Jump to content


Rank Signals


  • Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#41 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 60826 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Ted Nugent

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:54 PM

View Postjnoble, on 07 February 2018 - 05:21 PM, said:

Some good songs marred by dreary production making the whole thing sound like it takes place in a thick fog
The brightness of GUP was a welcome recovery,  IMO.

Sponsored Post

#42 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

    Loves that dirty water

  • Members *
  • 24878 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New England

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:11 PM

This was their last truly great album until Clockwork Angels.

#43 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 35260 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    Machine Head
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge
    Mekong Delta

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:41 AM

View PostRick N. Backer, on 07 February 2018 - 09:11 PM, said:

This was their last truly great album until Clockwork Angels.

Nope.

Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire, Roll The Bones, Vapor Trails and Snakes And Arrows are all much better than Signals or Clockwork Angels.

#44 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 60826 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Ted Nugent

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:30 AM

View PostSegue Myles, on 08 February 2018 - 06:41 AM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 07 February 2018 - 09:11 PM, said:

This was their last truly great album until Clockwork Angels.

Nope.

Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire, Roll The Bones, Vapor Trails and Snakes And Arrows are all much better than Signals or Clockwork Angels.
And Presto.

:dweez:

#45 lifeson90

lifeson90

    Superconductor

  • Members
  • 1282 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:47 AM

All 10 for me with possible exception of Losing It which maybe just a 9.5

Album one of a good handful that could be their best

Thank god for Andy Summers

#46 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 35260 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    Machine Head
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge
    Mekong Delta

Posted 08 February 2018 - 05:11 PM

View Postgoose, on 08 February 2018 - 09:30 AM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 08 February 2018 - 06:41 AM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 07 February 2018 - 09:11 PM, said:

This was their last truly great album until Clockwork Angels.

Nope.

Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire, Roll The Bones, Vapor Trails and Snakes And Arrows are all much better than Signals or Clockwork Angels.
And Presto.

:dweez:

And Counterparts!

Actually Test For Echo and Power Windows...basically every album released between Signals and Clockwork Angels lmao

#47 lerxt1990

lerxt1990

    Minister of Silly Walks

  • Members *
  • 62555 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 08 February 2018 - 08:01 PM

Favorite:
Subdivisions

Top:
The Analog Kid
Digital Man
The Weapon

Mid:
Chemistry
New World Man
Countdown

Bottom:
Losing It

#48 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

    Loves that dirty water

  • Members *
  • 24878 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New England

Posted 09 February 2018 - 09:56 PM

View PostSegue Myles, on 08 February 2018 - 06:41 AM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 07 February 2018 - 09:11 PM, said:

This was their last truly great album until Clockwork Angels.

Nope.

Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire, Roll The Bones, Vapor Trails and Snakes And Arrows are all much better than Signals or Clockwork Angels.

Nope.  None of those albums are.  Several of them aren’t particularly good for that matter.

#49 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32179 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:41 PM

View PostRick N. Backer, on 09 February 2018 - 09:56 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 08 February 2018 - 06:41 AM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 07 February 2018 - 09:11 PM, said:

This was their last truly great album until Clockwork Angels.

Nope.

Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire, Roll The Bones, Vapor Trails and Snakes And Arrows are all much better than Signals or Clockwork Angels.

Nope.  None of those albums are.  Several of them aren’t particularly good for that matter.

With those I’d rank like this:

Signals
Grace

HYF
CA
VT


Bones







Snakes

#50 thirteen

thirteen

    Prime Mover

  • Members
  • 975 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:Guitar.
    AC/DC, Rush, Seasick Steve, SRV, Rainbow/Deep Purple.

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:11 PM

A steaming pile of synth-shite.

Signed,
Alex Lifeson's guitar.

