trailer" and a reel of projects I have produced before as well as a full budget breakdown of where the funds will go to get the project produced successfully. Everything will be documented and everyone will know exactly what the plan is to give the potential investor confidence that this is the real deal. You have to be very clear with this stuff.

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 1

Hello everyone,

I sincerely apologize if I've offended anyone here with my Kickstarter campaign. My Facebook friends were enthusiastic about the project so I thought to share it with you all it as well. Obviously I will have to fund it some other way... I still want to make it...any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your consideration.

One of the reasons the production costs are high because I intend to shoot my original footage on Super16mm using an Arriflex 416Plus HS

http://www.arricsc.c..._brochure.pdf

Another cost factor is the packaging of the product in a true retail caibre Bluray package with 4 color printing and booklet insert, etc.

Edited by efdalby

Mr. "1-0-0-1-0-0-1" I wanted to make sure he liked my project before posting it

Me and Digital Man discussed this and knowing that Kickstarter is usually a legit way to crowdfund a film project, we agreed to let efdalby post this thread.

Of course it's up to the rest of you to decide if this project is worthy of your donations. If you don't buy into this, simply don't donate. If you think this is legit and would like to see this film completed, then you can donate if you wish.

If you want to have a successful campaign listen to some of my suggestions. People need to see and know more about the project. I highly suggest shoot a short presentation video. Most film projects on Kickstarter have something of this nature. Check out some campaigns that were successfully funded and see how they went about it.

I also suggest shooting in HD instead. Would be a great way to curb costs and with the right camera and lenses it would look great.

• Like 1

If you want to have a successful campaign listen to some of my suggestions. People need to see and know more about the project. I highly suggest shoot a short presentation video. Most film projects on Kickstarter have something of this nature. Check out some campaigns that were successfully funded and see how they went about it.

I also suggest shooting in HD instead. Would be a great way to curb costs and with the right camera and lenses it would look great.

As someone who shoots and edits HD video on a daily basis, I would have to agree with this.

• Like 1

As someone who shoots and edits HD video on a daily basis, I would have to agree with this.

What camera(s) do you use?

What camera(s) do you use?

Sony FS-100.

Nice camera.

For a project like this I suggest a dslr. You can rig almost any lens to them nowadays and would most likely be able to use any 16mm film lenses you have with them with the right adapters. The footage with some of these cameras can be amazing.

I really don’t see the point of this. A documentary about us? Ummmm… pardon me for stating the obvious but we already know us.

You don't know me though... instead of donating, just send me the money and we can have a phone conversation.

Edited by Lost In Xanadu
  • Like 4

I really don’t see the point of this. A documentary about us? Ummmm… pardon me for stating the obvious but we already know us.

You don't know me though... instead of donating, just send me the money and we can have a phone conversation.

True, but honestly how interesting are we compared to the band? The Beyond the Lighted Stage documentary had some short interviews with some fans. Nothing against them personally but I would rather have that time spent on the band. I like meeting people at the concerts and talking about Rush but a whole documentary just seems completely unnecessary.

True, but honestly how interesting are we compared to the band? The Beyond the Lighted Stage documentary had some short interviews with some fans. Nothing against them personally but I would rather have that time spent on the band. I like meeting people at the concerts and talking about Rush but a whole documentary just seems completely unnecessary.

I think that it could be interesting if done well, and not at full feature length.

• Like 1

There are several points about this which don't float well in the wash.

For me, the one that jumped out at me first was the fact they're going to film at the Mid-Atlantic shows only.

There are RUSH fans not only across North America, but around the world as well.

It's very short sighted to attempt to sell a documentary about the fans, but then only focus on one small segment of that fanbase.

Nice concept, but it needs to be thought through quite a bit better IMNTBHO.

• Like 4

There are several points about this which don't float well in the wash.

For me, the one that jumped out at me first was the fact they're going to film at the Mid-Atlantic shows only.

There are RUSH fans not only across North America, but around the world as well.

It's very short sighted to attempt to sell a documentary about the fans, but then only focus on one small segment of that fanbase.

Nice concept, but it needs to be thought through quite a bit better IMNTBHO.

dude you can get a good representative sample of American fans at the mid atlantic shows, Rush fans across the country aren't all that different from each other and traveling around the world adds a lot of expense. you folks are already complaining about this guy's ask (which is way more than he's gonna get with his halfassed campaign but not an unreasonable budget for a WHOLE FILM) and now you wanna send him all over the world? and you say HE isn't thinking things through!