Endless River - Pink Floyd Album

BigBob

Is this REALLY Pink Floyd, or the latest cash grab?

How can it be a cash grab when bands rarely make money off of releasing studio albums anymore? Touring is where the money is, and Pink Floyd is not gonna be doing that.

I think this is a touching tribute to Richard Wright, and it's sad that some are getting so hung up on the "Roger Waters wasn't on it, boo freaking hoo" thing that they can't see it for what it really is.

• Like 5

The album definitely has some great moments, but most of it isn't that interesting. I'm honestly much more excited for Gilmour's new solo album next year.

I would be more excited for David's solo album, except..... On an Island

:boo hiss:

Listened to it four times so far.

It sounds like recycled, excess material from Animals and Wish You Were Here. Not crap but nothing exciting, either. Too many booooooring-fake-artsy moments for my taste.

I have the Deluxe Edition. The best tune is "Nervana" (great guitars). Ironically it doesn't sound like Floyd at all. :D "Allons" is another very good tune... that's full of The Wall elements.

My rating: **1/2 stars.

Edited by Detonator

I'm enjoying it for what it is. It's got unmistakable Floyd sound, with lots of Gilmour guitar and Rick's keyboards. It's definitely not something I listen to when I want to listen to an album like Animals, Counterparts, Grace Under Pressure, Houses Of The Holy, etc. but I'm finding that this album is PERFECT for doing homework.

As far as the sound goes it's like they took all the best parts of Division Bell (which I like!) and put it together. I'm really enjoying Side 2, especially on Sum/Skins where Nick, possibly one of the most unsung heroes in percussion, is showing his skills.

I'm also excited for Gilmour's new solo album. I never listen to the studio album On An Island but I listen to Live in Gdansk a lot, great concert and probably my favorite version of Echoes.

There have been many,many reviews for the "new" album on various websites today,and its really 50/50 on the positive/negative reviews!For myself it's a beautiful,emotive album,and a fitting tribute to the late Richard Wright.Gilmour,Wright and Mason should be proud of these recordings,and I'm pleased they have made them available.To think they lay in the vaults for 20 yrs is un unthinkable!

Nice background music, relaxing head space type stuff. Nothing groundbreaking at all.

It's spacey Floyd. Nothing more, nothing less. It's nice to release this 20 years ager the fact as a tribute to Rick.

I had no expectations.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

Their lowest rated album on RateYourMusic by a significant margin.

It's shit? Who would have guessed?

It is a very well produced demo.

Again...totally a background type of disc. Anyone buying this hoping for Pink Floyd will be really disappointed. Spark up some kind and pop on the 5.1 blue ray mix and relax....it serves that purpose quite well...but that is about it. It is not about song structure or melodys to sing with. It is pure head space suedo new age music.

• Like 3

Had my first listen to it. I'm kind of agreeing with what people are saying.

The guitar work is great! So is the keyboards and drums. Really has that Pink Floyd sound.

But, it sounds like its missing something. Vocals? Direction? Structure? Waters? I don't know, but it does sound incomplete. I think it's great music to write code too, but I won't be rocking to this rolling down the highway. Maybe it'll grow on me, but it hasn't blown me away, like most their albums do.

It's wonderfully produced but nothing more then background ambiance. And Gilmour'a got a new album coming out? he dropped off my radar after On an Ambien.......er.......Island.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Had my first listen to it. I'm kind of agreeing with what people are saying.

The guitar work is great! So is the keyboards and drums. Really has that Pink Floyd sound.

But, it sounds like its missing something. Vocals? Direction? Structure? Waters? I don't know, but it does sound incomplete. I think it's great music to write code too, but I won't be rocking to this rolling down the highway. Maybe it'll grow on me, but it hasn't blown me away, like most their albums do.

Yes!

It made me kinda sad that this is really it for Floyd........and they sort of went out on an instrumental whimper. Now i sorta wish this didn't exist so they still went out on the Division Bell cause that my friends.......was fantastic stuff.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Well, I guess I like it for what it is - background music. I listened on a drive the other day, and it was pleasant enough.

However, I also agree with Mike Portnoy, this would have been more fitting as a "bonus disc" with a Division Bell re-issue. I guess the hype that they created by releasing a "new album" made them more money than a re-issue would have.

I'm listening to it now. I'm only a minute into the first song and I'm not sure what to expect.

Is this REALLY Pink Floyd, or the latest cash grab?

How can it be a cash grab when bands rarely make money off of releasing studio albums anymore? Touring is where the money is, and Pink Floyd is not gonna be doing that.

I think this is a touching tribute to Richard Wright, and it's sad that some are getting so hung up on the "Roger Waters wasn't on it, boo freaking hoo" thing that they can't see it for what it really is.

Yeah, a steaming pile of self-indulgent turdery.

If you think Pink Floyd can't make money off the back of album sales then you really need to back away from comment.

• Like 1

Just a thought, would this album not have been better off as a bonus disc?

Just sounds a little...pointless to my ears.

• Like 3