Winter 2014-2015

Aikenrooster

Here. I found the article and will type out parts of it:

Many people get the blues as winter sets in. But a small minority of people actually cheer up during winter.

People with summer "seasonal affective disorder," about 0.7% of the population, become depressed between May and September and experience agitation, insomnia, decreased appetite and weight loss, says Norman Rosenthal, a professor of psychiatry at Georgetown University Medical School and co-author of a widely cited 1989 study on seasonal mood changes.

Here. I found the article and will type out parts of it:

Many people get the blues as winter sets in. But a small minority of people actually cheer up during winter.

People with summer "seasonal affective disorder," about 0.7% of the population, become depressed between May and September and experience agitation, insomnia, decreased appetite and weight loss, says Norman Rosenthal, a professor of psychiatry at Georgetown University Medical School and co-author of a widely cited 1989 study on seasonal mood changes.

Well, that's not me. I actually have winter seasonal affective disorder, but the benefits, for me, outweigh the depression as far as weather goes.

I wonder if it works the same way for people who don't really care for sunshine too much, but love clouds, rain, snow, storms. That's me.

This is me: my perfect day is 55-60 degrees and cloudy. Rain is welcome, as long as it's not too oppressive.

The wind blew from the north and the temperature was near freezing today. As the wind crossed Lake Huron, it picked up moisture. When it hit land, it came down as snow with white out conditions over a narrow stretch of a major highway to the west of London. There were many car accidents and a tractor trailer did not fare well either. The police scolded the drivers because people did not adjust their driving to match the treacherous conditions. It's that time of the year again when stories like this will be common in this neck of the woods. :sigh:

The wind blew from the north and the temperature was near freezing today. As the wind crossed Lake Huron, it picked up moisture. When it hit land, it came down as snow with white out conditions over a narrow stretch of a major highway to the west of London. There were many car accidents and a tractor trailer did not fare well either. The police scolded the drivers because people did not adjust their driving to match the treacherous conditions. It's that time of the year again when stories like this will be common in this neck of the woods. :sigh:

70 degrees and sunny today.... :ph34r: :)
  • Like 1

8-12" possible Sun through Tue here in Minnesota.

Yay, drivers who haven't driven in snow in seven months on a Monday morning commute...

Yay, drivers who haven't driven in snow in seven months on a Monday morning commute...

They drive at a snail's pace, right?

To paraphrase one of Rush's worst efforts...

Half the drivers drive too slow

While the other half drive too fast...

I guess it's a good thing at least that they don't drive at The Speed of Love...

(groans)

• Like 1

They drive at a snail's pace, right?

To paraphrase one of Rush's worst efforts...

Half the drivers drive too slow

While the other half drive too fast...

I guess it's a good thing at least that they don't drive at The Speed of Love...

(groans)

I hate the way most drive in the snow, and I especially hate the inexperienced drivers who think they can drive on ice covered roads the same way they can when there is no ice. Somehow they think that having four wheel drive and studded snows will save them.

Edited by Lorraine

Believe it or not I saw the weather forecast a couple hours ago and you were the first person I thought of. Not sure what that means but retiring somewhere in the Carolinas must look pretty good right about now.... :LOL:
  • Like 1

Believe it or not I saw the weather forecast a couple hours ago and you were the first person I thought of. Not sure what that means but retiring somewhere in the Carolinas must look pretty good right about now.... :LOL:

We'll probably retire somewhere around Ocean Isle Beach. We have family there. Sure as hell not staying here.

• Like 1

We'll probably retire somewhere around Ocean Isle Beach. We have family there. Sure as hell not staying here.

Ocean Isle Beach is a nice area. Spent many a day and evening/night up there fixing air conditioners and heat too for that matter....

Ocean Isle Beach is a nice area. Spent many a day and evening/night up there fixing air conditioners and heat too for that matter....

We honeymooned there. My wife is a Carolina girl and spent a lot of time there in her teens and 20s. Beautiful place and still relatively uncrowded.

We honeymooned there. My wife is a Carolina girl and spent a lot of time there in her teens and 20s. Beautiful place and still relatively uncrowded.

Yes it is....... :)

• Like 1

Update from Brandon Manitoba, still no snow as we approach mid-November and loving it. We have been reaching negatives every evening now, but yesterday we were supposed to get snow, but a sudden wind change diverted it, and now no more precipitation is called for a least another week. WOOHOO!
  • Like 1

The freezing cold temps arrive tonight. Wouldn't be so bad, but they will be accompanied by high northeast winds.

Maybe this will be it for the winter. That sometimes happens out here.

where is here?

Pacific Northwest. Our cold weather always comes down from Canada.

Our weather-prediction people are assholes. I don't think a single snowflake fell while I was going to or coming from work. It's ridiculous how inaccurate the forecasts of apocalypse were.

• Like 2

Incredibly beautiful day today. Balmy and sunny. It was at least 75 I would guess. Its all about to change apparently tomorrow. Highs in the 50's and lows around 40 for a while at least.... :eh: Edited by Narpski