Best Use of Hi-Hat in a Rush song

savagegrace26

Good drummers have a "feel" for the rhythm; you'll often see them moving their body in time. This sense of groove prevents them from being too "mechanical" like a clock.

I don't think I have ever noticed Neil doing that, but I have noticed Geddy who has an incredible sense of beat. He seems to not be able to help himself. Even when he's not moving, he is dah-dah-dah'ing along with the music. This last thing is prominent on a lot of bootlegs that I have.

Who decides and how is it decided what the particular beat and/or rhythm will be for a song?

I'd say usually whoever starts the song. If Alex just blasts through the opening to Spirit of Radio, the others pretty much have to follow his lead - or else there will be a noticeable change in the speed. Good drummers can take the lead and slowly and subltey bring the tempo back to where it belongs. I have to say, though, that the boys were often pretty amped up in the 80s. If you listen to some of the Signals bootlegs, they are playing fast!

As for Neil's motions, one thing that I have noticed him doing - that I don't really remember seeing him do in the old days - is that he has almost a facial tick thing happening. When he slams his stick down on the snare, his head does this sort of little shake. Anyone else notice that?

Have you seen the "classic albums" DVD about 2112 and Moving Pictures? They play a bit of the demo for Tom Sawyer, and it is a lot faster. They made a choice to slow it down, which I think improved it's sense of groove.

Good drummers have a "feel" for the rhythm; you'll often see them moving their body in time. This sense of groove prevents them from being too "mechanical" like a clock.

I don't think I have ever noticed Neil doing that, but I have noticed Geddy who has an incredible sense of beat. He seems to not be able to help himself. Even when he's not moving, he is dah-dah-dah'ing along with the music. This last thing is prominent on a lot of bootlegs that I have.

Who decides and how is it decided what the particular beat and/or rhythm will be for a song?

I'd say usually whoever starts the song. If Alex just blasts through the opening to Spirit of Radio, the others pretty much have to follow his lead - or else there will be a noticeable change in the speed. Good drummers can take the lead and slowly and subltey bring the tempo back to where it belongs. I have to say, though, that the boys were often pretty amped up in the 80s. If you listen to some of the Signals bootlegs, they are playing fast!

As for Neil's motions, one thing that I have noticed him doing - that I don't really remember seeing him do in the old days - is that he has almost a facial tick thing happening. When he slams his stick down on the snare, his head does this sort of little shake. Anyone else notice that?

No, but give me a place to look so I can see if i notice it.

No, but give me a place to look so I can see if i notice it.

Hmmm . . . I'm at work right now (I have to teach a night class in about 14 minutes) . . . but I think if you watch any of the more recent tour videos, you'll see him doing it.

And yes, Lee is just a bundle of energy - like a little kid, sometimes.

• Like 1

I always notice that little tick think you're talking about. He does it quite a bit nowadays

Patch, do you know of one off the top of your head without me having to watch every song?

I can't seem to think of one right now, but I'll try to find one

Patch, do you know of one off the top of your head without me having to watch every song?

Ok I found one. Tom Sawyer from the CA Tour, he does it a couple times right after Geddy says "the river"
  • Like 1

Best Hi-Hat Work: The slow Part In La Villa...

The little tick: Yes, he now "tilts his head" to the right when hitting the snare, but if you watch old bootlegs, he used to bob his head up and down through the whole songs, so it's not really new.. It's just like his new style, a bit "straighter"...

• Like 1

Ok I found one. Tom Sawyer from the CA Tour, he does it a couple times right after Geddy says "the river"

I've also noticed that it seems to coincide to when Geddy hits a particularly strained note.

The other thing that helps determine the rhythm of a particular song if you notice live Neil will hit his sticks together for four beats right before the song starts. That lets the other guys know the rhythm and speed of the song and so they'll start at the same moment and be in time together.

I've also noticed that it seems to coincide to when Geddy hits a particularly strained note.

The other thing that helps determine the rhythm of a particular song if you notice live Neil will hit his sticks together for four beats right before the song starts. That lets the other guys know the rhythm and speed of the song and so they'll start at the same moment and be in time together.

I understand that is very common for a drummer to tap out the beat before a song starts.

The Weapon and during the guitar solo on La Villa

And then there's that little string of 6 quick hit/closes at around the 2 minute mark of Lessons.. Always thought that was so cool and such a Rush thing to do :)

http://youtube.com/watch?list=PLWnVxuqvY7JhIStJuEWmAAprHwcxAJl8T&v=X3jgmySKsNg

• Like 1

I understand that is very common for a drummer to tap out the beat before a song starts.

Yes it is.

The Weapon and during the guitar solo on La Villa

And then there's that little string of 6 quick hit/closes at around the 2 minute mark of Lessons.. Always thought that was so cool and such a Rush thing to do :)

http://youtube.com/watch?list=PLWnVxuqvY7JhIStJuEWmAAprHwcxAJl8T&v=X3jgmySKsNg

Nice call! I swear I was going post the same thing. Lessons is one of my favorites! :goodone:

• Like 1

That's the bass drum. Neil has one foot on the bass drum pedal, the other on the hi-hat pedal, and the faster, repetitive rhythm of the cymbal sound is what he's playing with the sticks.

How does he do it? It's not like each of these is doing the same thing. To my ears (and I may be wrong since I am not a musician), it sounds like each one is a different beat. How does he not get confused and lose what sounds like different beats?

Be born with a natural ability towards muscianship and then spend the next fifty years of your life behind a drum kit.

• Like 1

Vital Signs, Natural Science, The Weapon, Marathon, The Mission (second verse), The Analog Kid, Bravado, Subdivisions.

Vital Signs, Natural Science, The Weapon, Marathon, The Mission (second verse), The Analog Kid, Bravado, Subdivisions.

Good call on Marathon, some of his best drum work ever.
  • Like 1

I'm going to give it a spin.

• Like 1

I'm going to give it a spin.

Love this song, every time I listen I can see someone running in my mind, with the driving tempo and I love the fade on the synth :yes:

Edited by Rhyta