• Fly by Night
    • Caress of Steel
    • A Farewell to Kings
    • Hemispheres
    • Permanent Waves
    • Moving Pictures
    • Signals
    • Something after Signals

It's between their first album and Moving Pictures (their most successful to the public album) for me.

I could also argure for Caress of Steel since they almost hit rock bottom and that gave the motivation and drive to succeed.

Or Fly By Night since Neil joined the band which made the Rush we know today.

But I will go with their debut, since without that album Rush would never have been made at all.

Edited by savagegrace26

2112 gave them the freedom to do what they wanted.

In their own words. They said it.... :cheers:

Yes, it gave them the freedom to do what they wanted but that doesn't mean it "made" them.

Permament Waves "made" them to me because it gave them a true musical direction for the rest of their career as well as the beginnings of real mainstream acceptance and set them up for their next "most successful" album.

I'm changing my vote to Permanent Waves.

• Like 1

Permanent Waves.

2112 may have very well given them their creative freedom but PeW rocketed them into a new style of writing and led directly to Moving Pictures and without that album, as much as it pains me to admit it, Rush wouldn't be relevant today and probably would've stopped being relelvant by the end of the 1980s.

MP was definitely their most commercially successful album but PeW was the album that got people who didn't listen to them before paying attention. Even if it was a little bit.

• Like 1

Caress Of Steel

Sure, it was deemed a flop, but without it they never would have been pushed to write 2112.

At least, 2112 would not have been the same without the firey passion the band had to succeed and prove the naysayers wrong.

• Like 1

Caress Of Steel

Sure, it was deemed a flop, but without it they never would have been pushed to write 2112.

At least, 2112 would not have been the same without the firey passion the band had to succeed and prove the naysayers wrong.

Totally appropriate perspective, and I agree with the logic- but not the conclusion.

The answer is: 2112

• Like 1

I understood this question to mean what album made them popular, so I voted for Moving Pictures.

And you were right Lorraine. 2112, while it may have saved them from getting their record deal yanked, did not make them a household name. Rush fans own 2112. Rock fans own Moving Pictures.

• Like 4

Caress Of Steel

Totally appropriate perspective, and I agree with the logic- but not the conclusion.

The answer is: 2112

Actually, I think you are right. CoS was the album they needed to make before the next BIG move

CoS nearly destroyed them, 2112 made them into the legends they had always threatened, but not quite succeeded, to become.

• Like 1

Whatever album their parents were listening to when they got it on the night they were conceived...

Geddy Lee's parents were ironically listening to "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" by Jimmy Boyd

Alex Lifeson's parents were listening to "Winter Wonderland" by Perry Como

Neil Peart's parents were listening to "Unforgettable" by Nat King Cole

• Like 1

Whatever album their parents were listening to when they got it on the night they were conceived...

Geddy Lee's parents were ironically listening to "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" by Jimmy Boyd

:LOL:

:o You were there???

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I was given 3 trips in a time machine... I think I wasted them

• Like 3

I was given 3 trips in a time machine... I think I wasted them

:eyeroll: Well, now, don't fret.