Please stop with the pumpkin spice

Mara

I've seen everything now - a recipe for "turkey-pumpkin spice chili", featuring hunks of pumpkin in with the now seemingly ubiquitous pumpkin spice. Putting cumin, chili powder and beans in a stew-like concoction does NOT make it chili. On the contrary - mingling pumpkin spices, sugar and hunks of pumpkin in with the chili just makes Something Very Nasty.

It's all the fault of Starbucks and their stupid Pumpkin Spice Lattes (which, by the way, hit the stores in AUGUST. Not fall). There is nothing "pumpkin" about that trendy white-girl hipster favorite; it's just allspice and a metric crapton of sugar blended with orange food coloring, milk, and a teeny bit of coffee.

I can't swing my arms without hitting the latest "pumpkin spice" trend. The "chili", which I wouldn't eat on a bet, is one of the few items that actually does have pumpkin in it; I suspect the reason is that pumpkin pretty much tastes like shit (it certainly looks like it). Take away the sugar and spice - grossness. Now, I do like pumpkin cakes and muffins and cookies - but you can put just about anything into pastry form and it will be at least moderately delicious.

Pumpkin pie is an abomination. (I really miss the barfing icon sometimes).

Pumpkin IS good as a dog treat, though.

Edited by Mara
  • Like 3

I do like most all squash - just not in my chili and definitely not marinated in sugar!

Baskin-Robbins used to have a wickedly delicious pumpkin pie ice cream every year; haven't seen it in a couple of decades. The ones currently on the market are way too sweet.

• Like 1

I put Cinnamon in my chili, any good Cincinnati style chili does... that most of what is in pumpkin spice. I bet "pumpkin spiced" chili would taste just fine as long as it wasn't overly sweet.

I've also had chili with chocolate in it (sorta mole-style) and it was very good too, so a little sweet is ok, overly sweet... no good.

• Like 1

Pumpkin pie is an abomination.

I agree with a lot of what you said—but I definitely don't agree with this!

:yes: Pumpkin pie with whip cream is one of the best things about fall!

I agree about the coffee though. Any flavor in coffee is wrong in my book.

I agree with Dennis Leary when it comes to coffee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQxgv4QtKM8

• Like 1

:yes: Pumpkin pie with whip cream is one of the best things about fall!

I agree about the coffee though. Any flavor in coffee is wrong in my book.

I agree with Dennis Leary when it comes to coffee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQxgv4QtKM8

Whipped cream is delicious, and if I am served a slice of pumpkin pie I will happily snork down the gob of whipped cream along with a teeny edge of crust that isn't contaminated by pie.

It's the partially gelatinous, weird texture of pumpkin pie I can't handle. Feed me pumpkin bread, muffins, or that pumpkin roll with the cream cheese frosting, but no pie. Oddly enough most of my family feels the same way. There were about 20 people at my stepmother's a couple of years ago; the only dessert that went untouched was the pumpkin pie. No one wanted to take any home, either. Everything else was either demolished or portioned out to take home. My stepmother surveyed the remains of the day and said, "I knew that damn pumpkin pie was a mistake. Not doing that again!"

Edited by Mara

It's all the fault of Starbucks and their stupid Pumpkin Spice Lattes (which, by the way, hit the stores in AUGUST. Not fall). There is nothing "pumpkin" about that trendy white-girl hipster favorite; it's just allspice and a metric crapton of sugar blended with orange food coloring, milk, and a teeny bit of coffee.

As much as I hate to admit it... I think, yes, Starbucks has made fall the pumpkin spice season of the year. Let it be known people... that true Seattleites have nothing to do with pumpkin spice lattes. It's all the outsiders who spaz out about Starbucks and fall. Starbucks was just smart enough to put these two together. Part of me celebrates this because I'm sure the money they rake in at this time of year enables us to have a Starbucks on every corner and one kiosk in-between for those caffeine emergencies when we can't quite make it from the end of one block to another.

I have never had a pumpkin spice latte. Sounds too gross for words. Give me my three shots over ice and I'm happy.

Pumpkin pie is the bomb. Not the abomination.

This coming from the person who does not have a sweet tooth. Maybe that's why I love it. It's more of a savory treat.

• Like 3

Not a fan of pumpkin anything... :no:

Oh, you'd like Pumpkin Cheesecake cookies from Pepperidge Farm. I've only delivered about 10,000 cases of it this year.

I'll bet $1 that Mara would love them, too.

