The David Bowie Thread

ReRushed

I just wrapped up my David Bowie marathon, which consisted of every studio, live, compilation and box set in chronicle order.

Clocking in at over 1100 songs...it was a true journey of great fun, great music and history.

I was starting to get very sad coming to this end of this marathon, still mourning the loss of this amazing musician.

Just then, I looked to my right and there on the shelf, among all of the other music, are David Bowie's CDs..

The music will live on forever and I am so very thankful today for the wonderful gift of his music that David shared with the world.

http://www.mindspotresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/David-Bowie.jpg

Say... how many hours did just over 1100 songs take?

79 Hours, 21 Minutes, 7 Seconds

• Like 2

I just wrapped up my David Bowie marathon, which consisted of every studio, live, compilation and box set in chronicle order.

Clocking in at over 1100 songs...it was a true journey of great fun, great music and history.

I was starting to get very sad coming to this end of this marathon, still mourning the loss of this amazing musician.

Just then, I looked to my right and there on the shelf, among all of the other music, are David Bowie's CDs..

The music will live on forever and I am so very thankful today for the wonderful gift of his music that David shared with the world.

http://www.mindspotresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/David-Bowie.jpg

Say... how many hours did just over 1100 songs take?

79 Hours, 21 Minutes, 7 Seconds

Good gawd - that's incredible! :o :ebert:

The American Library Association has reissued their David Bowie READ poster! I just bought one....http://www.alastore.ala.org/detail.aspx?ID=11669David_Bowie_Poster_300.jpg Edited by librarian

Got Blackstar from iTunes recently. This last release pared with a new familiarity with Bowie and his hits as well as loving his standout release Ziggy Stardust, I'm being very reminded of how I came to love Rush as my second favorite band (first a familiarity with the hits, then 2112, then Clockwork Angles, lastly AFTK and they were my permanent (second) (w)faves). I'm having an inkling of an idea that David Bowie might fill my long open slot for fourth favorite musician/artist, previously considered artists including Journey, Styx, The Flaming Lips, U2, Yes, and a few others.

1. Queen

2. Rush

3. Muse

4. Bowie?

Only Time Will Tell...

I cried when he died. He was a genius that deserved to live more.

Amazing talented artist, the world needs more people like him.

Many of us love you, Bowie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8NBpfkpyZw

uǝɥʇɐǝɥ is a very underrated album. Along With Blackstar & The Next Day it's his best since Scary Monsters/Let's Dance. 1.Outside and Reality are also quite good.

• Like 3

Since I learned about Bowie, since his death, he's become one of my musical heroes, much in the same vein (but not on the same level) as Freddie Mercury. If his music has as great of an effect on me as his character and story as I slowly continue going through it (and some of it has so far), he'll be certainly competing with Genesis for the position of my fourth favorite band/artist, a slot that's been empty for years.
  • Like 4

Went to the record store yesterday and nearly got my next Bowie album but decided against it since the records were all so expensive and I was already spending $23 on quite a stack (thank you $1 bin 10 for $5 deal). So I've decide next time I go there to buy a record I'm walking out with a new Bowie CD at least. I have Blackstar, Ziggy, S2S, and Scary Monsters, plus I've heard Hunky Dory. What should my next step be? (And when I was thinking about getting one of the Bowie albums they had there yesterday, I was leaning towards Aladin Sane)

Went to the record store yesterday and nearly got my next Bowie album but decided against it since the records were all so expensive and I was already spending $23 on quite a stack (thank you $1 bin 10 for $5 deal). So I've decide next time I go there to buy a record I'm walking out with a new Bowie CD at least. I have Blackstar, Ziggy, S2S, and Scary Monsters, plus I've heard Hunky Dory. What should my next step be? (And when I was thinking about getting one of the Bowie albums they had there yesterday, I was leaning towards Aladin Sane)

I would go with Low, though you can't miss with Aladdin Sane.

The "Berlin trilogy" is a must. "Heroes" and Lodger are also great.

• Like 1

You'll get different answers from many people, but I'd go with either Aladdin Sane or Diamond Dogs. The Man Who Sold The World is great too.

• Like 1

You'll get different answers from many people, but I'd go with either Aladdin Sane or Diamond Dogs. The Man Who Sold The World is great too.

Those three, and Young Americans, Low, The Next Day, uǝɥʇɐǝH

• Like 3

Went back with $20 music/birthday money in pocket and my mind set on Bowie. The selection of CDs was much more limited, but most all the vinyl I saw last time was still there. Aladdin Sane was right at the front of the stack, and after brief deliberation between it, the man who sold the world, and space oddity, I went for Aladdin. Listened through for the first time about an hour ago (back on Who's Next now). An interesting, less engaging but more experimental, fusion of Ziggy's glam rock mastery and Hunky Dory's music hall and strangeness. Like it a lot, will revisit shortly. Ty!
  • Like 2

Went back with $20 music/birthday money in pocket and my mind set on Bowie. The selection of CDs was much more limited, but most all the vinyl I saw last time was still there. Aladdin Sane was right at the front of the stack, and after brief deliberation between it, the man who sold the world, and space oddity, I went for Aladdin. Listened through for the first time about an hour ago (back on Who's Next now). An interesting, less engaging but more experimental, fusion of Ziggy's glam rock mastery and Hunky Dory's music hall and strangeness. Like it a lot, will revisit shortly. Ty!

Trust me, don't buy Space Oddity. Listen to that one before you buy it

• Like 1

Trust me, don't buy Space Oddity. Listen to that one before you buy it

It's so...boring...but everything else I've heard has been great!

• Like 1