Red Lenses: Gem or Turd?

fraroc

57 members have voted

1. 1. Is Red Lenses a Gem or a Turd

• Gem
    • Turd
    • Neither

I feel like musically, it's DEFINITLEY a gem. The bass line and the synth parts sound absolutely divine and I love the almost tribal sounding drums.

Lyric wise, it's kind of a turd. I mean "I see red and it hurts my head, Guess it must me something I read." It's like....Neil can do SO much better, he wrote the lyrics to 2112 and Xanadu for f*cks sake!

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

:blah: LABT. What say you?.......

I think I have a pretty good idea :LOL:

Me too. But at least Half The World wants to know..... :LOL:
  • Like 2

:blah: LABT. What say you?.......

Whoever made this poll should have made votes public.

In the case of the song that is the subject of this thread, if it is red, flush it down.

• Like 2

I feel like musically, it's DEFINITLEY a gem. The bass line and the synth parts sound absolutely divine and I love the almost tribal sounding drums.

Lyric wise, it's kind of a turd. I mean "I see red and it hurts my head, Guess it must me something I read." It's like....Neil can do SO much better, he wrote the lyrics to 2112 and Xanadu* for f*cks sake!

* with a lot of help from Samuel Coleridge
  • Like 3

A minor gem. Took a while for it to grow on me and the lyrics are pretty silly but overall one of their more creative songs.

For me there are 5 Rush albums where everything is a (varyingly significant) gem and GuP is one of them

Edited by len(songs)

A minor gem. Took a while for it to grow on me and the lyrics are pretty silly but overall one of their more creative songs.

For me there are 5 Rush albums where everything is a (varyingly significant) gem and GuP is one of them

The polished side.... Edited by Narpski

Everything on GUP is a gem, some shinier than others, but all gems none the less. For me, lyrics are not a big factor. You could stick the lyrics for 'C is for Cookie' over any Rush song, and I'll still like it.

Agreed. Music makes the song. There are many songs I listen to and sing along to every word but never put them together to get the meaning of the song.

• Like 1

I dig it. A fun departure for the boys that shows their sense of humor.

Agreed. One of my favorite moments in life was when my youngest, she's 18 and in college now, but was in middle school at time, was listening to this song in the truck with me.

The "Soviets are the blues" line came up and she giggled. I asked her what she was giggling about, thinking it was some boy or middle school social thing, and she said "The Soviets are the blues. The Soviets are red, but the whole Cold War thing gave us blues. Made us sad. That's funny."

I was very proud of my little one there. One, I am a Rush fan. Two, I used to teach history and government.

The song is quirky and even a bit stretched, but the play on "red" is a bit fun.

• Like 5

it's a really great song but there's better ones that I'd consider to be gems.
  • Like 1