HBO - Oct 17, 2014 Sonic Highways

custom55

Watching episode 2, Washington DC. Episode 1, Chicago, was excellent.

ETA: Episode 2 was not bearly as good, IMO.

Edited by goose

:bump: :bump:

Time to give this a bump! I watched the Austin episode (#4) again tonight and it is AWESOME! This series is still on HBO in reruns, on HBO go, on Amazon Prime (and maybe other?) streaming, and out on DVD and Blu-ray so your local library may have it by now. Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters traveled to 8 different US cities with a musical heritage, recording a song for a new album in each. Grohl has such a fascination with the music history in each city and interviews all kinds of musicians to explore it and talks about the recording studios (not LeStudio, but we can dream) and has such an affection for it all; he is just the best.

The Nashville, New Orleans and Seattle episodes are pretty interesting but the Austin one just RULES. It talks about music history from the 50's to the present day and interviews (don't even think I got them all) Steve Earle, Billy Gibbons, Bonnie Raitt, Jimmy Vaughan, Willie Nelson, Gary Clark Jr., Jimmie Dale Gilmore and, although he is a pretty quiet guy, Roky Erickson from the 13th Floor Elevators. It talks a lot about Stevie Ray Vaughan, the blues scene, Austin City Limits tv show ( Mick, they show Tom Waits !! ) and the punk scene with the Butthole Surfers !! All in less than one hour; it was fascinating and my husband enjoyed seeing it for the first time. Bug a friend for their HBOgo sign in and watch the Austin episode, it is really good. :)