Please stop with the pumpkin spice

Mara

OMG! I passed an independent pizza joint today in Grand Rapids, MI. Here is what it said:

"Pumpkin Spice Pizza is here!

Just Kidding."

Man, I almost wrecked.

:LOL:

I would try it! :D

I would too. That sounds good. Especially if it had brown sugar cinnamon on top.

• Like 1

OMG! I passed an independent pizza joint today in Grand Rapids, MI. Here is what it said:

Just Kidding."

Man, I almost wrecked.

I would too. That sounds good. Especially if it had brown sugar cinnamon on top.

Yeah,

Last year I remember thinking about what a Thanksgiving type of pizza would taste like. :D

• Like 1

Just Kidding."

Man, I almost wrecked.

Yeah,

Last year I remember thinking about what a Thanksgiving type of pizza would taste like. :D

I'd rather have pizza than turkey for Thanksgiving. Seriously - I like turkey just fine but it's not anything I ever find myself craving. To be honest - I prefer a good roast chicken. And I absolutely loathe stuffing and its Southern counterpart - cornbread dressing. Blech, wet bread.

Now mashed potatoes? Bring 'em! In fact, I'll take all the mashed Yukon Golds and everyone else can have the nasty-ass sweet potato casserole with marshmallow topping. And I do like cranberry sauce but only the "real" kind, with actual cranberries and no hint of gelatin anywhere. Oh, and the broccoli casserole is mine, all mine.

• Like 2

Just Kidding."

Man, I almost wrecked.

Yeah,

I'd rather have pizza than turkey for Thanksgiving. Seriously - I like turkey just fine but it's not anything I ever find myself craving. To be honest - I prefer a good roast chicken. And I absolutely loathe stuffing and its Southern counterpart - cornbread dressing. Blech, wet bread.

Now mashed potatoes? Bring 'em! In fact, I'll take all the mashed Yukon Golds and everyone else can have the nasty-ass sweet potato casserole with marshmallow topping. And I do like cranberry sauce but only the "real" kind, with actual cranberries and no hint of gelatin anywhere. Oh, and the broccoli casserole is mine, all mine.

No chicken for me,

That crap is around here all the time! I only eat a little bit of the stuffing and yams. I love mashed potatoes also. Then when it's all said and done. It's Pumpkin Pie Time. :D

Just Kidding."

Man, I almost wrecked.

Yeah,

Mara, have you ever had a turkey that has been smoked overnight? And no, you don't stuff it, when you smoke it. Stuffing the turkey causes people to overcook the breast, because heat can't get inside the cavity. If you smoke it properly, the breast meat will be @ 160 degrees and the leg meat at 175 or 180, which are proper temperatures.

Just Kidding."

Man, I almost wrecked.

Yeah,

Mara, have you ever had a turkey that has been smoked overnight? And no, you don't stuff it, when you smoke it. Stuffing the turkey causes people to overcook the breast, because heat can't get inside the cavity. If you smoke it properly, the breast meat will be @ 160 degrees and the leg meat at 175 or 180, which are proper temperatures.

I have had smoked turkey, as well as deep fried. Both are good. I LIKE turkey - I just don't love it. I much prefer dark meat - let the calorie counters/fat gram monitors fight amongst themselves over the breast meat.

Every time I am asked to bring dessert, I make a Bastille Day cake, so named because it is lemony cake. :syrinx: :D Seriously - it does get rave reviews. It's a 6 layer (actually 3 9" cakes cut in half horizontally) lemon cake, with lemon curd filling and lemon buttercream frosting. Not a hint of anything pumpkin there.

• Like 1

I'd rather have pizza than turkey for Thanksgiving. Seriously - I like turkey just fine but it's not anything I ever find myself craving.

Yeah, seldom do I find myself sitting around yearning for turkey. Though to me it's part of what makes the Thanksgiving deal distinct—the centerpiece of the main meal being something that isn't often eaten or craved (yet is still decent enough).

Oh, and the broccoli casserole is mine, all mine.

You can have it! Surely you don't have to compete with many people to reach that dish? :P

I'd rather have pizza than turkey for Thanksgiving. Seriously - I like turkey just fine but it's not anything I ever find myself craving.

Yeah, seldom do I find myself sitting around yearning for turkey. Though to me it's part of what makes the Thanksgiving deal distinct—the centerpiece of the main meal being something that isn't often eaten or craved (yet is still decent enough).

You can have it! Surely you don't have to compete with many people to reach that dish? :P

The broccoli casserole (an ages-old recipe from when I was a kid) is one side dish that ALWAYS gets finished. Seriously - even my husband, who more or less loathes broccoli, loves it. It is, however, full of cheese and other yummy stuff that does a lot to mask the fact that its central ingredient is broccoli. It's also made with frozen broccoli which isn't as strong-tasting as the fresh stuff.

Hands-down the worst ever side dish I have ever encountered was served up by my sister-in-law one Christmas 10 years ago (also known as The Shittiest Christmas Ever and not just because of the food).

Imagine green beans. From a can. Now imagine them barely room temperature and drowned in bottled French dressing. Try not to barf on your laptop/tablet/phone.

Not kidding. Lights were dimmed for "ambience" and in the dark I mistook the French dressing for cheese. Smothering something in cheese usually means I can eat enough of whatever it is to at least be polite - even if it's something I don't really care for (see: cold limp green beans from a can). So I helped myself to some and it was all I could do to swallow that mouthful of horror.

My husband gives his sister a raft of shit every year about the green beans; turns out that concoction is a "holiday tradition" from their family. DH told her, "look, just because something's been around long enough to be called a "tradition" does not mean it ought to be continued. Some traditions need to die."

Edited by Mara

The broccoli casserole (an ages-old recipe from when I was a kid) is one side dish that ALWAYS gets finished. Seriously - even my husband, who more or less loathes broccoli, loves it. It is, however, full of cheese and other yummy stuff that does a lot to mask the fact that its central ingredient is broccoli. It's also made with frozen broccoli which isn't as strong-tasting as the fresh stuff.

Hands-down the worst ever side dish I have ever encountered was served up by my sister-in-law one Christmas 10 years ago (also known as The Shittiest Christmas Ever and not just because of the food).

Imagine green beans. From a can. Now imagine them barely room temperature and drowned in bottled French dressing. Try not to barf on your laptop/tablet/phone.

Not kidding. Lights were dimmed for "ambience" and in the dark I mistook the French dressing for cheese. Smothering something in cheese usually means I can eat enough of whatever it is to at least be polite - even if it's something I don't really care for (see: cold limp green beans from a can). So I helped myself to some and it was all I could do to swallow that mouthful of horror.

My husband gives his sister a raft of shit every year about the green beans; turns out that concoction is a "holiday tradition" from their family. DH told her, "look, just because something's been around long enough to be called a "tradition" does not mean it ought to be continued. Some traditions need to die."

"Mouthful of horror" seems an apt description for a bite of that calamitous dish. I usually find green beans a little more tolerable than most of their green-vegetable peers, but I can't imagine cold ones drenched in French dressing being anything but abominable.

Lights were dimmed for "ambience" and in the dark I mistook the French dressing for cheese. Smothering something in cheese usually means I can eat enough of whatever it is to at least be polite - even if it's something I don't really care for (see: cold limp green beans from a can). So I helped myself to some and it was all I could do to swallow that mouthful of horror.

Yeah, the results can be tragic when one kind of food is mistaken for another. My brother-in-law's little brother once somehow mistook a huge slab of butter for "white chocolate" and crammed the whole thing into his mouth. Foolish boy.

Edited by Cyclonus X-1