7. Jacob's Ladder

8. Grand Designs

9. Manhattan Project

10. Entre Nous

11. Territories

12. The Big Money

13. Mystic Rhythms

14. Emotion Detector

I adjusted my list. Marathon should be ahead of Jacob's Ladder on mine. Marathon made my Top 20 and JL didn't. Just letting you know so your file on me is accurate.

I also need to adjust some of my ratings (this is an always evolving process).

For example, in the "rate Counterparts" thread I rated Nobody's Hero a 9 but it should be a really 8. I'm trying to be as consistent as I can but upon closer examination I realize I that I might be a human being and not perfect.

I will try to straighten myself out and become more machine-like in the future.

• Like 1

No, no, no, you've got it all wrong. :P

1. The Spirit of Radio

2. Jacob's Ladder

3. Natural Science

4. Marathon

5. Freewill

6. The Big Money

7. Mystic Rhythms

8. Grand Designs

9. Manhattan Project

10. Territories

11. Entre Nous

12. Middletown Dreams

13. Different Strings

14. Emotion Detector

The worst of Permanent Waves is worse than the worst of Power Windows. But with its lower lows, PeW has higher highs.

No, no, no, you've got it all wrong. :P

1. The Spirit of Radio

2. Jacob's Ladder

3. Natural Science

4. Marathon

5. Freewill

6. The Big Money

7. Mystic Rhythms

8. Grand Designs

9. Manhattan Project

10. Territories

11. Entre Nous

12. Middletown Dreams

13. Different Strings

14. Emotion Detector

The worst of Permanent Waves is worse than the worst of Power Windows. But with its lower lows, PeW has higher highs.

You put the lowest on PeW over the lowest on PoW :LOL:

• Like 1

All of this Emotion Detector hate...I don't get it

No "hate" from me. That's just where it ranks compared to the other songs. I rate it a solid 8....maybe a 7.5 would be more accurate...would be better withit that awkard keyboard intro.

Edited by savagegrace26

PeW is a monster album. PoW is a good album but in a completely different way. It's like two completely different bands. Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 3

Permanent Waves, written and recorded in the 70s, just has that 70s magic. Power Windows just has that teased-out, shoulder-padded, polyester 80s synth sound.
  • Like 1

"Alex, Neil, what can we do to make sure that our 70s masterpiece has the most creative culmination it can possibly have?"

"Well . . . maybe we can wait until 1980 to release it?"

"Beautiful!"

• Like 4

As Rush surfed on the perfect wave, the apotheosis of the 70s prog rock aesthetic with a hint of a prescient gesture towards the next decade which it by no means embraces, no one could have known that by the middle of the 80s they would be drowning in - awash in - deluged by - the inorganic and inevitably dated sounding synthesizers that characterize Power Windows, an album title that reflects an unfortunate attitude of letting technology do the work for you, flicking a switch and watching the windows roll up and shut out the world of real, from-the-heart music; somewhere from behind those power windows we can hear a band rocking out like the days of old. Just like we knew that under all that teased out hair and make-up, under those giant shoulder pads, behind those giant mirrored sunglasses, behind that barrier of synthetic fabric, behind that little toy bass and those plastic drums, was a person with a soul in his eyes...I guess like that scrawny shirtless dude on the cover.

And I like Power Windows. But, it's nothing like Permanent Waves, which had its creative genesis and explosive realization in the musically heroic and muscular last days of the 70s.

• Like 2

As Rush surfed on the perfect wave, the apotheosis of the 70s prog rock aesthetic with a hint of a prescient gesture towards the next decade which it by no means embraces, no one could have known that by the middle of the 80s they would be drowning in - awash in - deluged by - the inorganic and inevitably dated sounding synthesizers that characterize Power Windows, an album title that reflects an unfortunate attitude of letting technology do the work for you, flicking a switch and watching the windows roll up and shut out the world of real, from-the-heart music; somewhere from behind those power windows we can hear a band rocking out like the days of old. Just like we knew that under all that teased out hair and make-up, under those giant shoulder pads, behind those giant mirrored sunglasses, behind that barrier of synthetic fabric, behind that little toy bass and those plastic drums, was a person with a soul in his eyes...I guess like that scrawny shirtless dude on the cover.

And I like Power Windows. But, it's nothing like Permanent Waves, which had its creative genesis and explosive realization in the musically heroic and muscular last days of the 70s.

Yes. This.

Yes. This.

Thanks, man. I spent more time than I should have on that one, not really being a naturally gifted writer. Now I'm way behind in my work, but hey, some things really matter.

I was disappointed to read that Rush doesn't think much of Permanent Waves. I have already forgotten why, and I just read about it last night. :unsure: Don't get old. :wacko:

I guess because it all happened in the 70s...?

:)

Edited by toymaker

I was disappointed to read that Rush doesn't think much of Permanent Waves. I have already forgotten why, and I just read about it last night. :unsure: Don't get old. :wacko:

I guess because it all happened in the 70s...?

:)

They dislike Grace Under Pressure even more. Too many bad memories associated with making the album.

Edited by Lorraine