What did you learn today?

jamie

Well, you learn something new every day.

I learned that my city was the richest city per capita in the 1890's.

I learned that there's a new "What did you learn today?" thread. *comedic drum fill*

i had a feeling that it's been done before.

The other day I learned the origin of the word "malapropism":

Mrs. Malaprop, a character in Richard Sheridan's 1775 play The Rivals, was known for her verbal blunders. "He is the very pine-apple of politeness," she exclaimed, complimenting a courteous young man. Thinking of the geography of contiguous countries, she spoke of the "geometry" of "contagious countries," and she hoped that her daughter might "reprehend" the true meaning of what she was saying. She regretted that her "affluence" over her niece was small. The word malapropism derives from this blundering character's name, which Sheridan took from the French term mal à propos, meaning "inappropriate."

I find this to be thoroughly delightful!

• Like 3

The other day I learned the origin of the word "malapropism":

Mrs. Malaprop, a character in Richard Sheridan's 1775 play The Rivals, was known for her verbal blunders. "He is the very pine-apple of politeness," she exclaimed, complimenting a courteous young man. Thinking of the geography of contiguous countries, she spoke of the "geometry" of "contagious countries," and she hoped that her daughter might "reprehend" the true meaning of what she was saying. She regretted that her "affluence" over her niece was small. The word malapropism derives from this blundering character's name, which Sheridan took from the French term mal à propos, meaning "inappropriate."

I find this to be thoroughly delightful!

...I find it the opposite - very frustrating :LOL:

Ryan and Bryan Adams have the same birthday.

Mind blown like the Scanners dude.

Wow, someone on here who knows and/or likes Ryan Adams. Nice!

I'm only familiar with that New York New York song he did that came out right after 9/11. Nice sax solo at the end as well. I read the video for that was shot days before the tragedy.

That I do not decide anything about my life, my parents do... and I am 25 years old...

No, this is bad. You should not be living at home at 25. You should be enjoying the fruits of life.

If you aren't living at home, to hell with what your parents think. Just do you.

That I do not decide anything about my life, my parents do... and I am 25 years old...

No, this is bad. You should not be living at home at 25. You should be enjoying the fruits of life.

If you aren't living at home, to hell with what your parents think. Just do you.

I am living at home, because I got no job...