Steven Wilson's 4th Solo Album

Union 5-3992

Thanks you guys. Now I'm in a full blown Wilson Obsession...

+1

Damn, I catch myself listening to that new album again and again.

I'm defenceless, it's the best Wilson-involved release since The Incident.

Hesmovedon.

• Like 2

"Stars Die" is my favorite PT song.

It's Steven's mom's favorite as well. Seriously!

Is she a rocker???

I don't think so. He did say in an interview for The Raven that he played his albums to his parents during each album cycle and that his mom was more partial to the ballady type songs.

I think I am finally digging Blackfield IV thanks to this thread!

RUSH WILSON WORSHIPPER!!!!

For what it is, IV is good IMO, but I know a lot of fans who don't acknowledge its existence. If anything, the songs that SW was involved in are the best songs on the album which include Pills, Sense Of Insanity, Faking, and Jupiter. There's quite a lot of SW in the album (even if it's just backing vocals) than most fans think even though it wasn't promoted as such.

Edited by PolarizeMe

Hey man! Great post!! Thanks for informing me on the songs Steven is on!

You can tell actually just by listening.

I didn't get it until now.

What is your take on Insergentes and Grace For Drowning?

Not as strong as Raven and Hand?

I love both Insurgentes and Grace. Prior to HCE, to me Insurgentes was the most "modern" and varied sounding of the solo work. GFD on the other hand was almost middle of the road between Insurgentes and Raven for me; if Insurgentes was one extreme of being modern sounding and the Raven being the other extreme of '70s prog sounding. You've got songs on Disc 2 of GFD like Raider II being almost like a nod to King Crimson (Lizard particularly) yet there's Index which is a bit more modern sounding and too far off from Abandoner from the Insurgentes album. With Grace though, I listen to the album in different sittings (i.e. Disc 1 on one day and then Disc 2 on another day). I used to listen to both discs in the same sitting but once I started listening to them separately I totally got what SW meant by "I advise anyone from listening to both albums back to back". I get a different experience from listening to them separately.

It's funny. I think all of his solo albums are very strong albums individually and when compared together and for me that's because they're all quite different. They all have their own nice character to them that isn't quite present on the other albums. For example, there's a vibe about Insurgentes that isn't quite there or the same on HCE. For intents and purposes I said that Raven's my favorite (prior to the release of HCE), but honestly it depends on the day/my mood. One day, I might be yearning for HCE like today, but then a few days later I'm in a Grace mood.

Going back to Blackfield IV, I've been skimming through the songs and observed that SW sang either lead or backing vocals in some capacity on every track except for the 3 songs which had guest lead vocals and the final song After The Rain. SW's got a distinct vocal delivery which gets easier to hear the more you listen to his stuff but it's especially noticeable in Blackfield and to a lesser extent No-Man (but he doesn't sing much backing vocals in that project to begin with).

• Like 2

I would echo pretty much everything that PolarizeMe said about SW's albums. I love the fact that each of his solo albums has a different sound and a different character and that you can never second guess which musical direction he's going to turn towards next. For me, with The Raven and the first disc of Grace, the love was deep and immediate. Insurgentes, Grace 2nd disk and HCE were slower burning but ultimately just as brilliant. As to which is my favourite - it depends on how I'm feeling at the time.
  • Like 2

Hey PM! Your awesome post has polarized me.

Bravo.

I'm too busy to comment right now but I get it and I agree with most.

I was going to give up on this new album but now I am in love with it.

"Perfect Life" reminds me of some Psychoderelict by Townshend.

I know I'm strange but I hear some Townshend throughout.

I'm obsessing over Blackfield again.

Live In NYC is beyond EPIC!

Forget Rush!

I'm a Wild Wilson Worshipper!

What could be more hipper?

Lol

• Like 1

Ive seen Beggs on a few occasions. Once he was in Warren Cuccurillios band and the other time playing with John Paul Jones. He does wear a skirt but hes an amazing bass/stick player.

Agreed

I met Beggs who stayed awhile near the merchtable after a gig on the last tour to talk with fans and sign stuff. Nice fellow. We talked a bit about stuff like good bass playing tips and why he used a pick on the studio recording of Luminol (on the 2012 tour he played it fingerstyle). Like when I met SW and Guthrie later that night, I probably made a fool out of myself (stumbling through every other word :LOL:) but he was quite chill with how I was acting.

SW's gonna have an opening act for the 2nd Royal Albert Hall gig and it's going to be commedian Matt Berry playing a set with his band. To say that anyone didn't see this coming would be grossly an understatement.

So this is the wrong thread to ask this...fully aware of that...

But I feel silly for slating this band when it appears so many of my favourite bands share core members of this ones fanbase. Where should I start if I am a newbie?

I have played some of their music, but I have the feeling I was too much of a lazy dumbass to enjoy what I was hearing.

So this is the wrong thread to ask this...fully aware of that...

But I feel silly for slating this band when it appears so many of my favourite bands share core members of this ones fanbase. Where should I start if I am a newbie?

The Porcupine Tree album "In Absentia" is the one that got me. It's proggy, but accessible, with tasty heaviness, and depth. Great songs and very interesting top to bottom. Cinematic.

For his solo work, I would definitely recommend "The Raven that Refused to Sing." His solo work is more eclectic. Raven is a more classic prog work - but it just all hangs together so well. Cool instrumentation. It's got some really beautiful songs, and some terrorizing dark moments - cinematic is the word.

His production is world class - particularly on the 5.1 mixes.

• Like 1

i have not heard one note of Steve's solo work.....i plan to change it. but...........man i LOVE PT. SUCH an AMAZING amazing band. i said before wonderful blend of the complex and accessible

Wonderful band. 2 months in i'm hooked.

WAKE UP SEGUE!!!!!!

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

i have not heard one note of Steve's solo work.....i plan to change it. but...........man i LOVE PT. SUCH AN AMAZING amazing BAND. i said before wonderful blend of the complex and accessible

Wonderful band. 2 months in i'm hooked.

WAKE UP SEGUE!!!!!!

Mick

I HAVE TRIED A GAZILLION TIMES SINCE I DISCOVERED THEM IN 2006!

Nothing clickity clicked with me.

I did really enjoy Fear Of A Blank Planet...Just remembered that as I type this...been years since I spun that.

Must go find...