The David Bowie Thread

ReRushed

It's eerie that the opening lines to Lazarus are:

"Look up here, I'm in heaven"

"I've got scars that can't be seen"

He knew his time was not long and that's why Blackstar was released on his birthday

REST IN PEACE DAVID BOWIE :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:

Edited by KW84
  • Like 4

I think I saw it on the Bowie A&E special from years back, Bowie told a story about how he watched the Uncle Floyd Show with, get this, Iggy Pop and John Lennon. Can you imagine hanging out on a weekday afternoon watching television with David Bowie, Iggy Pop and John Lennon?

Not only was he a great artist, David Bowie was also a great story teller.

He was a special entertainer and with all his "artsy fartsy" pretenses he never lost his sense of humor and humility.

Was he perfect? Probably not. But the art he shared with the world was damn close.

• Like 2

My husband had no details. Does anyone know what happened?

He had been suffering lung cancer for about eighteen months. That's about as specific a detail as I've seen about it.

Most all the rest of us are in shock about it. This past Friday was his 69th birthday- the same day that his newest album was released, also.

RIP :rose:

Honestly, I could cry. We go back such a long way, and I have so many memories connected to him and his music. The most vivid is the morning of December 8, 1980. My radio alarm went off, and I awoke to the news that John Lennon had been killed. The best friend I ever had in my life had died not even two weeks earlier, so I was in bad shape already. As soon as the WNEW FM disc jockey, made the announcement, they followed it with a song from David's just released album - Ashes to Ashes. I loved that song and ran out that day and bought the album.

Ashes to ashes.

• Like 11

Honestly, I could cry. We go back such a long way, and I have so many memories connected to him and his music. The most vivid is the morning of December 8, 1980. My radio alarm went off, and I awoke to the news that John Lennon had been killed. The best friend I ever had in my life had died not even two weeks earlier, so I was in bad shape already. As soon as the WNEW FM disc jockey, made the announcement, they followed it with a song from David's just released album - Ashes to Ashes. I loved that song and ran out that day and bought the album.

Ashes to ashes.

I always feel strange 'liking' sadness, but this is a great post.

• Like 2

When I was a college freshman Bowie had his Glass Spider tour and my girlfriend wanted to go. It was almost impossible to get tickets, but I wound up spending a ghastly amount for them. I can't recall if it was 75 each or for the pair, but either way, they were expensive. Most shows were 18-20 dollars at the time. But to this day, only Gilmour and his Pink Floyd tour a few years later put on a better visual show.
  • Like 1

I was never a humongous fan but my mom was. so i grew up hearing all his output through the 80's. I pretty much respect him for his vision and artistry. i have his debut on. even that was just captivating.

RIP mr Bowie.

Mick

• Like 1

What was is it about him that has affected us so? I'm at a loss.

He pointed out that it is okay to be different.

It was a lot more than that for me.. He wasn't any more odd than Alice Cooper back then. I never even considered him different, or Alice odd. That's just the way things were back then. Nothing surprised us much.

• Like 2