#51 ReRushed

ReRushed

    My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

  • Members
  • 19290 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New York, NY

Posted 09 February 2018 - 11:43 PM

Subdivisions
The Analog Kid
The Weapon
Digital Man
Losing It
New World Man
Chemistry
Countdown

#52 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

    Loves that dirty water

  • Members *
  • 24878 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New England

Posted 10 February 2018 - 05:46 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 09 February 2018 - 10:41 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 09 February 2018 - 09:56 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 08 February 2018 - 06:41 AM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 07 February 2018 - 09:11 PM, said:

This was their last truly great album until Clockwork Angels.

Nope.

Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire, Roll The Bones, Vapor Trails and Snakes And Arrows are all much better than Signals or Clockwork Angels.

Nope.  None of those albums are.  Several of them aren’t particularly good for that matter.

With those I’d rank like this:

Signals
Grace

HYF
CA
VT


Bones







Snakes

I’d go:

Signals
CA
GUP
Snakes
VT
CP
RTB
T4E
PoW
Presto

































HYF (but it makes an OK coaster)

#53 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32179 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:51 AM

View PostRick N. Backer, on 10 February 2018 - 05:46 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 09 February 2018 - 10:41 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 09 February 2018 - 09:56 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 08 February 2018 - 06:41 AM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 07 February 2018 - 09:11 PM, said:

This was their last truly great album until Clockwork Angels.

Nope.

Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire, Roll The Bones, Vapor Trails and Snakes And Arrows are all much better than Signals or Clockwork Angels.

Nope.  None of those albums are.  Several of them aren’t particularly good for that matter.

With those I’d rank like this:

Signals
Grace

HYF
CA
VT


Bones







Snakes

I’d go:

Signals
CA
GUP
Snakes
VT
CP
RTB
T4E
PoW
Presto

































HYF (but it makes an OK coaster)

There’s nothing on HYF that I dislike but there are a few on CA that I do. But where CA is good, it’s really good.

There are plenty of tunes that I dislike on Bones and Snake.

#54 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

    Loves that dirty water

  • Members *
  • 24878 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New England

Posted 10 February 2018 - 09:33 AM

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 10 February 2018 - 08:51 AM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 10 February 2018 - 05:46 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 09 February 2018 - 10:41 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 09 February 2018 - 09:56 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 08 February 2018 - 06:41 AM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 07 February 2018 - 09:11 PM, said:

This was their last truly great album until Clockwork Angels.

Nope.

Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire, Roll The Bones, Vapor Trails and Snakes And Arrows are all much better than Signals or Clockwork Angels.

Nope.  None of those albums are.  Several of them aren’t particularly good for that matter.

With those I’d rank like this:

Signals
Grace

HYF
CA
VT


Bones







Snakes

I’d go:

Signals
CA
GUP
Snakes
VT
CP
RTB
T4E
PoW
Presto

































HYF (but it makes an OK coaster)

There’s nothing on HYF that I dislike but there are a few on CA that I do. But where CA is good, it’s really good.

There are plenty of tunes that I dislike on Bones and Snake.

The whole stretch of, really, PoW - T4E is filled with mediocre or worse songs.  But HYF is the album that pushed me away for a very long time.

#55 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

    The Ghost Rider

  • Members *
  • 32179 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:40 AM

View PostRick N. Backer, on 10 February 2018 - 09:33 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 10 February 2018 - 08:51 AM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 10 February 2018 - 05:46 AM, said:

View PostJohnnyBlaze, on 09 February 2018 - 10:41 PM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 09 February 2018 - 09:56 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 08 February 2018 - 06:41 AM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 07 February 2018 - 09:11 PM, said:

This was their last truly great album until Clockwork Angels.

Nope.

Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire, Roll The Bones, Vapor Trails and Snakes And Arrows are all much better than Signals or Clockwork Angels.

Nope.  None of those albums are.  Several of them aren’t particularly good for that matter.