Mara's main point is on target. I feel the same way about bacon. I like bacon, by itself. I don't need bacon on every sandwich in order to make it a sandwich. Now, Subway has a turkey bacon some crap sandwich. Gees, enough already.
  • Like 1

Mara's main point is on target. I feel the same way about bacon. I like bacon, by itself. I don't need bacon on every sandwich in order to make it a sandwich. Now, Subway has a turkey bacon some crap sandwich. Gees, enough already.

http://coolmaterial.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Maple-Bacon-Ale.jpg

:drool:

Turkey-spice pumpkin chili? What's that? :o

Heaven in a bowl!

It's not chili. Texans would drown anyone who tried to serve it to them. I'm not even from Texas but know they're none too tolerant of "frou-frou" tweaks on chili.

There has opened a Starbucks in the mall next to my rehearsal space which sells pumpkin spice latte. Haven't tried one (in fact I have never tasted anything pumpkin) but I find it amusing to see so many people go nuts over Starbucks coffee. I bet they feel like 'muricans' when all they do is look so provincial.

Seems like there are phases of food or spices that people go crazy about. Back here in Denmark it has always been bacon - we're pretty good at making it, then it was chili and pulled pork and now we are having brain hemorrhages about a special kind of yoghurt we call Skyr.

Nuts! ;)

There has opened a Starbucks in the mall next to my rehearsal space which sells pumpkin spice latte. Haven't tried one (in fact I have never tasted anything pumpkin) but I find it amusing to see so many people go nuts over Starbucks coffee. I bet they feel like 'muricans' when all they do is look so provincial.

Seems like there are phases of food or spices that people go crazy about. Back here in Denmark it has always been bacon - we're pretty good at making it, then it was chili and pulled pork and now we are having brain hemorrhages about a special kind of yoghurt we call Skyr.

Nuts! ;)

Skyr is about to hit the US big time as well, as the trendy successor to Greek yogurt.

The "Is it fat-free??" assholes ruined Greek yogurt. Two years ago all you could find was full-fat Chobani, Fage, etc. "Full-fat" is actually considered a hallmark of real Greek yogurt. But oh no, the Fat Free moo brigade stomped and whined and wanted everything fat-free; never mind that pulling out the fat more or less ruins the rich texture of the product. Now you cannot find Greek yogurt with anything more than 2% fat, and even that's pretty damn scarce.

Edited by Mara
  • Like 4

Nuts! ;)

Skyr is about to hit the US big time as well, as the trendy successor to Greek yogurt.

The "Is it fat-free??" assholes ruined Greek yogurt. Two years ago all you could find was full-fat Chobani, Fage, etc. "Full-fat" is actually considered a hallmark of real Greek yogurt. But oh no, the Fat Free moo brigade stomped and whined and wanted everything fat-free; never mind that pulling out the fat more or less ruins the rich texture of the product. Now you cannot find Greek yogurt with anything more than 2% fat, and even that's pretty damn scarce.

I really like your way of thinking :)

When I need to use cream in food or desserts I use real cream. The fatter the better. So many people doesn't realize that fat is flavor. You strip the fat out goes the flavor, and where do they think that will come from? Artificial flavoring! Used to drink milk with 3 % fat but my stomach is getting increasingly upset about dairy products so I'm down to skimmed milk - but it feels like watered down milk :(.

I'd rather have more fat and more sugar as long as it is real. The side effects I can work off but who knows how all that artificial stuff will affect my body long term?

• Like 3

Turkey-spice pumpkin chili? What's that? :o

Heaven in a bowl!

It's not chili. Texans would drown anyone who tried to serve it to them. I'm not even from Texas but know they're none too tolerant of "frou-frou" tweaks on chili.

Fu** em!!,

Chili is what you make of it. It's like meatloaf. I have made many versions of both and the combinations of flavor never end. :D

Nuts! ;)

I really like your way of thinking :)

When I need to use cream in food or desserts I use real cream. The fatter the better. So many people doesn't realize that fat is flavor. You strip the fat out goes the flavor, and where do they think that will come from? Artificial flavoring! Used to drink milk with 3 % fat but my stomach is getting increasingly upset about dairy products so I'm down to skimmed milk - but it feels like watered down milk :(.

I'd rather have more fat and more sugar as long as it is real. The side effects I can work off but who knows how all that artificial stuff will affect my body long term?

My wife found out the hard way that you can't make banana pudding with Almond milk. Lol