Better Lyricists than Neil?

Fridge

Don't get me wrong, I think Neil has written some mighty fine stuff in his time, but I don't subscribe to the opinion that some seem to have that he is the best of all time, and I can think of quite a few who I consider better eg:

Justin Sullivan (New Model Army)

Bob Dylan (obviously)

Bruce Springsteen

and quite a few more...interested in peeps opinions on this.

• Like 2

I don't care all that much about lyrics except in cases where they really resonate with me or where they're so awful/repetitive that they actually detract from my enjoyment of the song. Neil has delivered both varieties in his time. I do like the work he has done in general—when I've taken notice of it, that is.

I don't have a favorite lyricist or one I consider "the best," but Ian Anderson, when on his game, can come up with some truly fantastic stuff.

• Like 3

Neil has written some fantastically great lyrics. He has also written some true stinkers, true turds. BUT, I do think his best stuff compares favorably with other, and more consistent, lyricists.. Edited by ReRushed

Neil is definitely hit-or-miss as a wordsmith. Thankfully for him, the hits are better known than the misses. But if you want a list of ten, here it is:

Roger Waters

Bob Dylan

Tom Lehrer (Weird addition, but look him up. Big influence on Weird Al.)

Joni Mitchell

Nick Cave

David Bowie

Aimee Mann (Surprise!)

Bernie Taupin

Pete Townshend

Billy Joel

Edited by ThatLightInYourEyes