This could be the dumbest kid in the world...

treeduck

Schoolboy, 15, 'could smell flesh burning' when his fingertips were blown off after he lit illegal firework in his bedroom to show his girlfriend

Dylan Cosgrove panicked and put firework in his mouth to put it out

That didn't work, so he ran into bedroom corner and placed hand over it

It exploded and he smelt burning flesh as blood poured over the floor

'I was frightened for my girlfriend' said boy, of Washington, Tyne and Wear

Right hand damaged permanently despite four and a half hours of surgery

Firework was one of ten he bought for Bonfire Night from classmate for £1

A 15-year-old boy could smell his own burning flesh after he blew off his fingertips with an illegal firework which he had lit to show his girlfriend.

Dylan Cosgrove panicked and put the explosive in his mouth in a desperate bid to put it out - before running to the corner of his bedroom and covering it with his hand.

The blast broke his right hand in seven places and snapped two tendons, with Dylan suffering permanent damage despite four and a half hours of surgery.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/23/1414092609261_wps_4_Dated_23_10_2014_SCHOOLBO.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/23/1414092663252_Image_galleryImage_Dated_23_10_2014_SCHOOLBO.JPG

Dylan, from Washington, Tyne and Wear, had bought the firework as one of a set of ten from a friend for just £1.

He was planning to use them on Bonfire Night and decided to light one 'for a laugh' to show his girlfriend Erin Easton on October 8 - but to his horror, he was unable to extinguish the fuse.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/23/1414092935793_Image_galleryImage_Dated_23_10_2014_SCHOOLBO.JPG

'I quickly realised the fuse wouldn't go out and went into a blind panic and didn't know what to do,' he said. 'I even put it to my mouth to try to put it out.

'That was crazy when I think about what could have happened if it had exploded in my face, but I was desperate to stop it going off.

'I tried to put it out by blowing on it like a candle and even tried licking it to extinguish the fuse but it wouldn’t work.

'I was frightened for my girlfriend and I didn't want to start a fire in my bedroom so I ran to the other side of the room to protect her from the explosion.

'I thought the only thing left to do was to put my two fingers on it to soften the blow, but the next thing I heard was a huge bang.

'I couldn’t feel anything, I think my body was running on adrenaline. I knew I had been badly hurt.

'My ears were ringing and I could smell my burning flesh.'

Dylan's father Michael Stephenson, 41, heard an 'almighty bang' and screaming before his son came running down the stairs 'white as a sheet'.

'There wasn't any blood at first but it began to seep out over the floor when he sat down on the sofa,' he added.

An ambulance took the schoolboy to Gateshead's Queen Elizabeth Hospital, where an X-ray revealed his right hand had been broken in seven places.

He went through four and a half hours of surgery at the nearby Royal Victoria Infirmary and now has metal pins in several of his fingers.

The tip of Dylan’s index finger had been completely blown off, leaving the bone sticking out which had to be cut away.

Two of his tendons snapped and retracted into his arm, reducing flexibility and causing damage from which he will never fully recover.

Fortunately, the schoolboy said, he is left-handed.

The pupil at St Robert of Newminster Catholic school in Washington, Tyne and Wear, said he bought ten of the fireworks for £1 from a classmate.

Although the packaging said they were UK approved, firefighters later told them the fireworks were illegal.

Dylan's mother, 39-year-old B&Q project co-ordinator Samantha Cosgrove, said she was 'in shock' when she heard the news.

'I just stood up in the restaurant and shouted, "my son's blown the ends of his fingers off"', she said. 'Goodness knows what people were thinking.

'He was in total shock and kept asking if he would be sent to prison.

'We would never let fireworks in the house and we know now how dangerous they can be. We destroyed the remaining ones.'

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/23/1414092780382_wps_12_Dated_23_10_2014_SCHOOLBO.jpg http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/23/1414092765296_Image_galleryImage_Dated_23_10_2014_SCHOOLBO.JPG

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/23/1414092841832_wps_14_Dated_23_10_2014_SCHOOLBO.jpg

She added: 'We trusted Dylan and we never thought that he would do something like this in the house.

'Unfortunately he has had to learn the hard way. There should definitely be tougher restrictions on how people can purchase fireworks.'

The teenager agreed to make his case public to raise awareness.

Area Manager Kevin Gardner, of the Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, said: 'I would like to thank Dylan and his family for telling their story, to try to prevent this from happening to anyone else.

'I would urge anyone to report the sale of illegal fireworks to the police and not to buy them.

'Licensed fireworks are explosives but buying fireworks from non-reputable or licensed retailers is asking for trouble - you simply do not know what is in them or how they will react.'

Dylan added: 'Everyday life is so much harder now. I'll have to get the pins removed from my fingers in a few weeks and I'll need to continue to have physiotherapy for some time.

'I wish I could turn the clock back. This moment of madness could have cost me my life and I put my girlfriend in danger too. I've been extremely lucky'.

• Like 1

Schoolboy, 15, 'could smell flesh burning' when his fingertips were blown off after he lit illegal firework in his bedroom to show his girlfriend

Dylan Cosgrove panicked and put firework in his mouth to put it out

That didn't work, so he ran into bedroom corner and placed hand over it

It exploded and he smelt burning flesh as blood poured over the floor

'I was frightened for my girlfriend' said boy, of Washington, Tyne and Wear

Right hand damaged permanently despite four and a half hours of surgery

Firework was one of ten he bought for Bonfire Night from classmate for £1

A 15-year-old boy could smell his own burning flesh after he blew off his fingertips with an illegal firework which he had lit to show his girlfriend.

