Genesis "Selling England By The Pound"

Elton John "Good Bye Yellow Brick Road"

Steely Dan "Aja"

Marillion "Clutching At Straws"

Marillion "Script For A Jester's Tear"

Marillion "Childhood's End"

Savatage "Sirens"

Pat Travers "Puttin' it Straight"

The first six UFO albums with Michael Schenker!

Blue Oyser Cult "Mirrors"

The first six Van Halen records

Dio "Holy Diver"

The Cult "Electric"

All Budgie records

The Police: All records.

Every Simon Phillips album

Ozzy "Blizzard Of Oz"

Ozzy "Diary Of A Madman"

Primus "Sailing The Seas Of Cheese"

Queensryche "Operation Mindcrime"

RIOT "FIRE DOWN UNDER!"

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

First post here,Rush fan for 30+years.Opeth-Damnation,runners up Deep Purple-Made in Japan,Van Halen-S/T,Hendrix-Electric Ladyland,Yes-Going for the One,Porcupine Tree-Deadwing,Within Temptation-SilentForce,Focus-3 and most of Led Zeppelin.
  • Like 1

I'm probably going to get nailed for this as most Rush fans hate DMB.

Dave Matthews Band: Before These Crowded Streets-

It's a great album (although I prefer most of their 90's live albums even more). I don't like their new stuff that much.

another great one is Roger Waters "Amused to Death". A masterpiece and if it was a Pink Floyd album I'd rank it #2 right after The Wall.

• Like 1

Studio:

Grand Illusion - Styx

Dark Side of the Moon, Wish you where here - Pink Floyd

Thick as a Brick 2 - Ian Anderson

Foxtrot - Abbacab - Genesis (All those Albums freaking blow me away. Really incredible powerful stuff there)

Bat out of Hell - Meatloaf

Live:

Seconds Outs, Three Sides Live - Genesis (Seconds Out, might be my favorite live album. "Supper's Ready", in my opinion, is the greatest live performance of any song, except maybe La Villa Strangiatto from Exit Stage Left)

Live at Shooters Bar - Donnie Iris (bootleg)

Pulse - Pink Floyd

The Last Waltz - The Band

Edited by BigBob

I hesitate to nominate this as it is one of the most recent additions to my CD collection, but

Steven Wilson - The Raven that Refused to Sing (and other stories)

Even after listening to it for the nth time, it has the same effect on me as the first listening. I'm not a very emotional person but The Watchmaker literally moves me to tears.

• Like 1

I know this choice divides people but............

Kid A-Radiohead.

People Fawn all over OK Computer but honestly I was Never Impressed with it. And i was 12 in 97......so i remember the hype. Kid A blew me back and cemented me as a fan. Such a gorgeous soundscape album. Best at night on headphones. I've Looked forward to every album since.

Mick

• Like 1

Anything by Pat Metheny Group,but if I had to pick one it would be the live Travels double disc.Awesome!
  • Like 3

Ok, as far as prog goes, Yes blow me away further than Rush ever have. And no album stuns my senses as much as the sublime Tales From Topographic Oceans.

Mesmerizing brilliance, much like Miles Davis' Bitches Brew, although I love the whole damn thing, I cannot seem to stop replaying the first song!

• Like 6

Ok, as far as prog goes, Yes blow me away further than Rush ever have. And no album stuns my senses as much as the sublime Tales From Topographic Oceans.

Mesmerizing brilliance, much like Miles Davis' Bitches Brew, although I love the whole damn thing, I cannot seem to stop replaying the first song!

So are they going on your "firm favorites" list? :D

So are they going on your "firm favorites" list? :D

All the bands on my list have in some way changed me, and left a major impact on my tastes. Yes are currently in my good books, and based on Tales alone I think I should add them ASAP.

Yes are so unusual, I can't remember the last time I listened to a band and just felt so...peaceful. Miles Davis and Khoma come to mind, but Yes are something extraordinary.

I am playing Big Generator as I type this, and I know that overall it is a very commercial sounding effort, but only by Yes standards. Because if this is pop it is amongst the most complex and ambient that I have ever heard.

Yes are the best musical journey I have taken simce Rush. But funnily enough, I don't think I could have handled them if I hadn't first dipped my toe in prog-coloured waters with Rush. I think in years to come, I will look at Rush as my gateway band to better music. Sure, in my teen years I played bands like Opeth, Mastodon etc but neither left as deep an impression as Rush or even Yes.