Bi Polar Disorder?

Virtualbob64

Does anyone on TRF suffer from this?I have most of my life,and it's a terrible condition.It has left me nearly disabled,and almost ruined the lives of everyone close to me.Those that don't wouldn't understand,and society,insurance companies,and even the US Government have yet to realize that it is as real,and as painful as any other sickness or infirmity.Anyone?.

I don't myself but am close to a few people who have been diagnosed. Interesting to note that they are ALL highly intelligent and have some kind of artistic/creative inclination.

You have my sympathies; no doubt in my mind that it can be quite the struggle.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I understand some of your claims. It's a recognized illness often treated by medications that insurance, including government plans like Medicare, cover. Why do you say it is not realized as real? If anything, anyone who has ever been around a bipolar person recognizes how important meds are in helping control symptoms.

I'm not sure I understand some of your claims. It's a recognized illness often treated by medications that insurance, including government plans like Medicare, cover. Why do you say it is not realized as real? If anything, anyone who has ever been around a bipolar person recognizes how important meds are in helping control symptoms.

I guess I meant that insurance companies don't pay as high of a percentage towards mental illness,and as far as the government trying to get disability for said disorder is almost impossible.

Hello there,

You aren't alone, not at all - I have been diagnosed as being type one bipolar about one year ago, and was diagnosed with major depression before they figured out what condition was actually plaguing me. What's most difficult about it for me is how unpredictable (and intense) my emotions are, and how much the inconsistencies of my emotions affect those around me, as well as the decisions I make. I'm currently taking medication for it, which does help, but the downside is how fatigued it makes me feel. It's somewhat of a lose-lose situation because with or without the medication, it's difficult for me to function. Just take life one day at a time.

Take Care,

IR

• Like 5

I am going to have to get checked out soon.

This weekend I have been in a terrible state. No sense of feeling, heavily fatigued. I have been constantly high or incredibly low with no inbetween all week and my friends and family are worried sick.

went to a party yesterday and felt dead inside.

I can barely move today, stuck in bed. I cannot seem to function or think about anything seriously, i am just a mess.

I think it is all my fault and i am lazy and unlikeable but i cannot seem to work myself out of this mess. i feel like i know what to do but the point is beyond my understanding.

I think it is all my fault and i am lazy and unlikeable

Really? You're pretty likeable here (I mean that with sincerity).

Maybe even more likeable than me.

I have a lot of love.

But not from me.

Arg I need to keep cheerful

Thank you though.

You are awesome.

This weekend I have been in a terrible state. No sense of feeling, heavily fatigued. I have been constantly high or incredibly low with no inbetween all week and my friends and family are worried sick.

I can barely move today, stuck in bed. I cannot seem to function or think about anything seriously, i am just a mess.

I think it is all my fault and i am lazy and unlikeable but i cannot seem to work myself out of this mess. i feel like i know what to do but the point is beyond my understanding.

As many know here I have been having a helluva time of it since February. I have been up and down, had surgeries, tried many different medications for anxiety and depression (I guess). I have been on Ativan (1 mg twice a day) for about 5 months now and it has helped some. A few weeks ago I went to a pain specific doctor for the first time because I had so much body pain, arthritis etc. I am now on 4 medications daily... Ativan, Hydrocodone, Vimovo and Neurontin and have been doing much better the past 2 weeks. Going to the gym and doing very normal things daily and sleeping much better. Just putting it out there for what its worth.... :) Edited by Narpski
  • Like 2

I have a lot of love.

But not from me.

I get in depressed states pretty often. It's difficult.

Try watching an episode of the old Pac-Man cartoon. It could help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_G9knfir5Y

As many know here I have been having a helluva time of it since February. I have been up and down, had surgeries, trid many different medications for anxiety and depression (I guess). I have been on Ativan (1 mg twice a day) for about 5 months now and it has helped some. A few weeks ago I went to a pain specific doctor for the first time because I had so much body pain, arthritis etc. I am now on 4 medications daily... Ativan, Hydrocodone, Vimovo and Neurontin and have been doing much better the past 2 weeks. Going to the gym and doing very normal things daily and sleeping much better. Just putting it out there for what its worth.... :)

sometimes i get panicky in my own home.

it took all my energy to cook a ready meal today. and i love cooking.

i need to get help and i will this week but i keep thinking i am messed up due to my own fault.

last year i was bullied at work so bad i was almost assaulted. the guy got sacked, but the bullying, which had gone on in one way or another for months, completely broke me and i have not been the same since i walked out.

now i am an echo of myself, no ambitions, goals or desire to move forward.

sorry guys but i am close to breaking tonight and nothing will shift this for a while.

music and this forum helps keep me sane.

As many know here I have been having a helluva time of it since February. I have been up and down, had surgeries, trid many different medications for anxiety and depression (I guess). I have been on Ativan (1 mg twice a day) for about 5 months now and it has helped some. A few weeks ago I went to a pain specific doctor for the first time because I had so much body pain, arthritis etc. I am now on 4 medications daily... Ativan, Hydrocodone, Vimovo and Neurontin and have been doing much better the past 2 weeks. Going to the gym and doing very normal things daily and sleeping much better. Just putting it out there for what its worth.... :)

sometimes i get panicky in my own home.

it took all my energy to cook a ready meal today. and i love cooking.

i need to get help and i will this week but i keep thinking i am messed up due to my own fault.

last year i was bullied at work so bad i was almost assaulted. the guy got sacked, but the bullying, which had gone on in one way or another for months, completely broke me and i have not been the same since i walked out.

now i am an echo of myself, no ambitions, goals or desire to move forward.

sorry guys but i am close to breaking tonight and nothing will shift this for a while.

music and this forum helps keep me sane.

