The David Bowie Thread

ReRushed

My dad and I's copy of Ziggy Stardust finally came in and I'm on my second listen through. Wow, Bowie was a master of rock and roll, in all seriousness. Every one of these sounds like a bond fide classic. Why don't I ever hear these old tunes on the radio?
  • Like 3

My dad and I's copy of Ziggy Stardust finally came in and I'm on my second listen through. Wow, Bowie was a master of rock and roll, in all seriousness. Every one of these sounds like a bond fide classic. Why don't I ever hear these old tunes on the radio?

You picked a great place to start...

...classic Bowie to say the least.

• Like 3

I'm just amazed at how he was able to perfectly encapsulate the entire essence of rock and roll, and I mean from Please Please Me straight through The Astonishing and onward, in 11 little tunes. If I wanted to show someone what rock music was in under an hour, this would be the disc I gave them, even beating out Aerosmith or the Stones.
  • Like 1

I'm just amazed at how he was able to perfectly encapsulate the entire essence of rock and roll, and I mean from Please Please Me straight through The Astonishing and onward, in 11 little tunes. If I wanted to show someone what rock music was in under an hour, this would be the disc I gave them, even beating out Aerosmith or the Stones.

that's a strong statement ... you will need to make me a copy :)

• Like 2

Funny movie... well I think it is, with David Bowie songs covered throughout the movie by Seu Jorge.

Life Aquatic w/Bill Murray

http://youtu.be/p7yoT-XOGg8

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/o-wes-anderson-the-life-aquatic-facebook_zpstrlqn8yj.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

Thank you, RGLT, for putting up these Bowie versions of Springsteen songs! I had never heard the Bowie "Growin' Up" before, and his treatment of it is just wonderful. One of my favorite songs anyway and always nice to hear again, thanks !!!

• Like 2

I just wrapped up my David Bowie marathon, which consisted of every studio, live, compilation and box set in chronicle order.

Clocking in at over 1100 songs...it was a true journey of great fun, great music and history.

I was starting to get very sad coming to this end of this marathon, still mourning the loss of this amazing musician.

Just then, I looked to my right and there on the shelf, among all of the other music, are David Bowie's CDs..

The music will live on forever and I am so very thankful today for the wonderful gift of his music that David shared with the world.

http://www.mindspotresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/David-Bowie.jpg

• Like 7

I just wrapped up my David Bowie marathon, which consisted of every studio, live, compilation and box set in chronicle order.

Clocking in at over 1100 songs...it was a true journey of great fun, great music and history.

I was starting to get very sad coming to this end of this marathon, still mourning the loss of this amazing musician.

Just then, I looked to my right and there on the shelf, among all of the other music, are David Bowie's CDs..

The music will live on forever and I am so very thankful today for the wonderful gift of his music that David shared with the world.

As many people, I appreciate his music. His legacy is unquestionable. :clap:

• Like 2

I listened to Blackstar for the first time since he passed and it's just as brilliant as the first time I listened to it. As a matter of fact as I am typing this, I am now on my fifth listen! :LOL:
  • Like 2

I listened to Blackstar for the first time since he passed and it's just as brilliant as the first time I listened to it. As a matter of fact as I am typing this, I am now on my fifth listen! :LOL:

I think it is his best album. It's an all-time great.

• Like 2

I've tried branching out a little with Bowie now, I'm only know the 70's-80's and 2010's stuff well. I decided to try Reality and 1. Outside today. Not really clicking with me at the moment but hope they grow more later. Earthling and Heathen are a bit higher on my list though, they were real fun!
  • Like 2

I've tried branching out a little with Bowie now, I'm only know the 70's-80's and 2010's stuff well. I decided to try Reality and 1. Outside today. Not really clicking with me at the moment but hope they grow more later. Earthling and Heathen are a bit higher on my list though, they were real fun!

Outside is a very underrated album :finbar:

Kinda off topic but that gif is kind of freaking me out! :LOL:

• Like 1

Should I get rid of it?

Say... how many hours did just over 1100 songs take?

• Like 1

Should I get rid of it?

No way! :)
  • Like 1