Winter 2014-2015

Aikenrooster

Looks like the Southern Appalachians are going to get 6 inches of snow today. The Accu-Weather radar on my phone shows the whole upstate of SC also getting snow. Maybe DPR can give us a weather report.

Thanks for starting this topic... I'm sure I'll be in here from time to time venting my frustrations as another Canadian winter rears its ugly head. To anyone who has upcoming travel plans over the winter season, be safe! Edited by RushCanuck
  • Like 2

Just watching the Winnipeg/Calgary game & it's snowing like heck!

I just tuned in... yup, that's Canada for you - it can be snowing somewhere in this big country long before winter actually starts... If I remember correctly, Calgary had a big snow storm around Sept 10 this year (which was still technically summer). I guess that's one of the reasons the CFL wraps up by end of Novemberl

• Like 2

Thanks for starting this topic... I'm sure I'll be in here from time to time venting my frustrations as another Canadian winter rears its ugly head. To anyone who has upcoming travel plans over the winter season, be safe!

I got the extra room ready for ya if you need a break and plenty of golf to choose from.... :codger:
  • Like 2

Rush Canuck, what kind of heat do you have in the winter?

It varies... we have the Great Lakes effect, sometimes moderating, but if the weather shifts to the Arctic, it can become bitterly cold.. January and February are the worst.. What I can't stand is the snow, freezing rain, and the darkness...

• Like 1

Thanks for starting this topic... I'm sure I'll be in here from time to time venting my frustrations as another Canadian winter rears its ugly head. To anyone who has upcoming travel plans over the winter season, be safe!

I got the extra room ready for ya if you need a break and plenty of golf to choose from.... :codger:

you are such a sweetheart, my friend. :hug2: :hi: :heart:

• Like 1

you are such a sweetheart, my friend. :hug2: :hi: :heart:

Gotta take care of my slightly older sister.... :D :rose:
  • Like 1

Oddly, southern Manitoba, which contains the world's coldest city (with a population over 500,000) has yet to see any snow stay on the ground. We have had one scare with snow that melted when it touched the ground, and another day with frost everywhere, but it has been nice and relatively warm. Here is hoping that continues.
  • Like 1

Oddly, southern Manitoba, which contains the world's coldest city (with a population over 500,000) has yet to see any snow stay on the ground. We have had one scare with snow that melted when it touched the ground, and another day with frost everywhere, but it has been nice and relatively warm. Here is hoping that continues.

I was on a tour of Banff once and the tour guide was from Winnipeg. He said Winterpeg has 2 seasons - winter and July... ;) I wish you a tolerable winter, fellow Canuck! :hi:

I was on a tour of Banff once and the tour guide was from Winnipeg. He said Winterpeg has 2 seasons - winter and July... ;) I wish you a tolerable winter, fellow Canuck! :hi:

It's not really that bad, its more like we have the following seasons. Winter(January-March), The Spring Teaser Campaign(March), Winter (Again, up to April), Spring (May), Summer (June-August), What, Winter Already (one week in september), Fall (Sept-Oct), Somehow it's summer again (one week in October), Winter onward from there.
  • Like 1

It varies... we have the Great Lakes effect, sometimes moderating, but if the weather shifts to the Arctic, it can become bitterly cold.. January and February are the worst.. What I can't stand is the snow, freezing rain, and the darkness...

London, ON, is strange. You guys get terrible snow. Someone told me they always get more snow than Toronto.
  • Like 2

London, ON, is strange. You guys get terrible snow. Someone told me they always get more snow than Toronto.

Yes, we get more than Toronto. :( One of the reasons is we are southeast of Lake Huron. When the Arctic wind blows in the right direction, it picks up moisture off of the Lake and will dump a nice load on us. I think Buffalo also enjoys 'lake effect'. I just mounted my snow tires in anticipation of the upcoming winter driving challenges.

Really hope I can avoid most of the frozen hell the Midwest dishes out every year before I fly out for England in January. In my past experiences it doesn't turn into an Arctic wasteland in southern Iowa till around mid-late January, but I'll still keep my fingers crossed.

From what I hear the weather in England isn't as bipolar. Probably thank the ocean for that.

Winter is a welcome change from summer...

…until it's only mid-January and you're wishing it were summer again.

Never. Our summers actually aren't as bad as some, but they're still not even close to my ideal weather. The only downside to winter is my Seasonal Affective Disorder and it hasn't been as bad in recent years...

• Like 1

I read in the paper on Sunday that as there are those who suffer in the winter due to some kind of seasonal disorder, those that love winter suffer the same in the summer. It mentioned those who cringe when they hear "Folks, today there will be sunshine and 90 degrees!" That's me. I hate the summer and love the winter. :)
  • Like 1