I hate jeans shopping

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Mara

Mara

Hindu Goddess of Death

• Members *
  • 25526 posts
  • Interests:Reading (historical fiction, Cold War political intrigue esp). Playing with my dogs, hiking, working out like a maniac. Thoroughbred racing.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:53 PM

I live in jeans.  We're allowed to wear them in the office, which is nice.

But DAMMIT, why is it so hard to find a pair that fits perfectly?  I am a muscular 5'3, 130 lbs. and I know that makes me a bit of a challenge to fit - small waist, but developed legs.  But even before I started hitting the weight room seriously I still had a tough time finding the perfect pair.

I recently bought 2 pair of Levis but returned them the next day when I found out they had stretch material incorporated.  I hate stretch fabric - by midday everything is all stretched and not bouncing back and I spend the entire afternoon trying to keep them from falling down.

Skinny jeans look stupid on short people with short torsos and muscular calves.  They are also uncomfortable.  

The 2 pairs I have now that I like best are Ralph Laurens, size 2 straight leg.  But even these tend to stretch out too much and try to fall down.

I hate to shop, by the way.

Sponsored Post

#2 Janie

Janie

Rush Caption Queen

• Members *
  • 16549 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:00 PM

Look for jeans with some spandex. They'll still stretch a bit but spandex holds its shape better and will bounce back. Not fully but enough not to cause a big saggy look. Jeans can be tough because of the denim material. Are you game to try other types of pants? You'll find that they'll have more spandex woven in and you will have a much better chance of little "sag." Also, I would ask a sales person to help select the best choices. If you're comfortable with that.

#3 treeduck

treeduck

Tenacious T

• Members *
  • 83442 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:03 PM

I've never noticed any problems.

:huh:

#4 troutman

troutman

My views are fishy

• Members *
  • 44549 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:06 PM

View PostMara, on 13 October 2014 - 02:53 PM, said:

I live in jeans.  We're allowed to wear them in the office, which is nice.

But DAMMIT, why is it so hard to find a pair that fits perfectly?  I am a muscular 5'3, 130 lbs. and I know that makes me a bit of a challenge to fit - small waist, but developed legs.  But even before I started hitting the weight room seriously I still had a tough time finding the perfect pair.

I recently bought 2 pair of Levis but returned them the next day when I found out they had stretch material incorporated.  I hate stretch fabric - by midday everything is all stretched and not bouncing back and I spend the entire afternoon trying to keep them from falling down.

Skinny jeans look stupid on short people with short torsos and muscular calves.  They are also uncomfortable.  

The 2 pairs I have now that I like best are Ralph Laurens, size 2 straight leg.  But even these tend to stretch out too much and try to fall down.

Because there not made like when we grew up. :codger:

#5 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27718 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:22 PM

Jean shopping blows if you are not "average" it seems. I at 6' 180 lbs and pretty evenly proportioned I can find jeans with my eyes closed. My wife, son and daughter all have trouble. My wife has short legs and is overweight. They need to be petite but large enough to accommodate her weight. Very depressing for her. My son at 6' 6" and around 260 lbs forget about it. Big and tall shops are mostly for short and very overweight folks. My daughter is barely 5' and thick in the legs and butt. I have it made but its sad to see that they have such a hard time with it (especially my wife ). It can be a very depressing and emotional endeavor.....

#6 RushCanuck

RushCanuck

From Eh to Zed

• Members *
  • 3975 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:44 PM

View PostMara, on 13 October 2014 - 02:53 PM, said:

I hate to shop also... I have a hard time finding clothes that I like.  I drag my husband along to witness 'the hunt' so he can see what I go through.  He easily finds nice men's clothes, on the other hand.

#7 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24273 posts
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:20 PM

Posted Image

#8 Cyclonus X-1

Cyclonus X-1

Yurts >>>>>>> Gers

• Members *
  • 61367 posts
  • Interests:Music, literature, sports.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:06 PM

Shopping in general is hellish, but I usually don't suffer much consternation while in search of new jeans.  Being that I am 6'1 and don't weigh all that much, I simply head to the moderately tall thin-dudes section and find a nice pair of black ones.  Then I'm out the door lickety-split.

#9 Mara

Mara

Hindu Goddess of Death

• Members *
  • 25526 posts
  • Interests:Reading (historical fiction, Cold War political intrigue esp). Playing with my dogs, hiking, working out like a maniac. Thoroughbred racing.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 10:10 PM

^^^ Guys have it easier - you don't have hips to deal with.  If you're fit - and I know you are - it's a straight line from hip abductors up to waist.

