Terminator reboot

Rushman14

maybe they'll get it right this time. Plus it stars the Khaleesi

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2014/10/28/EMILIA-JAI-EW-1336.jpg

The Terminator is having a bad day. It’s a muggy July afternoon in New Orleans—the temperature is loitering in the triple digits—and Arnold Schwarzenegger is inside a giant warehouse on the grounds of NASA’s Michoud Assembly Facility. Suited up in a black leather jacket with green-painted latex obscuring most of the right side of his face, he is again playing the indelible robot that solidified his place in Hollywood some 30 years ago. So far today the former governor of California has been stepped on and forced to crawl on the ground, and now, as he gasps for breath fighting his opponent, he’s about to get transported to a different time—which, if you know anything about Terminator mythology, is a very bad thing. Especially if your metal endoskeleton is showing.

The beginning of Terminator: Genisys, the first of three planned films that Paramount hopes will relaunch the beloved sci-fi franchise, is set in 2029, when the Future War is raging and a group of human rebels has the evil artificial-intelligence system Skynet on the ropes. John Connor (Dawn of the Planet of the Apes’ Jason Clarke) is the leader of the resistance, and Kyle Reese (Divergent‘s Jai Courtney) is his loyal soldier, raised in the ruins of post apocalyptic California. As in the original film, Connor sends Reese back to 1984 to save Connor’s mother, Sarah (Game of Thrones‘ Emilia Clarke), from a Terminator programmed to kill her so that she won’t ever give birth to John. But what Reese finds on the other side is nothing like he expected.

In this week’s issue of Entertainment Weekly, we offer an exclusive first look at the reinvention of a $1.4 billion franchise, including two exclusive covers of the new cast, and explore the filmmakers’ time-twisty plan to reconnect fans to what made those first two movies so cool, while tweaking audience expectations. “It’s like going on tour again if you’re Pink Floyd—the audience always wants to hear some of the old songs,” says Matt Smith, the former Doctor Who star who plays a close ally of John Connor. “There are enough nods to the past that people will feel satisfied.”

James Cameron’s Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day not only set the bar for what could be achieved in genre film-making, but those two movies introduced audiences to a strong female protagonist, a gut-wrenching love story, and one awesome villain/hero, all set against the backdrop of nuclear war. If history has taught us anything, it’s that it can be perilous to mess with Cameron’s precise formula. (Terminator: Salvation anyone?) But a new group of filmmakers, led by producers David Ellison and Dana Goldberg and director Alan Taylor (Thor: The Dark World), seem determined to sidestep the mistakes of the past with Genisys, set for release in July 2015.

Their recipe calls for one part Teutonic monotone with Arnold Schwarzenegger back in a big way, and four parts exciting new cast with geek bonafides that are sure to appease the Comic-Con masses, plus ground-breaking special effects and a few shocking twists on the canon.

Twist No. 1? Sarah Connor isn’t the innocent she was when Linda Hamilton first sported feathered hair and acid-washed jeans in the role. Nor is she Hamilton’s steely zero body-fat warrior in 1991’s T2. Rather, the mother of humanity’s messiah was orphaned by a Terminator at age 9. Since then, she’s been raised by (brace yourself) Schwarzenegger’s Terminator—an older T-800 she calls “Pops”—who is programmed to guard rather than to kill. As a result, Sarah is a highly trained antisocial recluse who’s great with a sniper rifle but not so skilled at the nuances of human emotion.

“Since she was 9 years old, she has been told everything that was supposed to happen,” says Ellison. “But Sarah fundamentally rejects that destiny. She says, ‘That’s not what I want to do.’ It’s her decision that drives the story in a very different direction.”

Edited by Rushman14

Why do they always have to reboot "beloved" film series? Money, yes that's good for the studio money men but to me it's just selling people something they've already got that still works perfectly fine. No matter who plays the role in this reboot Arnie is The Terminator, and that's all there is to it.
  • Like 3

Why do they always have to reboot "beloved" film series? Money, yes that's good for the studio money men but to me it's just selling people something they've already got that still works perfectly fine. No matter who plays the role in this reboot Arnie is The Terminator, and that's all there is to it.

But Arnie does play a terminator. Read.

There was nothing wrong with the first two films. They were brilliant.

Yes they were. I was referring to salvation

Salvation was downright silly. The 3rd film was meaningless to me. I saw it as a venue for showing off a new type of Terminator - nothing more.

Once Linda Hamilton was removed from the series, it all became meaningless to me. Her portrayal of Sarah Connor - in both films - was magnificent. :ebert:

• Like 2

:goodone:

• Like 1

I had read that AHNULD was working on Terminator 5, not some reboot shit.

Say it ain't so!!!

P.S: Though T2 is the best, I like T1's story a lot more. Only some of the dated effects hold it back today. Michael Beihn (sp?) gives a standout performance IMO.

I had read that AHNULD was working on Terminator 5, not some reboot shit.

Say it ain't so!!!

