Which album started Rush's "decline"?

savagegrace26

Which album started Rush's "decline"?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Which album started Rush's "decline"?

• Rush
    • Fly By Night
    • Caress of Steel
    • A Farewell to Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll the Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test for Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Feedback
    • Snakes and Arrows
    • Clockwork Angels
    • Rush started declining before they released their first album
    • Rush have been constantly ascending
    • No decline whatsoever; Rush are a progressive band so they are always "progressing"
    • The band has never declined, the listener has.
    • I "decline" to participate in this poll.

I'd say decline is too harsh a word. Also they didn't immediately improve on the debut. Rush to FBN to CoS is a decline that suddenly reverses and launches to the top with 2112. 2112>Presto IMHO has very few (can count them on one hand) bad songs.

Then they became inconsistent again. RTB is saddled with Heresy and Face Up, Cp is a big improvement, then T4E backslides.

Followed by their second big comeback: VT, S&A and CA are all better than RTB and T4E

If anything the band is declining NOW! The boys are human too right? LOL! I mean sometimes during the last few tours it was hard trying to listen to Geddy sing.

Neil seemed like he was huffing and a puffing like Puff The Magic Dragon! HAHAHA!

To be honest the only one who is NOT declining is Alex!! Damn he's getting better during each tour!!!! JMO!!!

How will Geddy's voice survive the next tour in the spring of 2015? Thank GOD there is no new album so maybe they will play "Jacob's Ladder" so every fanboi can grab a Coke, pop some Cheetos and jack off on the internet! Jesus!

I pray there is no orchestra this time around. Maybe they will open with an instrumental medley like they did on the R30 Tour.

What will this tour be called? R40.5?

I'm going off the rails of a crazy train. I have just lost my wit.

So hey, it is what it is.

We are lucky our band is still alive and well.

Personally I'm just not going to travel anymore for the band outside of California.

Time will tell.

I was thinking about Geddy's vocal issues the other night, and I think we may not have to worry. Think about it, the CA tour was very long, and it started basically immediately after the very long Time Machine Tour. That's a lot of touring by anyone's standards, perhaps Geddy's voice was just getting tired? Who knows? Maybe after this extended break he'll come back sounding like he did on Snakes

Good point!! I hope you are right!!! Geddy did sound great on Snakes!

• Like 1

Jesus, permanent waves was an absolute mindblower for me, like they'd just cranked it up into the 21st century wayy ahead of the rest.

Every. Single. NOTE. of that album. Was perfect.

Even the album graphics and general look of the band was a new cool, like the old prog look finally shaken off.

I resent this album even being mentioned in a rush decline thread :)

"Different Strings" and "Entre Nous" RULE! Everyone wants "Jacob's Ladder" live again. I want "Different Strings." Right after Neil's solo.

• Like 2

Earl, you sound an awful lot like Spaghetti to me. Lose one, gain one. :)

Earl is to Spaghetti Lee as Xanadu is to Faithless.

:blink:

Earl, please accept my apology.

Hahaha! No worries!! Funny stuff! Thanks for the laugh! "Spaghetti Western" is great too!

Love,

PRIMUS

This one decline thing is to simplified. This illustrates it better:

RUSH<ascension>FLYBYNIGHT<ascension>CARESSOFSTEEL<equalization>2112<ascension>AFAREWELLTOKINGS<equalization>HEMISPHERES<ascension>PERMANENTWAVES<equalization>MOVINGPICTURES<equalization>SIGNALS<equalization>GRACEUNDERPRESSURE<minordeclension>POWERWINDOWS<equalization>HOLDYOURFIRE<ascension>PRESTO<majordeclension>ROLLTHEBONES<ascension>COUNTERPARTS<declension>TESTFORECHO<equalization>VAPORTRAILS<minordeclension>SNAKESANDARROWS<majorascension>CLOCKWORK ANGELS

Edited by savagegrace26

So...where exactly is Spaghetti these days?

I went quiet for a while, came back, and he just seems to have disappeared.

I almost miss him.

I can't vote on this, because any decline from my point of view is followed by an ascencion.

The nineties is my least favourite decade, but I love a lot of the tracks on RTB and a fair bit of T4E.

As for Counterparts, it might not be a top ten album but it is a strong effort.

I almost miss him.

He was banned, unfortunately
  • Like 1

I almost miss him.

Unfortunate is right.

• Like 1

I almost miss him.

Unfortunate is right.

Yep....
  • Like 4

I just noticed Slack Jaw voted for the first album. :laughing guy: That's funny.

He can be a comedian at times..... :)
  • Like 1

When was he banned? Why?

I think (but am not positive) it was because he got too personal in his criticisms of a certain Rush member.

then I am not sorry to see the back of him.

• Like 2

When was he banned? Why?

I think (but am not positive) it was because he got too personal in his criticisms of a certain Rush member.

In my view folks have the right to post and we have the right to ignore if need be. Just my opinion...
  • Like 3

When was he banned? Why?

In my view folks have the right to post and we have the right to ignore if need be. Just my opinion...

In my view, the mods can do whatever they want. As for SL, good riddance to bad rubbish.

• Like 3

When was he banned? Why?

In my view, the mods can do whatever they want. As for SL, good riddance to bad rubbish.

Another plusungood poster down the memory hole, so to speak...

When was he banned? Why?

Don't disagree with that either. Its their place....

I personally got more then a few laughs out of SL/ but you keep posting in that aggressive troll style. The hammer will drop on you eventually. No surprise. Just that it took this long to ban him, lol

Mick

I don't really see him as a troll. He often had actual insight and interesting stories. He just had a sort of dark sense of humor, which as far as I'm concerned, had an audience on this forum.