Hold Your Fire vs Test for Echo

savagegrace26

Hold Your Fire vs Test for Echo  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Hold Your Fire vs Test for Echo

Hold Your Fire

One of Rush's finest albums, up there with Hemispheres and Moving Pictures.

• Like 1

If you asked this same question a few months ago, then I would easy have voted for Hold Your Fire. But I have been listening a lot to Test For Echo lately, and I really like it, its some great songs on it! So I think Im gonna vote for Test For Echo!

If you asked this same question a few months ago, then I would easy have voted for Hold Your Fire. But I have been listening a lot to Test For Echo lately, and I really like it, its some great songs on it! So I think Im gonna vote for Test For Echo!

I will admit to liking T4E a lot more than I expected to based on the flack it gets from many fans, within and outside the confines of this forum.

yeah i'd say HYF too, the songwriting is defo slightly higher standard where the band clearly slap bang in the middle of the groove but, after playing it to oblivion a couple decades ago i very rarely listen to it these days, in fact it almost seems kinda dated or at the very least something of it's own time.

whereas i still play T4E these days and it never has that dated feel to it. just sounds a rockin album of any era, like permanent waves or VT or something.

Test For Echo. I like the return to hard rock that most of Hold Your Fire lacks save for a couple tracks. Hold Your Fire has that 4 track run of awesomeness Prime Mover-Turn The Page but it's plagued by a number of other bad songs. Test For Echo has a couple bad tracks as well but less so than Hold Your Fire.

I guess it really boils down to the gut-wrenching flute pop of Tai Shan or the cringe-worthy vocals on Dog Years ;)

• Like 1

HOLD

YOUR

FIRE

I really don't get why this album gets so much shit from the fans. Tai Shan was a misstep, but how can you go wrong with Mission, Force Ten, Lock and Key, and Time Stand Still?

• Like 1

I love Test for Echo, but Hold Your Fire is just awesome, in every sense of the word. I even enjoy Tai Dhan and High Water. Time Stand Still and Lock and Key are two of their finest songs ever, certainly underrated in my book. Hold Your Fire rocks.
  • Like 1

T4E is a solid rock album without any real classics. One of the few Rush albums I only listen to every 5 years or so. HYF has the 3 worst Rush songs ever with Tai Shan, High Water and Second Nature, exemplifying how the band went too far with the pop-synth thing. But the rest of HYF is good to great with some real classics. HYF wins.

No brainer for T4E. HYF has a couple of excellent songs, but there's a few really bad ones and a lot of just ok ones. T4E has only one song I consider bad, and most are in the very good range. It's a much more consistent record with a better sound and feel.
  • Like 1

This is a good match up. Hold Your Fire is the point at which the synth era, which does have some good material, went too far, and Test For Echo is an entirely forgettable 90s album. Neither one sees the light of day unless I'm going through a Rush binge and need the diversity.
  • Like 1

TFE. I only like 4 songs from HYF but like 8 on TFE.

Lee has some pretty great bass chops on Hold Yer Fire, even on a song like High Water.

• Like 1

TFE. I only like 4 songs from HYF but like 8 on TFE.

Lee has some pretty great bass chops on Hold Yer Fire, even on a song like High Water.

Maybe so but I don't really care for the songs.