Steven Wilson's 4th Solo Album

Union 5-3992

Enough of this already! I need my dose of Porcupine Tree!!

Am I the only one who doesn't like his solo stuff?

He's not doing Porcupine Tree anymore, he essentially is Porcupine Tree anyway, and so this is the NEW Porcupine Tree. He's doing everything he wants with his solo stuff, why would he go back to PT now? Just as Sting never went back to the Police, so Wilson won't go back to PT...

• Like 1

I can't wait for this - so excited!

I wonder if this will include the very same songs that SW previewed in Europe during his last tour. They were short lived on youtube, but they are out there if you know where to look. One of them was a longer prog masterpiece, the other shorter more standard arrangement. It'll be interesting to see if he changed those arrangements up or scrapped them altogether (SW's throwaways are often better than some other's best work...)

He's not doing Porcupine Tree anymore, he essentially is Porcupine Tree anyway, and so this is the NEW Porcupine Tree. He's doing everything he wants with his solo stuff, why would he go back to PT now? Just as Sting never went back to the Police, so Wilson won't go back to PT...

Plus a lot of the samples reminded me of Porcupine Tree/Blackfield. He's got another stellar band. Marco & Guthrie are just as good as, if not better than Gavin and John Wesley. He's happy and inspired and usually writes good music when he is. When he does something just because people want it, you get another Incident.

• Like 2

I wonder if this will include the very same songs that SW previewed in Europe during his last tour. They were short lived on youtube, but they are out there if you know where to look. One of them was a longer prog masterpiece, the other shorter more standard arrangement. It'll be interesting to see if he changed those arrangements up or scrapped them altogether (SW's throwaways are often better than some other's best work...)

He kind of sounds like it may be a double album like Grace For Drowning. There were a bunch of samples in there and he said there was 3 long songs.

• Like 1

Loved his last effort....by far his best solo output thus far. So I am looking forward to this one.

But I still want at least one more PT album and tour......they are amazing and better than his his solo stuff.

• Like 2

Looking forward to this very much indeed. I've only become aware of Steven Wilson's music during the last few weeks and I love it (almost as much as Rush).

He kind of sounds like it may be a double album like Grace For Drowning. There were a bunch of samples in there and he said there was 3 long songs.

Depends on how long is long for him. He mentioned in press interviews for Storm Corrosion prior to its release that all of the songs were 10+ long and that it was an hour long album. It turned out to be 47 minutes in length with the shortest song clocking in at 4:54. If it ends up as a double album, I hope it'd be similar to GFD in terms of it being like two albums for two different listening experiences. It sounds like it's going to be all over the place musically if not a bit more modern sounding.

Depends on how long is long for him. He mentioned in press interviews for Storm Corrosion prior to its release that all of the songs were 10+ long and that it was an hour long album. It turned out to be 47 minutes in length with the shortest song clocking in at 4:54. If it ends up as a double album, I hope it'd be similar to GFD in terms of it being like two albums for two different listening experiences. It sounds like it's going to be all over the place musically if not a bit more modern sounding.

Yeah it's too early to tell. But from the live stuff, one of them may be around 14-15 minutes and other will clock in at around 7-8. So that could be two of them

I wish he would get back to PT

I don't dig his solo work all that much

As great as Marco is, I prefer Gavin's playing and I prefer what Gavin and John Wesley bring into the fold

The clip above has a complete Xanadu progression vibe

The playing is very similar and the sound

I would very much like another PT album or at the very least an EP and tour

I understand why he doesn't go back

I think he feels that he took PT as far as he could and it was time to move on

But at least bring back Gavin Harrison

• Like 1

I feel as if GFD was too proggy for me. Like, it was way to sparse and it seemed rushed. I did like his first release however.

Oh and by the way, I LOVED "The Incident!" Sure, it's a grower, but hey, it beats FOAB anyday*

*I'm aware of the hate I'm getting for this

Oh and by the way, I LOVED "The Incident!" Sure, it's a grower, but hey, it beats FOAB anyday*

No hate from me. I'm glad that you loved The Incident. Definitely a grower, there's some top notch songs on the album. It's just that I love almost everything else before it more!

I wish he would get back to PT

I don't dig his solo work all that much

As great as Marco is, I prefer Gavin's playing and I prefer what Gavin and John Wesley bring into the fold

The clip above has a complete Xanadu progression vibe

The playing is very similar and the sound

I would very much like another PT album or at the very least an EP and tour

I understand why he doesn't go back

I think he feels that he took PT as far as he could and it was time to move on

But at least bring back Gavin Harrison

What makes you think a new PT album would sound like the other PT albums? They would more likely sound like his solo stuff now.

I feel as if GFD was too proggy for me. Like, it was way to sparse and it seemed rushed. I did like his first release however.

There's no hate, just answering your posts. An opposing view isn't hate.

• Like 1

The Incident is a good album, just not as solid as Fear or Deadwing for me. It probably comes in as third on the ranking. There's no hate on this board...just like what you want, who cares :huh:

I don't believe that for one moment. Wilson isn't a bitter old feck either. Eventually he'll jones, even in a one-off, to work with his old mates again. Album, tour...back to doing whatever else.

Mark my words, they'll play again. It's just not his thing right now. If I had a buck for every time bands promised not to work together again....