Steven Wilson's 4th Solo Album

Union 5-3992

Enough of this already! I need my dose of Porcupine Tree!!

Am I the only one who doesn't like his solo stuff?

He's not doing Porcupine Tree anymore, he essentially is Porcupine Tree anyway, and so this is the NEW Porcupine Tree. He's doing everything he wants with his solo stuff, why would he go back to PT now? Just as Sting never went back to the Police, so Wilson won't go back to PT...

I don't believe that for one moment. Wilson isn't a bitter old feck either. Eventually he'll jones, even in a one-off, to work with his old mates again. Album, tour...back to doing whatever else.

Mark my words, they'll play again. It's just not his thing right now. If I had a buck for every time bands promised not to work together again....

Yeah but that's just it, it will be just a one-off reunion tour or album, PT fans in here are clamoring for him to get back into the old PT routine as his main gig and make the solo albums the one-off events. That's not going to happen.

I don't think that will happen, but I don't think it has to either. You're never going to put a leash on a guy like Wilson, so you get what you get. But a one-off is still better than never and, believe me, PT fans will accept that over nothing. Some, like you, think it will NEVER happen....and I don't agree with that either. it'll never be his main squeeze again, but neither might this current band. He's a fickle dude whose interests shift and shape with time.

It's not like they all left on bad terms or anything. This break is more of a way to recharge their batteries and find inspiration. They all seem to be close still, plugging each other's music and whatnot. I see no reason why they won't get together again one day. But I'm fine with their solo albums until then. John Wesley's Disconnect and Steven Wilson's The Raven That Refused To Sing were great. And I think Gavin is playing with King Crimson right now. I'll just be patient, I expect they'll get together again a few years or so.

I've heard that Wilson regrets The Incident [citation needed] - although at the time of release he was proud of it, calling it among his best three works (the "IN" series, In Absentia, Insurgentes, and Incident) [

...I do know that he was tired of writing metal, and that Richard Barbieri didn't want to make jazz, so that could be reason enough for the split really.

I'm looking forward to more Minnemann on this next album.

• Like 1

I've heard that Wilson regrets The Incident [citation needed] - although at the time of release he was proud of it, calling it among his best three works (the "IN" series, In Absentia, Insurgentes, and Incident) [

...I do know that he was tired of writing metal, and that Richard Barbieri didn't want to make jazz, so that could be reason enough for the split really.

All of what you said is absolutely true, but in another interview prior to the release The Incident, he said he hopes it would be just as good if not better than In Absentia. He didn't specifically mentioned Barbieri by name, but all evidence points to him being the anti-jazz person in the band In the link below he says that Lightbulb Sun, Deadwing, and The Incident were not good albums. Specifically he mentioned Deadwing as being "patchy" and that every other album were steps forward (Stupid Dream, In Absentia, and Fear Of A Blank Planet).

http://www.examiner....credible-career

Edited by PolarizeMe

All of what you said is absolutely true, but in another interview prior to the release The Incident, he said he hopes it would be just as good if not better than In Absentia. He didn't specifically mentioned Barbieri by name, but all evidence points to him being the anti-jazz person in the band In the link below he says that Lightbulb Sun, Deadwing, and The Incident were not good albums. Specifically he mentioned Deadwing as being "patchy" and that every other album were steps forward (Stupid Dream, In Absentia, and Fear Of A Blank Planet).

http://www.examiner....credible-career

I liked what he had to say about Porcupine Tree in the interview. He's done all he can do with them for the moment. He loves and keeps in touch with the other members, and they could all get back together again when they either want to reinvent each other or just feel like that's what they want to do.

It's not in the interview I linked, but I'm quite interested in a possible In Absentia Blu-Ray 5.1 release he mentioned in another interview (supposed to be for its 10th anniversary but not anymore). There's allegedly a 5.1 mix of Opeth's Damnation that he also did which hasn't surfaced yet, but it'd be amazing for sure Edited by PolarizeMe

It's not in the interview I linked, but I'm quite interested in a possible In Absentia Blu-Ray 5.1 release he mentioned in another interview (supposed to be for its 10th anniversary but not anymore). There's allegedly a 5.1 mix of Opeth's Damnation that he also did which hasn't surfaced yet, but it'd be amazing for sure

Unfortunately for me, I don't have a 5.1 system. Even though I own the SW 5.1 mix of Red, Close to the Edge, Lightbulb Sun, and Stupid Dream. But the stereo mixes on the CD's for them is great

Porcupine Tree and Pineapple Thief are two great bands that I constantly confuse.

Porcupine Tree and Pineapple Thief are two great bands that I constantly confuse.

They sound nothing like each other! :eh:

Not the music, the names!

I prefer Pineapple Thief but I still keep muddling the band names up...

I once bought a Pineapple Thief album, after a couple of listens I had to take it outside and down to the pond in the far field and bury it in the mud so I could begin to forget that I'd ever bought it!

• Like 3

I once bought a Pineapple Thief album, after a couple of listens I had to take it outside and down to the pond in the far field and bury it in the mud so I could begin to forget that I'd ever bought it!

Nice story.

Still prefer Pineapple Thief. All the way.

Nice story.

That's fine. :D-13:

Nice story.

That's fine. :D-13:

Actually don't quote me on that as I still haven't heard enough Porcupine Tree to make a fair judgement...and I just remembered how much I enjoyed FOABP back in the day.

Nice story.

:eyeroll:

Count me in as being super excited for the album! :haz:

That riff at the start of the video is almost borderline :rush: like. I dig it!

Yes! That song has RUSH all over it!!

It has an overtly Xanadu-ish vibe to it. Luminol had a :rush: /Yes vibe going with the bass tone on that song. I met Nick Beggs after a show on the last tour and I asked him if he was going for the Geddy Lee/Chris Squire tone on Luminol by using an aggressive sound for the song, he pretty much said he was at the insistence of SW. Said some nice words about SW being a great bassist as well!

• Like 1

I do like their song Nothing At Best though. Haven't heard much from them to give a good judgement of them but obviously I prefer Porcupine Tree.

• Like 1

Nice story.

:eyeroll:

Ok...will start exploring Porcupine Tree.

I never realised until today how awful Pineapple Thiefs lyrics are. I like their sound, but I sat and read the lyrics and I thought they read like the journals of a twelve year old girl.

Read some Porcupine Tree lyrics...far more interesting so will have to explore the music again!