Best use of Plywood in a Rush song

Lost In Xanadu

What are you talking about? I actually thought this was a joke thread and was all ready to post something about a termite ridden song.

Neil slapped a couple of 2 x 4's together in YYZ.

• Like 3

What are you talking about? I actually thought this was a joke thread and was all ready to post something about a termite ridden song.

Yup. It's that really sharp "crack" you hear during the guitar solo, if I'm not mistaken.

• Like 3

Yup. It's that really sharp "crack" you hear during the guitar solo, if I'm not mistaken.

I heard it was plywood on a bar stool...

Yeah, I don't know the exact details.

Yeah, I don't know the exact details.

I heard he uses the bones of trespassing fanboys. The house in California was chosen specifically for the spacious, diggable backyard. :laughing guy:

• Like 5

Neil discussed it in the Rush Backstage Club Newsletter in the December 1985 issue:

Q: How do you play plywood?

A: Well you wear gloves so as not to get splinters. You take a piece of 1/4" plywood and smack it down hard on the top of a wooden stool. Very demanding, technically. Took years of practice.

Love that sound in yyz. Fits perfectly with the exotic sound of the solo. I remember reading the liner notes when it was first released and listening over and over just trying to figure out where he played plywood at. It was one of those times when you hear it right after you give up listening for it.
  • Like 1

Yeah all kinds of funny noises in rush, what sounds like a finger running along a hair comb in the main monkey business i think and a bicycle pump in ghost rider remixed

The best use of plywood by Rush could have been on Neil when he presented the lyrics to Half the World to the band.

"What were you thinking?" Whap...

• Like 1

http://rushvault.com/2011/02/05/yyz/

According to the book "Merely Players".