Better Lyricists than Neil?

Fridge

this guys is better... He wrote the lyrics and music for Quadrophenia ? Enough said.

I got a Gibson

Without a case

But I can't get that even tanned look on my face.

Ill fitting clothes

I blend in the crowd,

Fingers so clumsy

Voice too loud.

But I'm one.

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/PeteT_sg_zpseced142d.jpg

http://youtu.be/7wK2icsz_n0

Edited by custom55
  • Like 8

this guys is better... He wrote the lyrics and music for Quadrophenia ? Enough said.

I got a Gibson

Without a case

Ill fitting clothes

I blend in the crowd,

Fingers so clumsy

Voice too loud.

But I'm one.

Well, okay, also hit and miss. Plus, Townshend is MUCH weirder.

Edited by ThatLightInYourEyes

I got a Gibson

Without a case

Ill fitting clothes

I blend in the crowd,

Fingers so clumsy

Voice too loud.

But I'm one.

http://youtu.be/7wK2icsz_n0

A zillion times, yes. He is. He's even better than Justin Hayward.

Pete Townshend all the way!

Mark Kozelek

Mark Eitzel from American Music Club, here's an example

Also, some of the great great lyricists of the Great American Songbook from the past. I was just listening to "Nature Boy" on my way to work today (from the Bennet/Gaga album) and those lyrics are simply great.

In my book, Neil is nowhere near what a great lyricist is. He's stiff, preposterous, too literal, rigid, cold. That's not to say that I don't love him.

• Like 1

I agree with Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, and Paul Simon...Robert Hunter is another, and hasn't been mentioned (until just now). Also, some of Chris Robinson's lesser-known songs are absolute gems.

And I hesitate to classify any of this echelon of lyricists we're talking about as either better or worse than another. It's just a matter of preference, in a lot of cases.

Neil is a fantastic lyricist. Sure, there have been a few clunkers. That's just life.

• Like 2

Agreed, Neil Young is a great lyricist. Not sure why it's in this section of the forum though...

err...because it's not about Rush

This was in the Rush section before you replied...

well I never put it there...must be gremlins....

• Like 1

Besides some aforementioned like Lennon, Harrison, Townshend, Neil Young...I would say that Steven Wilson, Peter Hammill, early Gabriel, early Fish...and last not least Sir Paul McCartney, play in the same league as Peart. There's no one better for me. I mean, I love all of their lyrics equally.

"It's only knock and knowall but I like it." :smoke:

• Like 1

John Linnel (of They Might Be Giants) sample: "I could never sleep my way to the top, cause my alarm clock always wakes me back up"

Panda Bear (of Animal Collective) sample: "There isn't much that I feel I need, a solid soul, and the blood I bleed, but with a little girl, and by my spouse, I only want a proper house"

Weird Al (of Weird Al) sample:"...Just now you said, you literally couldn't get out of bed, that really makes me want to literally smack a crowbar through your stupid head"

It's difficult to compare if they're not writing in the same genre.

I obviously like what Neil Peart has written and I also enjoy these:

Maynard James Keenan

Peter Gabriel

Justin Hayward

Pete Townshend

Jim Morrison

I like them in no particular order because they all write different material.

Pete Townshend all the way!

Mark Kozelek

Mark Eitzel from American Music Club, here's an example

http://youtu.be/rXcquTZY81g

Also, some of the great great lyricists of the Great American Songbook from the past. I was just listening to "Nature Boy" on my way to work today (from the Bennet/Gaga album) and those lyrics are simply great.

In my book, Neil is nowhere near what a great lyricist is. He's stiff, preposterous, too literal, rigid, cold. That's not to say that I don't love him.

Very cool, I'm a serious Mark Kozelek enthusiast (although I don't care for his recent output). I didn't mention him because I assumed no one else on this board has heard of him.

• Like 1

I agree with Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, and Paul Simon...Robert Hunter is another, and hasn't been mentioned (until just now). Also, some of Chris Robinson's lesser-known songs are absolute gems.

And I hesitate to classify any of this echelon of lyricists we're talking about as either better or worse than another. It's just a matter of preference, in a lot of cases.

Neil is a fantastic lyricist. Sure, there have been a few clunkers. That's just life.

The Black Crowes are my all-time favorite band, but I didn't bother to mention Chris because I assumed too many board members only associate the BC with Hard to Handle (cover tune) and Jealous Again (not brilliant in the lyric department).

But yes, Chris wrote some outstanding lyrics: Feathers, Title Song, Descending, Cursed Diamond, Sometimes Salvation, Under a Mountain, Girl from a Pawnshop...

I didn't bother to mention Chris because I assumed too many board members only associate the BC with Hard to Handle (cover tune) and Jealous Again (not brilliant in the lyric department).

Agreed...that's why I said lesser-known gems (without actually naming any).

But yes, Chris wrote some outstanding lyrics: Feathers, Title Song, Descending, Cursed Diamond, Sometimes Salvation

I would add There's Gold in Them Hills and Ballad in Urgency to those as well, just off the top of my head.

From his solo catalogue- Barefoot by the Cherry Tree, Better Than the Sun, The Never Empty Table, Star or Stone...maybe a couple of others.

And I can't believe I forgot to mention Jon Anderson- good call.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I think Neil has written some mighty fine stuff in his time, but I don't subscribe to the opinion that some seem to have that he is the best of all time, and I can think of quite a few who I consider better eg:

Justin Sullivan (New Model Army)

Bob Dylan (obviously)

Bruce Springsteen

and quite a few more...interested in peeps opinions on this.

Paul McCartney

Paul also blows away Lennon when it comes to writing lyrics.

The only reason many of the credits read LENNON MCARTNEy is because it was done alphabetically.

John would bring like four songs to the table. George would bring like two. Then Paul would come in with 20 songs.

Sir Paul is the best period. Even the Wings stuff is great!