P.S: Though T2 is the best, I like T1's story a lot more. Only some of the dated effects hold it back today. Michael Beihn (sp?) gives a standout performance IMO.

Maybe it's not a reboot per-say. The story sounds like some of the time traveling events of the first couple of films changed history. I'm holding out hope that this might not suck.

John Connor is the leader of the resistance, and Kyle Reese is his loyal soldier, raised in the ruins of postapocalyptic California. As in the original film, Connor sends Reese back to 1984 to save ­Connor’s mother, Sarah, from a Terminator programmed to kill her so she won’t ever give birth to John. But what Reese finds on the other side is nothing like what he expected.

Twist No. 1? Sarah Connor isn’t the innocent she was when Linda Hamilton first sported feathered hair and acid-washed jeans in the role. Nor is she Hamilton’s steely zero-body-fat warrior in 1991’s Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Instead, the mother of humanity’s messiah was orphaned by a Terminator at age 9. Since then, she’s been raised by (brace yourself) Schwarz­enegger’s Terminator—an older T-800 she calls “Pops”—who is programmed to guard rather than to kill. As a result, Sarah is a highly trained antisocial recluse who’s great with a sniper rifle but not so skilled at the nuances of human emotion.

“Since she was 9 years old, she has been told everything that was supposed to happen,” says Ellison, who credits James Cameron’s T2 as one of the ­reasons he chose to spend his career making movies. “But Sarah fundamentally rejects that destiny. She says, ‘That’s not what I want to do.’ It’s her decision that drives the story in a very different direction.”

I was worried about Ah-nuld playing an aging Terminator but apparently Cameron gave them the idea to age him. Since a Terminator's skin is living tissue it ages normally. As mentioned in the article, Arnold's character in this movie has been protecting Sarah Connor since she was a girl.

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/i/2012/10/29/Guardian_612x381.jpg

Edited by Rushman14

For those who know Nothing about Terminator- Or have forgotten- Here is a refresher-

In the mysterious and distant future--1997, to be exact--Skynet, a highly-advanced artificial intelligence, is introduced to the world. Humans decide to hand over all military control to this system because in the Terminator universe the people have not seen The Terminator.

Decades later, the humans are at war with the robots and a brave warrior named John Connor takes charge and turns the tide. The machines strike back by sending the Governor of California back to the 80s to kill Connor's mom before he's born. The humans send Michael Biehn back to protect her.

Along the way, he makes it part of his mission to protect her vagina from not having his penis in it. And that, readers, is where everything in the space-time continuum gets very "iffy."

As it turns out, when Michael Biehn and Linda Hamilton sleep together, they conceive John Connor. And, as we learn in Terminator 2: Judgment Day, when the Terminator is destroyed in the first film, the microchip in its skull survives, falls into the hands of computer company Cyberdyne Systems, and allows for the creation of Skynet in the first place.

Therefore, the only reason either John Connor or the machines exist is because the Terminator went back in time, and the only reason the Terminator went back in time is because the machines and John Connor exist. Get it?

:beathorse: :tongue: :rantoff:

• Like 1

Terminator 2 was, and still is, absolutely incredible. It's my other favorite movie besides Westworld. They're the two I watch the most.

Love T2 but I think I still prefer the original

I liked T2 better than the first movie. I also liked salvation a lot. Rise of the Machines was a disappointment and the worst of the franchise but it did have a nice looking terminator in it. I think what I hated most about "Rise" was the way they portrayed John Connor as a wimpy looser.

But remember that it was the original low-budget sleeper hit that started the whole thing. It was actually a pretty good movie for what it was.

I don't think this is a reboot but the sequel that completes the loop. They've already shown that you can change future events so this movie will be different than the original because the timeline is different. But Reese still has to go back and impregate Sarah or John will cease to exsit. You know the terminators could have saved a bunch of time if they had focused their efforts in killling Kyle Reese instead of time traveling to go after Sarah. I guess they sort of did that in Salvation.

• Like 1

But Reese still has to go back and impregate Sarah or John will cease to exsit.

And if Reese ends up getting killed first he's brought a turkey baster and some scented candles along this time for Plan B.

I liked T2 better than the first movie. I also liked salvation a lot. Rise of the Machines was a disappointment and the worst of the franchise but it did have a nice looking terminator in it. I think what I hated most about "Rise" was the way they portrayed John Connor as a wimpy looser.

But remember that it was the original low-budget sleeper hit that started the whole thing. It was actually a pretty good movie for what it was.

Whoa someone else that likes salvation. I thought there was something wrong with me.

Whoa someone else that likes salvation. I thought there was something wrong with me.

I really liked Christian Bale as John Connor and I liked the war with the machines as opposed to a lone terminator looking to kill John or Sarah Connor. I thought the first three movies basically had the same plot so it was nice to have something new. When I saw the first Terminator, I thought that a sequel dealing with the future war with the machines would be cool so I was excited to see it in Salvation.

I've also been waiting for a movie to complete the loop and send Reece back in time.