Hold Your Fire vs Test for Echo

savagegrace26

Hold Your Fire vs Test for Echo  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Hold Your Fire vs Test for Echo

TFE. I only like 4 songs from HYF but like 8 on TFE.

Lee has some pretty great bass chops on Hold Yer Fire, even on a song like High Water.

HYF's got some of geddy's best bass-playing. way jazzier (for rush standards) than their other stuff. unfortunately, the only people who seem to notice are the freaks like us who love the album.

• Like 3

Lee has some pretty great bass chops on Hold Yer Fire, even on a song like High Water.

HYF's got some of geddy's best bass-playing. way jazzier (for rush standards) than their other stuff. unfortunately, the only people who seem to notice are the freaks like us who love the album.

I like the bass playing on the album, I just don't care for the songs that much. Plus I've never really cared for the sound of the Wal bass. Sounds too flubby to me.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

I like the bass playing on the album, I just don't care for the songs that much. Plus I've never really cared for the sound of the Wal bass. Sounds too flubby to me.

Good word . . . flubby. I always thought it was more like a "doink doink doink" sound. But I can hear some flubbiness, too.

Hold Your Fire.

HYF has Tai Shan that I could do without.

TFE has Dog Years and Half The World.

The music is great on both albums but I find the vocals a bit disconnected to the music on TFE, so that's why I'm choosing HYF.

"Disconnected" is a good word for the album in general. It seems very uninspired by the boys collectively. Neil's re-tooled drumming is cool, but is best appreciated in the video from A Work in Progress.

I really like Time and Motion, though.

• Like 2

Hold Your Fire.

HYF has Tai Shan that I could do without.

TFE has Dog Years and Half The World.

The music is great on both albums but I find the vocals a bit disconnected to the music on TFE, so that's why I'm choosing HYF.

"Disconnected" is a good word for the album in general. It seems very uninspired by the boys collectively. Neil's re-tooled drumming is cool, but is best appreciated in the video from A Work in Progress.

I really like Time and Motion, though.

After I wrote my post I had to listen to the album. And it feels uninspired and quickly put together. I don't know if it holds water but I always imagine HYF being way influenced by Geddy, and TFE influenced by Alex.

• Like 2

Tai Shan and High Water are awesome songs.

Underrating them is overrated.

I just don't like their sound. I know I like the general sound of the 80's albums better than most but those two, plus the last two on Power Windows, just aren't my style (though I do like Mystic Rhythms either way). Very soft even by HYF standards...

I just don't like their sound. I know I like the general sound of the 80's albums better than most but those two, plus the last two on Power Windows, just aren't my style (though I do like Mystic Rhythms either way). Very soft even by HYF standards...

I honestly couldn't change any moment on HYF. To me it is complete perfection. So I guess I should be satisfied with being alone in that opinion.

• Like 1

pardon my laughter at this particular poll. My favorite album up against my least favorite. Hold Your Fire all the way is my favorite.

pardon my laughter at this particular poll. My favorite album up against my least favorite. Hold Your Fire all the way is my favorite.

YAY! Are you also a fan of Tai Shan? And High Water?

How i wish they ended HYF with Turn the Page.........missed it by 2 songs lol.

Mick

WRONG

How i wish they ended HYF with Turn the Page.........missed it by 2 songs lol.

Mick

WRONG

This from a guy who called LADY FREAKIN' GAGA..........a legend :laughing guy: :D

Mick

I make ONE MISTAKE hahaha

• Like 1

I honestly couldn't change any moment on HYF. To me it is complete perfection. So I guess I should be satisfied with being alone in that opinion.

You aren't alone in that opinion, Segue.

I thought you already knew that!

I hardly ever hear anybody rave about Tai Shan or High Water.

Have you seen any of SG26's posts about HYF? He's a pretty staunch defender of High Water at least...

Have you seen any of SG26's posts about HYF? He's a pretty staunch defender of High Water at least...

I picked at the single most underrated Rush song...and also this:

http://www.therushfo...ikes-high-water

And I also like Tai Shan (rate it a 7) but can see why people hate it. But it's a very atmospheric and beautiful piece to me but still the weakest from HYF.

Edited by savagegrace26