Name one non-Rush album that consistently blows you away

bri-tor

Given the fact that "Quadrophenia" would be named by half the world population, I go for an outsider:

"Tears Laid In Earth", first album (1994) by the Norwegian band The 3rd And The Mortal

Oh really? That's news to me.

Well, its a big deal over here in the UK anyway...dunno bout the USA

It wasn't in the USA when it came out. At least not in my area. I could count on one hand anyone who genuinely loved the album. Maybe I didn't hang with the right crowd. :unsure:

Don't misunderstand me! it's definetely one of my favourite albums ever, as you can see in other posts of mine; i just wanted to pick a much less famous album.

If the album means to much to you, I have a Quadrophenia thread I started last year. Only a few people on a thread for an album that is supposed to be universally loved. Maybe things have changed since the seventies?

"Critical reaction to Quadrophenia was positive. Melody Maker '​s Chris Welch wrote "rarely have a group succeeded in distilling their essence and embracing a motif as convincingly", while Charles Shaar Murray described the album in New Musical Express as the "most rewarding musical experience of the year".[43] Reaction in the US was generally positive, though Dave Marsh, writing in Creem gave a more critical response.[43] Lenny Kaye, writing in Rolling Stone wrote "the Who as a whole have never sounded better" but added "on its own terms, Quadrophenia falls short of the mark".[41]

Retrospective reviews have been positive. Chris Jones, writing for BBC Music said "everything great about the Who is contained herein."[44] In 2013, Billboard, reviewing the album for its 40th anniversary said "Filled with performances packed with life and depth and personality, Quadrophenia is 90 minutes of the Who at its very best."[45] The album has sold 1 million copies and has been certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America.[46] In 2000 Q magazine placed Quadrophenia at #56 in its list of the 100 Greatest British Albums Ever.[47] The album has been ranked #267 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.[48]

Townshend now considers Quadrophenia to be the last great album that the Who recorded. In 2011, he said the group "never recorded anything that was so ambitious or audacious again", drawing particular praise for Moon's playing.[49]"

That doesn't change what I experienced when the album came out. I wasn't all over the world. I can only tell you what it was like in the area I grew up in.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8INwxK7N7U0/S1P_MF4ixVI/AAAAAAAAB2M/C4U5CIzkJdY/s400/Frampton+Comes+Alive!.jpg

One of the greatest live albums ever.

100% agree. Even today it sounds as fresh as it did then. This concert tour was the second ever concert I went to and the first I went to without my parents. It was awesome.

Very true, and when I saw him at MSG after the album came out, it was the first concert I ever went to that I wasn't disappointed. How could he mess up on a tour promoting a live album? :LOL:

• Like 1

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8INwxK7N7U0/S1P_MF4ixVI/AAAAAAAAB2M/C4U5CIzkJdY/s400/Frampton+Comes+Alive!.jpg

100% agree. Even today it sounds as fresh as it did then. This concert tour was the second ever concert I went to and the first I went to without my parents. It was awesome.

Very true, and when I saw him at MSG after the album came out, it was the first concert I ever went to that I wasn't disappointed. How could he mess up on a tour promoting a live album? :LOL:

It was the first concert I ever went to where I was up front too. He was so cute when he had hair. :)

• Like 1

It was the first concert I ever went to where I was up front too. He was so cute when he had hair. :)

That he was! :LOL:

• Like 1

Given the fact that "Quadrophenia" would be named by half the world population, I go for an outsider:

"Tears Laid In Earth", first album (1994) by the Norwegian band The 3rd And The Mortal

Oh really? That's news to me.

Well, its a big deal over here in the UK anyway...dunno bout the USA

It wasn't in the USA when it came out. At least not in my area. I could count on one hand anyone who genuinely loved the album. Maybe I didn't hang with the right crowd. :unsure:

Don't misunderstand me! it's definetely one of my favourite albums ever, as you can see in other posts of mine; i just wanted to pick a much less famous album.

If the album means to much to you, I have a Quadrophenia thread I started last year. Only a few people on a thread for an album that is supposed to be universally loved. Maybe things have changed since the seventies?

"Critical reaction to Quadrophenia was positive. Melody Maker '​s Chris Welch wrote "rarely have a group succeeded in distilling their essence and embracing a motif as convincingly", while Charles Shaar Murray described the album in New Musical Express as the "most rewarding musical experience of the year".[43] Reaction in the US was generally positive, though Dave Marsh, writing in Creem gave a more critical response.[43] Lenny Kaye, writing in Rolling Stone wrote "the Who as a whole have never sounded better" but added "on its own terms, Quadrophenia falls short of the mark".[41]

Retrospective reviews have been positive. Chris Jones, writing for BBC Music said "everything great about the Who is contained herein."[44] In 2013, Billboard, reviewing the album for its 40th anniversary said "Filled with performances packed with life and depth and personality, Quadrophenia is 90 minutes of the Who at its very best."[45] The album has sold 1 million copies and has been certified Gold by the Recording Industry Association of America.[46] In 2000 Q magazine placed Quadrophenia at #56 in its list of the 100 Greatest British Albums Ever.[47] The album has been ranked #267 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time.[48]

Townshend now considers Quadrophenia to be the last great album that the Who recorded. In 2011, he said the group "never recorded anything that was so ambitious or audacious again", drawing particular praise for Moon's playing.[49]"

That doesn't change what I experienced when the album came out. I wasn't all over the world. I can only tell you what it was like in the area I grew up in.

relax. I was just saying that it's a very well-received album and universally considered a classic. I can't speak for what your friends in 1973 thought about it.

Black Crowes - The Southern Harmony & Musical Companion

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

Jeff Buckley - Grace

Temple of the Dog - Self Titled

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime

Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet/Nil Recurring

Edited by Todem
  • Like 3

A few off the top of the head:

- Earth Wind And Fire "All 'n All"

- KISS "Alive"