Should posts in the spam threads count toward post count totals and levels?

laughedatbytime

Should posts in the spam thread be counted in post count totals?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Should posts in the spam threads be counted in post count totals and toward achieving levels?

yes because they're still posts

But

----------------------+++-----------------

has no real value and shouldn't count the same as a well thought out or informational posts. So you have someone who's posted probably conservatively 40K posts in the spam thread as the forum's leading poster.

There's another poster who just has to post on every single thread at least once. I give credit, I suppose, for making the effort to board-surf in order to do this (as opposed to just continually hitting "reply" in the spam thread), but frequently the posted response is just a smiley. BFD - it contributes absolutely nothing to anything except the member's post count.

I don't care much about post count, though. I've been here long enough to know whose posts and threads are worth reading and whose posts are a self-serving waste of time for all but the author.

Edited by Mara

yes because they're still posts

But

----------------------+++-----------------

has no real value and shouldn't count the same as a well thought out or informational posts. So you have someone who's posted probably conservatively 40K posts in the spam thread as the forum's leading poster.

There's another poster who just has to post on every single thread at least once. I give credit, I suppose, for making the effort to board-surf in order to do this (as opposed to just continually hitting "reply" in the spam thread), but frequently the posted response is just a smiley. BFD - it contributes absolutely nothing to anything except the member's post count.

I don't care much about post count, though. I've been here long enough to know whose posts and threads are worth reading and whose posts are a self-serving waste of time for all but their author.

Spam-Shamer

Edited by Dr. Sheldon Cooper
  • Like 1

Definitely not. A post count and member title should be something earned, and by earned I don't mean posting nonstop spam.

If you weren't rewarded with member titles then I don't think it would matter, but since they exist here I think the quality of your posting matters.

Member titles aren't really that big of a deal, honestly. I think they should be removed.

Always A Bridesmaid... :wtf:

The title he is referring to is simply based on post count "Solar Federalist, Oracle, Vapor Trails... etc

WTF does "Always a bridesmaid" mean in your case?

Funny story. Someone was asking for a member title and I was telling him that you have to be given one. Somewhere in my explanation I said something like I probably wouldn't get one. I'm always a bridesmaid...

OK, it wasn't that funny of a story.

I was just kidding anyway. Once a poster gets over a couple hundred posts, I feel they're here for a reason other than trying to sell something or troll. Anything over that I don't take much notice of.

And yet I still don't have one :wtf:

Yes, the majority of my posts have been spam, but I've probably made 2000 or so in Rush...

Definitely not. A post count and member title should be something earned, and by earned I don't mean posting nonstop spam.

If you weren't rewarded with member titles then I don't think it would matter, but since they exist here I think the quality of your posting matters.

Member titles aren't really that big of a deal, honestly. I think they should be removed.

The title he is referring to is simply based on post count "Solar Federalist, Oracle, Vapor Trails... etc

WTF does "Always a bridesmaid" mean in your case?

Funny story. Someone was asking for a member title and I was telling him that you have to be given one. Somewhere in my explanation I said something like I probably wouldn't get one. I'm always a bridesmaid...

OK, it wasn't that funny of a story.

I was just kidding anyway. Once a poster gets over a couple hundred posts, I feel they're here for a reason other than trying to sell something or troll. Anything over that I don't take much notice of.

And yet I still don't have one :wtf:

Yes, the majority of my posts have been spam, but I've probably made 2000 or so in Rush...

Aww! We'll call you The King of Spam! How's that? Maybe The Prince of Spam on account of your alleged young age. :)

I'm fine with "spam." I think, there is only the occasional person who spams for the sole purpose of bumping their post count. As many have said, it's obvious who they are, what they're doing and why. I've spent a decent amount of time in those threads where you just post a song title or wave to the person in front of you... it can actually be a fun little way to have some quick, goofy and honest fun. Many TRF members are in this boat. We've all posted silly things that don't really need to be posted. When you do it occasionally it's fine. And what may be a spam post to one may not be a spam post to another.
  • Like 4

Post Popularity Value of the top 10 active "overall top posters":

(likes/posts; values rounded)

01. Your_Lion - 51%

02. Cyclonus X-1 - 38%

03. troutman - 22%

04. laughedatbytime - 21%

05. ILSnowdog - 19%

06. Treeduck - 16%

07. Babycat - 11%

08. lerxt1990 - 9%

09. 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 - 6%

10. Mr. IsNot - 5%

people like what YL/Cyclonus listen to ;)

lerxt / 1-0-0-1 haven't been as active in posting since the board update, I'm assuming.

:cheerleader:

Edited by Mr. IsNot
  • Like 1

Can't stand spam generally and to my knowledge have never posted any, but as long as its kept out of my way, they can fill their boots, I don't have to read it....
  • Like 3

01. Your_Lion - 51%

02. Cyclonus X-1 - 38%

03. troutman - 22%

04. laughedatbytime - 21%

05. ILSnowdog - 19%

06. Treeduck - 16%

07. Babycat - 11%

08. lerxt1990 - 9%

09. 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 - 6%

10. Mr. IsNot - 5%

lerxt / 1-0-0-1 haven't been as active in posting since the board update, I'm assuming.

:cheerleader:

Mine is 32%...

What about those who start a thread just to do it?

When was the last time you looked in SOCN?

It's been many years,

But believe me young lady when it comes to SOCN. I am a veteran of many battles over there. :codger: :D

Edited by troutman

01. Your_Lion - 51%

02. Cyclonus X-1 - 38%

Want "likes"? Listen to more Jethro Tull.

:dweez:

• Like 5

01. Your_Lion - 51%

02. Cyclonus X-1 - 38%

LOL

not worth it to me! There are a few songs I like by JT, but there are many more that I dislike.

01. Your_Lion - 51%

02. Cyclonus X-1 - 38%

LOL

not worth it to me! There are a few songs I like by JT, but there are many more that I dislike.

:madra:

I'm on some forums that grant additional privileges at certain post counts and I have seen mods reset post counts on spammers. I even saw one get changed to a negative number in the thousands.
  • Like 1

Not everyone can be The King. ;)

I honestly don't understand why penis size is important.

You've made many men feel very good about themselves with that post. :D
  • Like 1

:LOL:

:unsure:

That statement is as true as my original statement was!

You and Sheldon have certainly enlightened me in this thread as to why some people care so much about post count... ;) :LOL:

• Like 2

You and Sheldon have certainly enlightened me in this thread as to why some people care so much about post count... ;) :LOL:

You sure you want a smilie with its mouth open after the scary turn this thread has taken? :unsure:
  • Like 1

And thanks for having a sense of humor. :cheers: