Power Windows vs Permanent Waves

len(songs)

Which PW?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which album do YOU like more?

I was disappointed to read that Rush doesn't think much of Permanent Waves. I have already forgotten why, and I just read about it last night. :unsure: Don't get old. :wacko:

That surprises me. They've played all but Jacob's Ladder and Different Strings over the past three tours.

I'd hate to think that they play songs that they don't care for just for the sake of the fans. I mean, I love all of those songs, but I think they should play whatever they enjoy playing the most.

I was disappointed to read that Rush doesn't think much of Permanent Waves. I have already forgotten why, and I just read about it last night. :unsure: Don't get old. :wacko:

That surprises me. They've played all but Jacob's Ladder and Different Strings over the past three tours.

I'd hate to think that they play songs that they don't care for just for the sake of the fans. I mean, I love all of those songs, but I think they should play whatever they enjoy playing the most.

Alex said they will never play Different Strings or Madrigal in concert.

I think Different Strings would be very cool. Madrigal I like, too, and I think some fans would love to hear it. I have tried to learn that song on guitar, and find it very difficult to play.

Actually, Different Strings requires some pretty precise fingerwork, too.

Edited by toymaker

I think Different Strings would be very cool. Madrigal I like, too, and I think some fans would love to hear it. I have tried to learn that song on guitar, and find it very difficult to play.

Actually, Different Strings requires some pretty precise fingerwork, too.

Well, don't hold your breath for either. He said they were strictly studio songs and didn't translate well live.

That's okay, really- the lighter touches don't really fit in with the vibe of the whole live Rush experience.

Having said that, though, I've thought for awhile that Madrigal would make a nice, mellow, low-key first song of the encore.

But maybe that's just because I'm a lover of smaller theater shows, I don't know.

• Like 1

What book are you reading, by the way?

Contents Under Pressure

Ah, Martin Popoff. I always thought he was an interesting choice for an author of a Rush book. I have another book of his, called Riff Kills Man, in which he totally trashes a lot of Rush's later records. I've quoted him elsewhere on the forum. But I did like reading Contents Under Pressure.

Listen to this.

I just read that Power Windows is Geddy's favorite of the 80s and 90s albums, followed by (get ready for this) Roll The Bones and Test For Echo. :o

:eh:

Don't you find it shocking, Len? Neil, in his Neil way, says that if he were a fan, he'd "particularly like those records [Power Windows and Hold Your Fire], just because they are such a feast to listen to...".

They ought to check in here more often I think. :unsure:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

And most people here have high regard for Power Windows and HYF...

He's more a man of the 80s, I guess. If he were a man of the 70s, he'd have warmer feelings for Permanent Waves and the other albums of the 70s that came before it.

And most people here have high regard for Power Windows and HYF...

He's more a man of the 80s, I guess. If he were a man of the 70s, he'd have warmer feelings for Permanent Waves and the other albums of the 70s that came before it.

What does that have to do with what I said?

And I think he generally prefers the work when he felt they "matured" as artists, not based on any simplistic timeframe pigeonholing.

• Like 1

Very close one here. But I went with Power Windows. Like most of the songs I like, by anybody including Rush, if there are good (and sometimes bad) memories attached to an album or song, I'll probably put it in high regard. I find it fascinating that so many songs from power Windows were played on the Clockwork Angels tour.

Power Windows was my first Rush concert experience too and I was already a fan of 3 years when it came out.

I was just having a bit of fun. But yeah, I understand the idea that as a musician one is always most excited about the stuff you do after your growth period. It's maybe hard to see things from the fan's perspective, sometimes. I love pretty much all of their earlier stuff, because I think it is full of raw intensity and passion. Some of the earlier music might not be as well "composed" or arranged or whatever, but it totally smoulders nonetheless. If I'm listening to tunes on shuffle, and I just get finished hearing Lessons or Bastille Day, and then Grand Designs starts - it doesn't seem like the same band. I love that tune, but . . . I just can't say it's better. And Presto, Roll the Bones, Test for Echo . . . wha' happened?

I understand where they are coming from, but they (especially Neil, who seems to get annoyed) appear not to understand the fans.

We listen; they create. It's like your children. The one that causes you the most heartache and worry tends to be your favorite. That's the way their albums/songs are with Rush. The songs that caused them the most to create are their favorites. Except Grace Under Pressure. Which was a nightmare to make all around.

• Like 1

I understand where they are coming from, but they (especially Neil, who seems to get annoyed) appear not to understand the fans.

We listen; they create. It's like your children. The one that causes you the most heartache and worry tends to be your favorite. That's the way their albums/songs are with Rush. The songs that caused them the most to create are their favorites. Except Grace Under Pressure. Which was a nightmare to make all around.

I wasn't a fan of Grace Under Pressure when it came out. I was expecting another Signals kind of album. And remember I was a new fan and wasn't aware they changed their sound and approach after a couple of albums. 1984 turned out to not be a good year for me personally, so it didn't help matters.