A big thank you to The Allman Brothers Band

apetersvt

Tomorrow night (Oct 21st) starts the first of six shows at the Beacon Theater in NYC that will end their storied 45 years of music together. Certainly they would never be the same again after the death of Duane, but some of the newer players (Warren, Derek, and Oteil (plus Woody, RIP)) have provided me many a magical night of music. Saw my first show in '91 and have seen about 20-25 Allmans shows. I was lucky enough to score tickets for their final performance. Gonna miss them.

• Like 4

Tomorrow night (Oct 21st) starts the first of six shows at the Beacon Theater in NYC that will end their storied 45 years of music together. Certainly they would never be the same again after the death of Duane, but some of the newer players (Warren, Derek, and Oteil (plus Woody, RIP)) have provided me many a magical night of music. Saw my first show in '91 and have seen about 20-25 Allmans shows. I was lucky enough to score tickets for their final performance. Gonna miss them.

Lucky duck. Enjoy the show man. As someone that's always wanted to see them live I really envy you right now. Hopefully they release a DVD of the show :D

• Like 1

Tomorrow night (Oct 21st) starts the first of six shows at the Beacon Theater in NYC that will end their storied 45 years of music together. Certainly they would never be the same again after the death of Duane, but some of the newer players (Warren, Derek, and Oteil (plus Woody, RIP)) have provided me many a magical night of music. (Don't forget about Dickey Betts, too! - ed.) Saw my first show in '91 and have seen about 20-25 Allmans shows. I was lucky enough to score tickets for their final performance. Gonna miss them.

Fantastic that you will get to see their last show!

I saw them for the first time in '92, and made it to maybe 10-12 shows, something like that, in the years since. I never, ever saw them have an 'off' night.

I met Jaimoe one night, as he was walking through the lawn among the crowd before a shed show, sometime in the mid '90s. He was so nice, stopped and talked awhile, and signed my ticket stub for me. He was really gracious.

In '93, I took a trip to Georgia by myself, specifically because I wanted to visit Duane Allman and Berry Oakley's graves at Rose Hill. It was a trip and an event that I'll never forget. And then four days after that visit, I was back in Cincinnati, at an Allman Brothers show.

(I also met Derek Trucks, Susan Tedeschi, their kids, and Derek's whole family on the Soul Stew Revival tour, in the summer of 2008- some of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet).

I still can't believe there aren't going to be any more Allmans shows, ever since I first heard they were going to hang it up. But having to audition two new guitarists at this stage, with Warren and Derek both moving on to other things...it's probably best that Gregg has decided not to do that, I think.

He, and everybody who has been in his band over the years, are leaving quite a legacy.

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 3

Tomorrow night (Oct 21st) starts the first of six shows at the Beacon Theater in NYC that will end their storied 45 years of music together. Certainly they would never be the same again after the death of Duane

I'm not aware of the exact dates of these six shows- is the last one tonight?

Today is the 43rd anniversary of Howard Duane Allman's death.

One of my oldest and dearest friends is Greg Allman's son, Michael Allman.

he is a musician. you can find his band (called The Michael Allman Band) on Facebook. :)

he sounds A LOT like his daddy. but keeps true to himself and his own sound.

there was a good article in USATODAY about the show in NY i read the other day.

• Like 1

What a wonderful night. Show started about 8:50 (no openers) and ended at 1:25. It's being broadcast on Sirius/XM Classic Vinyl channel several times this week.

setlist was:

Set 1:

1. Little Martha

2. Mountain Jam

3. Don't Want You No More

4. It's Not My Cross to Bear

5. One Way Out

6. Good Morning, Little Schoolgirl

7. Midnight Rider

8. The High Cost of Low Living

9. Hot 'Lanta

10. Blue Sky

11. You Don't Love Me

Set 2:

12. Statesboro Blues

13. Ain't Wastin' Time No More

14. Black Hearted Woman

15. The Sky Is Crying

16. Dreams

17. Don't Keep Me Wonderin'

18. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed

19. JaBuMaOt

Set 3:

20. Melissa

21. Revival

22. Southbound

23. Mountain Jam

(reprise)

24. Will the Circle Be Unbroken

Encore:

25. Whipping Post

Encore 2:

26. Trouble No More

After Whipping Post, Gregg gave a speech followed by Butch and Jaimoe. Closed with Trouble No More as it was the first song that the band ever played together.

• Like 1

What a wonderful night. Show started about 8:50 (no openers) and ended at 1:25.

After Whipping Post, Gregg gave a speech followed by Butch and Jaimoe. Closed with Trouble No More as it was the first song that the band ever played together.

WOW. What a wonderful night, indeed. Thanks for posting about it. I'll be hitting up the Classic Vinyl channel to find out when I can catch it.

Also, I love the JPEG link in your signature- Fillmore East 2/11/1970, correct?

Good call. Didn't know the date of the top of my head. But it was in the tapers compendium vol 1 and was able to find it on the net.

My favorite collaboration of musicians on stage ever

The following people were on stage: Mick Fleetwood-dancing, Peter Green-guitar, Pigpen-vocals, Bob Weir-guitar/vocals, Danny Kirwin-guitar, Gregg Allman-organ/vocals, Jerry Garcia-guitar, Bill Kreutzmann-drum kit, Berry Oakley-bass, Butch Trucks-drum kit, Duane Allman-guitar, Mickey Hart-percussion. Phil Lesh is not pictured. The photo is likely of "Lovelight."