Dylan Cosgrove panicked and put the explosive in his mouth in a desperate bid to put it out - before running to the corner of his bedroom and covering it with his hand.

The blast broke his right hand in seven places and snapped two tendons, with Dylan suffering permanent damage despite four and a half hours of surgery.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/23/1414092609261_wps_4_Dated_23_10_2014_SCHOOLBO.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/23/1414092663252_Image_galleryImage_Dated_23_10_2014_SCHOOLBO.JPG

Dylan, from Washington, Tyne and Wear, had bought the firework as one of a set of ten from a friend for just £1.

He was planning to use them on Bonfire Night and decided to light one 'for a laugh' to show his girlfriend Erin Easton on October 8 - but to his horror, he was unable to extinguish the fuse.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/23/1414092935793_Image_galleryImage_Dated_23_10_2014_SCHOOLBO.JPG

'I quickly realised the fuse wouldn't go out and went into a blind panic and didn't know what to do,' he said. 'I even put it to my mouth to try to put it out.

'That was crazy when I think about what could have happened if it had exploded in my face, but I was desperate to stop it going off.

'I tried to put it out by blowing on it like a candle and even tried licking it to extinguish the fuse but it wouldn’t work.

'I was frightened for my girlfriend and I didn't want to start a fire in my bedroom so I ran to the other side of the room to protect her from the explosion.

'I thought the only thing left to do was to put my two fingers on it to soften the blow, but the next thing I heard was a huge bang.

'I couldn’t feel anything, I think my body was running on adrenaline. I knew I had been badly hurt.

'My ears were ringing and I could smell my burning flesh.'

Dylan's father Michael Stephenson, 41, heard an 'almighty bang' and screaming before his son came running down the stairs 'white as a sheet'.

'There wasn't any blood at first but it began to seep out over the floor when he sat down on the sofa,' he added.

An ambulance took the schoolboy to Gateshead's Queen Elizabeth Hospital, where an X-ray revealed his right hand had been broken in seven places.

He went through four and a half hours of surgery at the nearby Royal Victoria Infirmary and now has metal pins in several of his fingers.

The tip of Dylan’s index finger had been completely blown off, leaving the bone sticking out which had to be cut away.

Two of his tendons snapped and retracted into his arm, reducing flexibility and causing damage from which he will never fully recover.

Fortunately, the schoolboy said, he is left-handed.

The pupil at St Robert of Newminster Catholic school in Washington, Tyne and Wear, said he bought ten of the fireworks for £1 from a classmate.

Although the packaging said they were UK approved, firefighters later told them the fireworks were illegal.

Dylan's mother, 39-year-old B&Q project co-ordinator Samantha Cosgrove, said she was 'in shock' when she heard the news.

'I just stood up in the restaurant and shouted, "my son's blown the ends of his fingers off"', she said. 'Goodness knows what people were thinking.

'He was in total shock and kept asking if he would be sent to prison.

'We would never let fireworks in the house and we know now how dangerous they can be. We destroyed the remaining ones.'

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/23/1414092780382_wps_12_Dated_23_10_2014_SCHOOLBO.jpg http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/23/1414092765296_Image_galleryImage_Dated_23_10_2014_SCHOOLBO.JPG

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/10/23/1414092841832_wps_14_Dated_23_10_2014_SCHOOLBO.jpg

She added: 'We trusted Dylan and we never thought that he would do something like this in the house.

'Unfortunately he has had to learn the hard way. There should definitely be tougher restrictions on how people can purchase fireworks.'

The teenager agreed to make his case public to raise awareness.

Area Manager Kevin Gardner, of the Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, said: 'I would like to thank Dylan and his family for telling their story, to try to prevent this from happening to anyone else.

'I would urge anyone to report the sale of illegal fireworks to the police and not to buy them.

'Licensed fireworks are explosives but buying fireworks from non-reputable or licensed retailers is asking for trouble - you simply do not know what is in them or how they will react.'

Dylan added: 'Everyday life is so much harder now. I'll have to get the pins removed from my fingers in a few weeks and I'll need to continue to have physiotherapy for some time.

'I wish I could turn the clock back. This moment of madness could have cost me my life and I put my girlfriend in danger too. I've been extremely lucky'.

:clap: :facepalm: :sigh:

Do people even think?

Edited by len(songs)
  • Like 1

I still can't believe he was stupid enough to try and put it out in his mouth. :LOL: It would have been like a Tom and Jerry accident, a black face and all his teeth falling out like a broken piano...what an idiot! :joker:
  • Like 5

Couldn't care less about the fireworks accident.

He looks like the Bieber. THAT makes him the dumbest kid in the world..... :o

• Like 6

"The teenager agreed to make his case public to raise awareness."

Raise awareness of what, exactly? Of how much of an idiot he is?

Idiot

• Like 3

And indoor fireworks by Elvis Costello just started on my itunes :laughing guy:

Mick

:LOL: Nice timing
  • Like 2

"The teenager agreed to make his case public to raise awareness."

Raise awareness of what, exactly? Of how much of an idiot he is?

He is not the first person - young or old - to do something stupid with fireworks, and he won't be the last. It happens every July.......

Kids are a joy.......yea sure, lol. I'll show people this next time they ask why i don't want kids.....i know they're kids.......but some are just dumb asses.

Mick

Parents play a large role, of course.

Good choice not to have kids.