#10 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21751 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:53 AM

I've never had much trouble finding jeans that fit, I usually head to the mens dept. and get jeans there. Womens jeans for the most part are not that well made. The fabric is really thin. I guess they think women will buy more clothes more often so they can make them like crap.

#11 Mara

Mara

Hindu Goddess of Death

• Members *
  • 25526 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:18 AM

That's another thing that frosts my cookies - whoever said above that "they don't make 'em like they used to" is damn skippy.  Thin crappy denim, even from the jean-snob lines like Seven For All Mankind.  Nuh-uh, not paying $300 for something that's going to wear out in a year.

#12 umoveme

umoveme

California Sundress SILLY

• Members *
  • 4266 posts
  • Interests:music, fishing, hiking in the Sierras, dog training, traveling, being creative...

Posted 19 October 2014 - 09:04 AM

I have a butt and some thighs. I always find a pair I like when I go to the Lucky store. The chicks there know all of the fits etc. I've been wearing Lucky and Hudson for years. Look for big pocket styles too.

#13 Chicken hawk

Chicken hawk

The Sphere

• Members
  • 8319 posts
  • Interests:The Ocean

Posted 19 October 2014 - 12:48 PM

YEARS AGO THERE Was  no such thing as prewashed!      Not a big variety either...but also not as expensive.  Wrangler was a biggie.

#14 troutman

troutman

My views are fishy

• Members *
  • 44549 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 01:38 PM

View PostMara, on 14 October 2014 - 08:18 AM, said:

That's another thing that frosts my cookies - whoever said above that "they don't make 'em like they used to" is damn skippy.  Thin crappy denim, even from the jean-snob lines like Seven For All Mankind.  Nuh-uh, not paying $300 for something that's going to wear out in a year.

Here I am. :codger: :P

#15 librarian

librarian

Aquarian Librarian

• Members
  • 5709 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 01:44 PM

:codger: I buy my jeans at this point only from the Bean!

The only jeans that fit and have them it tall and short and skinny and all

Edited by librarian, 20 October 2014 - 01:45 PM.

#16 Mara

Mara

Hindu Goddess of Death

• Members *
  • 25526 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 02:02 PM

^^Thanks - I may have to try LL Bean next.  I know anything they make will be top quality.  Are the sizes pretty true to what they tell you?

I bought a pair of the Ralph Laurens n Saturday at TJ Maxx.  Half price - cool!  The Maxx is usually quite chaotic so I skipped the dressing room step.

Got them home, went to try them on - and SHIT!  They were the f*ckin' skinny style.  I got one foot and about 1/3 of my lower leg into them before they stuck at the calf.  Back they go today; at least it's on the way home.

Edited by Mara, 20 October 2014 - 02:03 PM.

#17 Aikenrooster

Aikenrooster

Freightdreamliner

• Members *
  • 8725 posts
  • Interests:Empathy.

Posted 20 October 2014 - 07:17 PM

I hate jeans.  They're overpriced for the thinness of the material and you'll freeze in really cold weather.

#18 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27718 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:25 PM

View Postumoveme, on 19 October 2014 - 09:04 AM, said:

I have a butt and some thighs. I always find a pair I like when I go to the Lucky store. The chicks there know all of the fits etc. I've been wearing Lucky and Hudson for years. Look for big pocket styles too.
Lucky has awesome jeans. A bit pricey but awesome....

#19 RushBoingo

RushBoingo

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1094 posts
  • Interests:Concerts, Music, Amusement Parks, Road Trips, Laughing.
    Favorite Bands: Animal Collective, They Might Be Giants, Rush, too may others to list here

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:40 AM

I stopped wearing jeans at age 12 or so. They never fit right, get holes way too easily, don't contort easily to motion, have tight pockets, get really cold during the winter, they're BLUE! (hate that colour) and EVERYONE wears them.

These days I just wear these multipurpose pants from Canadian Costco stores. Don't even need to try them on, just grab the proper size and they seem to be opposite to all the problems I have with jeans.

#20 librarian

librarian

Aquarian Librarian

• Members
  • 5709 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:43 PM

The Double L jeans are durable, wash well. Orignal fit (waist at waist) and Relaxed for me, I Iike some room. $39.95

Styles: Relaxed, Traditonal, Straight Leg, Comfort
Washes: Stonewashed, faded, ultrafaded, black, khaki

Try 'em. you may like 'em.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users