What is the SINGLE most overrated Rush song?

savagegrace26

I'm trying hard to think of one overrated song and its hard to think of one........possibly

Natural Science

http://havaluk.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/heart-attack-gif-9.jpg

Right? Epic and deserves to be recognized as such.

• Like 1

From a "radio hit" perspective...NEW WORLD MAN.

(The fact that it was their highest-charting single is a bit mind-boggling to me, when I consider all of their other "radio hits".)

From an "overplayed" perspective...probably CLOSER TO THE HEART.

From a concert perspective...probably THE SPIRIT OF RADIO.

(I could go with it being left off future setlists, personally.)

Also...just noticed people have mentioned it in here, and I agree...

THE GARDEN

The song itself is fine, and it captures some emotion for sure...but I recall people going completely gaga over it from the moment CA was released, and to me, it likely ranks near the bottom in terms of songs on CA.

Also, The Pass. Great message and music, but the use of "dreamers learn to look at the cars" just to have a rhyme for "stars" is contrived. Was Neil channeling Steve Miller?

That lyric is pretty lazy.

I don't think it's lazy at all. Neil's a car lover, and cars mean a lot to men of all ages; they mean freedom, sex, power, independence, success and thrill. Those thin.

gs are lacking when someone is dark and on the "razor's edge" of suicide.

That's very true. When I didn't have a car I wanted to kill myself often.

What other lyrics would have worked?

Dreamers tend to head to the bars

Dreamers try to hide their mental scars

Dreamers tilt their heads to look at Mars

Dreamers pray and wish they were czars

Also, The Pass. Great message and music, but the use of "dreamers learn to look at the cars" just to have a rhyme for "stars" is contrived. Was Neil channeling Steve Miller?

I don't think it's lazy at all. Neil's a car lover, and cars mean a lot to men of all ages; they mean freedom, sex, power, independence, success and thrill. Those thin.

gs are lacking when someone is dark and on the "razor's edge" of suicide.

That's very true. When I didn't have a car I wanted to kill myself often.

What other lyrics would have worked?

Dreamers tend to head to the bars

Dreamers try to hide their mental scars

Dreamers tilt their heads to look at Mars

Dreamers pray and wish they were czars

Drummers wish they could play like Lars
  • Like 1

It's cleverer than you might think.

He was paraphrasing a line from Oscar Wildes play "Lady Windermeres Fan"

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars"

• Like 1

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres is obviously the most qualified.

YYZ, with Freewill close behind.

:eyeroll:

Sorry, I'm not trying to be ironic. I agree with those who are trying to point out that there are only so many Rush songs that can really qualify as "overrated." I don't go nuts for YYZ and Freewill to the degree that most board members or even casual fans do.

You both are blasphemous... :D Freewill, overrated?!?! The solo section is one of the most complicated pieces of rock music, ever. And the fact that they recorded it live and exploded with that kind of unpredictability and precision is almost unthinkable. Everytime I hear it just blows my mind and I've heard hundreds of times. When they wind out of it and Geddy starts that lyric...chills!!!! :rush:

I'm blasphemous? I'm the one that rolled my eyes

Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres is obviously the most qualified.

YYZ, with Freewill close behind.

:eyeroll:

Sorry, I'm not trying to be ironic. I agree with those who are trying to point out that there are only so many Rush songs that can really qualify as "overrated." I don't go nuts for YYZ and Freewill to the degree that most board members or even casual fans do.

You both are blasphemous... :D Freewill, overrated?!?! The solo section is one of the most complicated pieces of rock music, ever. And the fact that they recorded it live and exploded with that kind of unpredictability and precision is almost unthinkable. Everytime I hear it just blows my mind and I've heard hundreds of times. When they wind out of it and Geddy starts that lyric...chills!!!! :rush:

I'm blasphemous? I'm the one that rolled my eyes

You aren't really blasphemous. I'm just picking, man. Just picking.

I'd say Subdivisions or 2112.

Dude, you're hurting my heart. Subdivisions? NO! NO! NO!.

This thread is difficult for me most of these songs I see listed the crowd goes ape shit for at live shows. Doesn't that oppose being overrated?

I think that it's a good song, and it's great to hear live, but it's talked about so much rather than some songs that I think are better.

Between the Wheels

Totally agree with this. I don't get the love for this song. It's good... decent... nothing special. Kind of trudges along at spots. Does nothing for me really.

OK... the solo kicks ass... but that's it.

• Like 1

Between the Wheels

Totally agree with this. I don't get the love for this song. It's good... decent... nothing special. Kind of trudges along at spots. Does nothing for me really.

I agree with everything you said, except about the solo. It's kinda "meh" like the rest of the song, imo.

Between the Wheels

I agree with everything you said, except about the solo. It's kinda "meh" like the rest of the song, imo.

Really? As a guitar play I would think you would dig the solo. Only shining moment in the song for me... and I play all the other stuff. :huh:

I have one that people will loath. but around here at least.....i believe it's true.

Witch Hunt. I never got the love. It's ok i guess but nothing that praise worthy. The only skipper on MP for me.

Mick

I think Witch Hunt is perfect. Emotive and not a note out of place. Any song that paints that clear a picture and makes me feel that way can't be bad.

• Like 1

Between the Wheels

Really? As a guitar play I would think you would dig the solo. Only shining moment in the song for me... and I play all the other stuff. :huh:

The solo has never really done much for me. It's good because it's Alex, but it's not one his better ones, imo.

Rather than start a new thread and get tomatoes thrown at me, I am going to ask my question here.

What is the best live version of The Pass? I usually skip over it when I listen to Presto, but this time I didn't, and I am struck by Alex's guitar which, for some reason, isn't as sharp and clear sounding in live performances of the song that I have heard.

Rather than start a new thread and get tomatoes thrown at me, I am going to ask my question here.

What is the best live version of The Pass? I usually skip over it when I listen to Presto, but this time I didn't, and I am struck by Alex's guitar which, for some reason, isn't as sharp and clear sounding in live performances of the song that I have heard.

I like the Rush in Rio version

I think the "problem" with this thread is defining "overrated". My son and I have often discussed the notion of "overrated" in music and we have determined that it is entirely possible for a song, band, or album to go from under appreciated to overrated rather quickly, and to actually legitimately be both definitions. An example outside the world of Rush....U2. Everything up to Joshua Tree? Very easily argued as under appreciated. Everything between Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby? Likely given the right degree of respect in the context of their entire catalog and their impact on the industry at that time. Everything after Achtung Baby? Ridiculously overrated. *However*, the hype created post Joshua Tree makes everything prior to it suspect of being overrated. War, for example, is a great, great album - but way too many people prop it up as legendary without actually knowing what is on it (because they assume/confuse it with Under A Blood Red Sky). I contend the same thing has happened to a particular portion of the Rush catalog: Everything from 2112 to Signals. On their own and at their time, each album was iconic for its own reasons. Radio, time, and fanboy love, though, has made people sick of a good bit of that era. Does that mean each album or song loses its initial merit? No. Does that mean each album or song doesn't deserve a bit of critique as being overplayed and overhyped? Again, no. It is possible to see those efforts in both contexts. Keep in mind that my all-time favorite album is Permanent Waves.... but I also acknowledge there is a degree of overkill associated with TSOR. But maybe I am just crazy enough to hold two opposing points of view in my mind at the same time.
  • Like 1