Best Use of Hi-Hat in a Rush song

savagegrace26

I would say the best hi hat is at the end of Hemispheres during the part where Geddy is singing "Apollo was astonished!..."

Honorable mentions to La Villa, The Speed of Love, and The Big Money

Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 1

OK- it's the cymbal with a pedal on it- both of the bottom ends of the cymbal are affixed so that they're facing each other, and controlled with the foot pedal- like what you hear at the beginning of The Weapon.

(I wasn't sure if you were serious about not knowing).

• Like 2

OK- it's the cymbal with a pedal on it- both of the bottom ends of the cymbal are affixed so that they're facing each other, and controlled with the foot pedal- like what you hear at the beginning of The Weapon.

(I wasn't sure if you were serious about not knowing).

Thank you. Where is that other sound coming from at the beginning? The thumping?

That's the bass drum. Neil has one foot on the bass drum pedal, the other on the hi-hat pedal, and the faster, repetitive rhythm of the cymbal sound is what he's playing with the sticks.

That's the bass drum. Neil has one foot on the bass drum pedal, the other on the hi-hat pedal, and the faster, repetitive rhythm of the cymbal sound is what he's playing with the sticks.

How does he do it? It's not like each of these is doing the same thing. To my ears (and I may be wrong since I am not a musician), it sounds like each one is a different beat. How does he not get confused and lose what sounds like different beats?

How does he do it? It's not like each of these is doing the same thing. To my ears (and I may be wrong since I am not a musician), it sounds like each one is a different beat. How does he not get confused and lose what sounds like different beats?

Practice.

• Like 3

Practice.

Am I right in what I hear? Each is a different beat?

It is a trickier rhythm than it sounds, to get it down exactly. And I am a drummer...but I'm not Neil. Hahaha. I can do a reasonable facsimile of what he does in that song. It isn't just in the beginning, but the sound of the hi-hat is also prominent in the refrain (beginning with "He's not afraid of your judgment")...

To answer your question, playing the drums, and especially playing what Neil and other consummate professional drummers play, is a matter of having concise control over both arms and both legs- all of them doing different things at the same time.

• Like 2

Practice.

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

Practice.

Am I right in what I hear? Each is a different beat?

Yup. The song fades in with Neil playing steady quarter notes on the bass drum and doing lots of accents on the high hat.

• Like 1