Anxiety medication can help greatly at least from my experience. There are so many that I have tried that just don't agree with me. Its alot of trial and error. I am over the guilt of having to take the stuff after 53 years of never needing anything....
  • Like 1

As many know here I have been having a helluva time of it since February. I have been up and down, had surgeries, tried many different medications for anxiety and depression (I guess). I have been on Ativan (1 mg twice a day) for about 5 months now and it has helped some. A few weeks ago I went to a pain specific doctor for the first time because I had so much body pain, arthritis etc. I am now on 4 medications daily... Ativan, Hydrocodone, Vimovo and Neurontin and have been doing much better the past 2 weeks. Going to the gym and doing very normal things daily and sleeping much better. Just putting it out there for what its worth.... :)

I hear you about the body pain. I'm going to a rheumatologist tomorrow to find out if I possibly have Fibromyalgia. I've been taking Neurontin for a couple of years now and it's an awesome drug for nerve pain. I don't think I could function without it.

• Like 1

I was diagnosed as a child. I was given a pretty dismal prognosis back then, but that was in the Eighties. Bipolar I is classified as a disability according to the U.S. Government, as it falls under the criteria for SSI/Disability payments. I've been on them for years and I've just gained enough sanity recently to apply for a part-time job. Independence is still a lifetime goal for me, by the way, so I don't need to hear any more lectures about willpower from the Libertarians here follow the advice of non-experts. :P
  • Like 1

I have a lot of love.

But not from me.

Borderline is my Axis II diagnosis from early adulthood, so I know that self-hatred thing like the old cut marks on my arm. Usually it helps to confide in someone until you feel less alone in your insecurity. Meanwhile, stay strong. :heart:

I just about never talk about anything personal here anymore. But I'm going to now.

I don't have bipolar disorder. I have what I would call moderate issues with depression, but not manic depression. My sister did, though- she was diagnosed somewhere around 1989 or '90, when she was right around 20 years old. She was three years older than I. We weren't terribly close during adolescence, but we became close very soon after. And we were as connected as siblings can be, on an emotional level. Even so, there were things that she wouldn't talk to me about (and even while she swore that I was the only person who she could talk to about absolutely anything). She had an enormous host of friends, and loved them all- but she was also very withdrawn, which led to self-destructive tendencies, too.

I don't like to be preachy, but in this case I'm going to do so. I want to tell any of you who are on medication for depression or bipolar disorder, please don't drink alcohol in conjunction with them. I'm not being preachy about that just because I'm a recovered alcoholic. I'm being preachy about it because that was how my sister died. The combination of prescriptions and alcohol in her system were just too much. She didn't overdose on anything. She'd had a few glasses of wine, and that was it. But she had done that enough times that her heart just couldn't take it anymore, and it stopped. She literally died of a broken heart. That was in 2008; she was 38 years old.

I don't mean for all of this to be a cautionary tale, though.

Over the past several months, I've had the most wonderful experience growing very close and becoming deeply involved with a woman who has bipolar disorder. And as deeply connected as we feel to each other, I think of this time right now as only the very beginning of everything that may lie ahead.

I know that I am still learning how to care for her, every day- how to show understanding, and to be as close to everything that she needs as I can be. All I would like to do is to love and care for her and provide every possible avenue that may be of help. But I also know that I am not going to be able to do everything, as I would like to. The disorder is something that love and understanding can't just fix, entirely. But I am certainly devoted to alleviating as many of the terrible lows as I can.

All of you who have spoken out here have my utmost respect.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

I just about never talk about anything personal here anymore. But I'm going to now.

I don't have bipolar disorder. I have what I would call moderate issues with depression, but not manic depression. My sister did, though- she was diagnosed somewhere around 1989 or '90, when she was right around 20 years old. She was three years older than I. We weren't terribly close during adolescence, but we became close very soon after. And we were as connected as siblings can be, on an emotional level. Even so, there were things that she wouldn't talk to me about (and even while she swore that I was the only person who she could talk to about absolutely anything). She had an enormous host of friends, and loved them all- but she was also very withdrawn, which led to self-destructive tendencies, too.

I don't like to be preachy, but in this case I'm going to do so. I want to tell any of you who are on medication for depression or bipolar disorder, please don't drink alcohol in conjunction with them. I'm not being preachy about that just because I'm a recovered alcoholic. I'm being preachy about it because that was how my sister died. The combination of prescriptions and alcohol in her system were just too much. She didn't overdose on anything. She'd had a few glasses of wine, and that was it. But she had done that enough times that her heart just couldn't take it anymore, and it stopped. She literally died of a broken heart. That was in 2008; she was 38 years old.

I don't mean for all of this to be a cautionary tale, though.

Over the past several months, I've had the most wonderful experience growing very close and becoming deeply involved with a woman who has bipolar disorder. And as deeply connected as we feel to each other, I think of this time right now as only the very beginning of everything that may lie ahead.

I know that I am still learning how to care for her, every day- how to show understanding, and to be as close to everything that she needs as I can be. All I would like to do is to love and care for her and provide every possible avenue that may be of help. But I also know that I am not going to be able to do everything, as I would like to. The disorder is something that love and understanding can't just fix, entirely. But I am certainly devoted to alleviating as many of the terrible lows as I can.

All of you who have spoken out here have my utmost respect.

Is this your wife you are talking about?