With those I’d rank like this:

Signals
Grace

HYF
CA
VT


Bones







Snakes

I’d go:

Signals
CA
GUP
Snakes
VT
CP
RTB
T4E
PoW
Presto

































HYF (but it makes an OK coaster)

There’s nothing on HYF that I dislike but there are a few on CA that I do. But where CA is good, it’s really good.

There are plenty of tunes that I dislike on Bones and Snake.

The whole stretch of, really, PoW - T4E is filled with mediocre or worse songs.  But HYF is the album that pushed me away for a very long time.

For me, there are a lot of mediocre or very bad songs between Bones to T4E. T4E though doesn’t have anything I dislike...it’s just that I don’t care about most of those songs. Sooooo, T4E is third from the bottom for me.

And having just listened to HYF this evening, I think I would actually put it over CA.
CA is a mix of good, bad, and I don’t care about.

Ah well, even Rush can’t win over all of their hardcore fans with all of their albums.


Made this poll as a result of this thread:

http://www.therushfo...ockwork-angels/

Edited by JohnnyBlaze, 10 February 2018 - 11:20 AM.


#56 Segue Myles

Segue Myles

    Cupcake Warrior

  • Members
  • 35260 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Interests:Lacuna Coil
    Paradise Lost
    Nightwish
    HIM
    The Gathering
    Within Temptation
    The Juliana Theory
    Machine Head
    Trivium
    Sonata Arctica
    Jimmy Eat World
    Alter Bridge
    Mekong Delta

Posted 10 February 2018 - 10:51 AM

View PostRick N. Backer, on 09 February 2018 - 09:56 PM, said:

View PostSegue Myles, on 08 February 2018 - 06:41 AM, said:

View PostRick N. Backer, on 07 February 2018 - 09:11 PM, said:

This was their last truly great album until Clockwork Angels.

Nope.

Grace Under Pressure, Hold Your Fire, Roll The Bones, Vapor Trails and Snakes And Arrows are all much better than Signals or Clockwork Angels.

Nope.  None of those albums are.  Several of them aren’t particularly good for that matter.

Glad you shared a differing perspective.

#57 bluefox4000

bluefox4000

    I never talk to strangers

  • Members
  • 17762 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Interests:Music, Reading, Talking

Posted 10 February 2018 - 11:29 AM

1. Losing it.
2. Analog Kid
3.The Weapon
4. Subdivisions
5. Digital Man
6. Chemistry
7. New World Man
8. Countdown

Mick

#58 goose

goose

    Honkin' in Nevada

  • Members *
  • 60826 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sierra Nevada foothills, East Slope
  • Interests:Ted Nugent

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:24 PM

View Postthirteen, on 09 February 2018 - 11:11 PM, said:

A steaming pile of synth-shite.

Signed,
Alex Lifeson's guitar.
I hear more up-front guitar on Grace than Signals.

#59 JohnRogers

JohnRogers

    Holy Tai Shan!!!

  • Members *
  • 28361 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New Seoul, NJ
  • Interests:American Muscle/Sports cars, Movies, New York City Subway, Cigar Lounges

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:50 PM

View Postthirteen, on 09 February 2018 - 11:11 PM, said:

A steaming pile of synth-shite.

Signed,
Alex Lifeson's guitar.
I question your fandom, your humanity. Are you even cable of love? Have you even ever experienced an emotion? Jumping Jehoshaphat, I’m so done with you! I’m logging off.

#60 Rick N. Backer

Rick N. Backer

    Loves that dirty water

  • Members *
  • 24878 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New England

Posted 10 February 2018 - 01:54 PM

View Postgoose, on 10 February 2018 - 12:24 PM, said:

View Postthirteen, on 09 February 2018 - 11:11 PM, said:

A steaming pile of synth-shite.

Signed,
Alex Lifeson's guitar.
I hear more up-front guitar on Grace than Signals.

But more in the style of The Edge or Andy Summers.  Not a bad thing, per se, but different from what people were used to.  GUP has no “rippers” like The Analog Kid or Digital Man.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users